Shallow water lizards - Upper Brisbane River 16/05

Plastic Fantastic

Hey guys,

Took today off uni to meet up with a few of my mates from work and fishing_cherry and tried to tempt some more of those little bream I caught the day before. So, we get to colleges crossing around 9ish and fished the last hour of the incoming tide. We were fishing the main channel that shoots under bridge when fishing_cherry got two ~15cm flathead on a squidgy bug :laugh: followed by a nice little 26cm FL bream. I was using an SX40 but decided to try my new TT switchblade and boy these things cast like a bullet! I was able to cast right into the deep section of the river and as a result the next 10 minutes saw me land a 27cm FL bream and a average sized flattie around 45cm. That was really it for that spot so after a few more failed hook ups we went up to the bakery for a pie and to kill some time before it was shallow enough to fish at Johnson's Rocks.

This is where the fun began :woohoo: So we got down to Johno's at about 2ish and started fishing the deep channel for bream/flatties. First cast and just as I'm lifting the switchblade outta the water THUNK something grabs it! I give it a shake and the water at my feet explodes and after a rather long fight with 6lb leader I land my personal best flathead - 61cm! :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:

[img size=500]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/61cm_Flathead___TT_Switchblade__Johnson__s_Rocks_AFO.jpg

I was rapt! 5 minutes after releasing that fella fishing_cherry yells out 'I'm on!' and out of the shallows a MASSIVE flathead - at least 75cm - throws it head out of the water throws his lure and dives back down...Hugh wasn't too happy after that let me tell you haha poor guy...Anyways after those two fish someone ended up landing a flathead every 10 minutes or so, with most of them pushing 48cm and one or two over 50cm. They where tremendous fun on the light 6lb leaders and fast flowing shallows - about 2 to 3 feet deep! My TT switchblade is now missing an eye and is fairly scratched up but I'm not complaining :P

post-1541-144598458008_thumb.jpg

My switchblade has a gold head silver body and bronze back, was using him with the snap clip in the middle hole, just slowly bouncing him along the bottom.

Johnson's rocks is in between colleges crossing and kookaburra park - but anywhere up there is producing good flathead numbers, just gotta get the tides right :)

Archived