Hamilton Island Help

Angus

Hey everyone.

A very good friend gave Tanya and I a sweet wedding present :) 3 Days on their 40 foot Riviera around Hamilton Island!

So, i recieved an email this morning and apparantly I am on fresh Coral trout detail :P

I was wondering if anyone had any hints or tips RE fishing around that area. I have fished the Swaines reef and I was planning on employing similar tactics + a few lures.

Any advice would be much appreciated :)

Angus

• 3 months later...

float half a pillie or a livie in around any bommie and you are guaranteed to get nailed. go as light on the lead as the tide allows - if you keep it off the bottom you will have more success. other than trout expect cod and tusk fish, sweetlip and red emperor. most of the islands have reefy patches around them, the more isolated the better. otherwise, SP's in amongst the bommies will get smashed every time, good luck getting them out again. poppers/stickbaits in and around the bommies, headlands etc where current and eddies happen will offer the GT option, also mackeral at this time of year. i would fish a minimum of 40-50lb main and 80lb 10X leader around the bommies, there is some heavy structure and some heavier fish. it sounds unsporting but when a 6-8kg trout hits your bait in between two bommies it is the only way to get them out. you wouldn't stand a chance on 20lb. if you have a tender available, drive in towards the islands and you will often find bommies everywhere. that is where you need to fish. otherwise, float livies out wide of the bommies for bigger trout, mackeral and GT's.

get a current map of the green zones/yellow zones though, there are many of them up there!

can't wait for the report on this one! hope this might help a bit.

Angus wrote:

Hey everyone.

A very good friend gave Tanya and I a sweet wedding present :) 3 Days on their 40 foot Riviera around Hamilton Island!

So, i recieved an email this morning and apparantly I am on fresh Coral trout detail :P

I was wondering if anyone had any hints or tips RE fishing around that area. I have fished the Swaines reef and I was planning on employing similar tactics + a few lures.

Any advice would be much appreciated :)

Angus

Sausages are a hot bait.

Angus wrote:

The couple we are going with sailed the riv up there last weekend.

While they were having lunch on location Sharon caught this on a peice of sasuage from the BBQ :P

Im excited.

Angus [img size=400]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/Hamilton_Isl_weekend_April_08_133.jpg

What are the chances she is an Oral-B dentist??? :silly:

wow you lucky bugger angus, hamo is a great spot youll love it. Awesome place i used to go there not in-frequently when we lived up north.

As for fishing, i cant remember all that much. I do remember i got a nice trout trolling a homemade lure over some reef near there.

sorry i couldnt be of more help.

Im stressed though.

I hate talking things up coz of good old Murphy and his laws (who was that poor Irish bugger anyway)??

Anyway ill do my best but no promises.

Worst case scaenrio is ill have some sweet scenic shots and some shots of the oh so sexy boat we shall be on.

Angus

if you can bring to rods

bring 1 around 20lb main and round 40lb leader (this is your light outfit lol)

and for your second 1 if you have 1 that suits around 40 or 50 mainline braid and minimum 60lb leader

and just bring sp's round 5inch plus with jigheads with strong hooks and thel need to be heavy jigheads strong current there and popers or divers and for divers the best lure is red head and white body there

Archived