Rod Recommendations

1 minute ago, kmcrosby78 said:

I just had a quick look at Ugly Stik's for you Hamish as another option. Two look like options - the BW2040S802 (8ft, 20-40lb, up to 4 ounce casting) or BWSF1530S902 (9ft, 15-30lb, up to 5 ounce casting). This website has all the specs (further below) - I think it only sells/delivers to the US but I'm sure you'd find them in Australia (will leave that to you 🙂).

https://www.purefishing.com/bigwater-spinning-rod-1292633?variant=1539234

Out of interest, what's your planned use for it? Sharks?

Thank you Kelvin, I plan to use it for livebaiting for thready and jewies in the river, as the sinkers I'm normally using are about 110 grams plus a livie can make a pretty heavy weight to cast. I like the slightly longer rod to get some good distance while I'm casting too. I'll have a look into those.

On 28/4/2023 at 7:08 AM, rayke1938 said:

Go local wilson or gary howard.

Local? Wilson = made in China (except for Venoms which are $$$$$$) and Gary howard = apart from the oversize surf rods and a few other lines he rolls here they are made in Vietnam. 

im all for supporting Aussie businesses - it keeps people in jobs. It’s just tough when they shout everyone 4000 new rods and a week on the Big Cat and I don’t get invited! 

Edited by Andrew_P
Add info

28 minutes ago, Bob9863 said:

Important question, what's the budget? 

There's plenty of rods to suit what you need but the quality varies a lot along with the price. 

Probably about $200 though could be higher depending on if it's worth it.

1 hour ago, Andrew_P said:

Local? Wilson = made in China (except for Venoms which are $$$$$$) and Gary howard = apart from the oversize surf rods and a few other lines he rolls here they are made in Vietnam. 

im all for supporting Aussie businesses - it keeps people in jobs. It’s just tough when they shout everyone 4000 new rods and a week on the Big Cat and I don’t get invited! 

Surely no one on those boats uses those rods again, every Sammy Hitzke video I see there are so many rods for everyone. 

1 hour ago, Andrew_P said:

Haha. 

Yeah, product testing for tax purposes. 

I wish. 

I chuckle to myself when the servo attendants ask me if I'd like a tax receipt after filling the boat. 

I wish I could put it through tax somehow. 

The only rod I have that comes close to those specs is the Shimano Anthem SW 792 popper rod but it might be too stiff for your needs as it is a PE8-10 and can handle 100-250gm weights and it is 7'9" and 2 piece, Shimano also make a PE5 version in 8ft which handles 50-150 gm also in 2 piece and they are all about the $300 mark, don't know any thing about the last one as I didn't pay much attention to it when I was looking for a heavy popper rod.

I would say if you are after jewies and that sort of thing then my first one would probably be too stiff and way overkill, I bought it for the purpose of skull dragging big GT's away from the reef walls, the second one going by it's specs would probably be better suited. Probably worth having a feel of it assuming you can find one in a store. I got mine at Tackle World in Lawnton who had to bring one in to show me but they also had quite a few different brands and types, and I chose it out of about 6-8 different rods, I also usually don't buy Shimano gear but made an exception in this case because it seemed to be the best built one for what I wanted to do with it.

Back when I lived in WA, I used some Tiger Ugly Stiks which I built up to about 9ft, and I used 4-5oz star sinkers with a live 150-200mm herring attached, so pretty heavy and couldn't cast all that far with them, I think the whippy tip with that much weight works against getting any great distance, however that still worked for me because most of the time the jewies weren't that far away from the rocks at the breakwalls it was just that casting weight that was the problem. Anyway, that was a long time ago but every now and then I check out the latest Ugly's and their action doesn't seem to have changed all that much over the years.

If you do get lucky and hook a large Jewie, those Ugly stik rods are pretty well unbreakable even with high sticking and will tolerate 1 or 2 line classes above what they are rated for, not referring to the newish graphite type ones which you can't high stick those. Just my 2 cents worth.

• 3 weeks later...

Get onto Chris Britton mate.  Down at Redland Bay.  Now full time rod making.  Good guy - was on Swains Charter with him last year and he can definitely fish.

This is probably close to what you want 9 foot, 6-10kg but if you talk to him he will give you plenty of guidance.  On FB as well and responds to messages.

https://www.chrisbrittonrods.com/product-page/samurai-slugger-6-10kg

1 hour ago, Huxstang said:

Get onto Chris Britton mate.  Down at Redland Bay.  Now full time rod making.  Good guy - was on Swains Charter with him last year and he can definitely fish.

This is probably close to what you want 9 foot, 6-10kg but if you talk to him he will give you plenty of guidance.  On FB as well and responds to messages.

https://www.chrisbrittonrods.com/product-page/samurai-slugger-6-10kg

Thanks @Huxstang, I'll have a look at it.