eating from the brisbane river??

dom...

Look,

I still remember the festering drain it used to be, so I will probably never eat anything out of it, but it is true since surly Soorley stopped the dredging, and the EPA started putting the pressure on, it is a lot cleaner. If you want to eat anything out of the river, I'd still suggest giving the bream a miss (apparently a kilo bream is a very old fish, 10 or 20years) as they may still have acumulated heavy metals etc, or anything else likely to be old or an apex preditor.

Yeah look i have eaten from the river a few times. Im still here! :)

I prob would not eat from the city reach. But from the mouth and from far upstram i have no issues. However with the way tides work etc this is really prob no different.

Also with prawns all the prawns in the river move in and out of the bay. Chances are if you buy local produce its been in the river at some point!!

But as Feral said as well, i would prob avoiding eating overly large and potentially old fish. For example apparantly big jew are suually full of worms. However i have heard this is typical not just of the river specimens.

Angus

In the good old days about 30 years ago used to catch up to 200 bream at sunken wall and gave them away to neighbours ( didnt tell them where they came from) and none of them died, There are still a few river beam trawlers going and they put all their prawns through the fish markets. They also put a lot of catfish through so if you eat takeaway fish the odds are fairly high that it could be catfish. It used to be sold as cod I dont know what they call it now.

Ray

Ray - tell that to Gary - he says the fishing is same today as it was 20 years ago. I'll like to see them catch 200 bream today. What's more I think 200 was probably conservative - I have heard they use to pull tonnes of bream from the river. Not there now!

On another report I mentioned that I counted 11 trawlers working the river at the one time.

So I suppose if fish from the River was a threat the health dept would be on to it!

But what about the Sharks we are going to catch? - They are \"big\"

I would say that due to their migration pattern they would be OK to eat but I am guessing!

it seems the closer u get to the bay the cleaner the safer the fish are to eat...or is it the other way:dry: hmmmm....lol...you never know we could be eating fish that we buy from the shop that could be out of the river...and apparently the chinese eat the catfish so u could sell the decent catfish to them to make a little bit of cash...

It saddens me to read a post of this type, Surely we are all here to promote fishing and companionship and help each other improve on their fishing,not to cast slurs on the integerity of other members.

This may be a private \"in joke but in my opinion the forum is not the place to publish it.

If you disagree with something that someone else posts please post it in an respectfull manner or contact them directly. Please do not insult all the members by posting something for all to see.

We had a post similar to this one a couple af weeks ago and i have just got rid of the foul taste in my mouth.

I am not in favour of censorship and believe that everyone has a right to free speech but that does not give anyone the right to slander. It would be a sad day if all posts had to be censored by the administrator.

Chaz if you wish to discuss this furthur please send me a message or ring me on 32068583.

Ray Kennedy

Mate, if u joking thats fine, but as ray said, were fisherman and companion ship is what its all about. if u want to be a shit kicker then do it somewhere else, but as far as im concerned why screw around on something 2 guys put a heap of effort into. I beleive this topic was about eating fish from the river. Anyways if abu cant catch fish he has gone out of he way to learn how to by joing the site.

DAVE

Gerty: You will the find the Brisbane River is salty or at least Brakkish all the way up to about Karana downs.

During long periods with little to no rain this is emphasised as very little fresh water is coming down from the impoundments to freshen it up a bit.

This has been the case since the river was extensively dredged.

Hope this clears things up a bit.

A common key to working out where the salt/brakkish water ends is to identify where the saltwater variety of mangroves stop flourishing. In the Brisbane rivers case this occurs pretty much smack bang at Kookooburra park at Karana Downs.

Cheers.

Angus

Post edited by: Angus, at: 2006/09/13 12:01

Post edited by: Angus, at: 2006/09/13 12:01

• 1 month later...

Yes, people eat them all the time. When you think about it, there's really no difference between eating a Bull Shark from the river or ocean. That's because Bull Sharks go into rivers to give birth, and then quite often spend a lot of their time as youngsters in the rivers.

• 4 weeks later...

Mate i dont eat fish, but my family does. the jew and mud crabs ive brought home and cooked up have been a treat apparently, tasted great and no extra limbs growing from anybody as an after effect! My doctor actually eats the cat fish he catches from under the indro bridge!

• 6 months later...

Sorry to drag this old post up. I'm pretty new to this forum so I'm basically reading every single post to soak in as much info as I can!

And yeap, I'm chinese and we LOVE our catties and stingrays! There's only ever 1 way to cook stingrays and that's SAMBAL Stingray. There're various types of sambal though, so try all of them to see what suits ur taste-buds. Hehe!

And if you guys ever think of throwing a stingray back into the water coz you hate the taste, think of me please? :P

I used to love the \"scallops\" you got in the fish n chip shop when I was a kid. I knew full well it was stingray flap, but I loved em. These days I am pretty sure they are just generic \"whatever we are throwing out this week minced up\" because they dont taste anywhere near as good!

Archived