Stop Watch Bassin'

Schultzy

Got home from work at 1am, had brekkie, in bed by 2am, alarm went off at 5am, :blink: bewdy, fishin'.

Dragged the missus over to the bass pond for her first paddle in a kayak (she's fished from the canoe for 25 years though). Have to be back at work at 1pm :( so allowed myself two hours on the water.

Fished a new area and in spite of plenty of bird activity and bait on the sounder we went around and round for an hour without a touch. Bugger, :pinch: half our fishing time gone and nothing to show. Doubt started to creep in. Perhaps we should high tail it over to a proven area. Nope, we'll stay here where the bait is, we decided.

With 45 minutes left on the clock, Rosemary came pedalling over, "have you got pliers to take this off"? HMM, I might take a piccie first, little bass but better than a donut. :) Another 15 minutes later I got a smallish one then we started heading back across towards the car.

I had marked one area where there was stacks of bait and a few arches so I volunteered to scoot across and do one more pass then catch up for the pedal back.

We had made half a dozen passes over this spot without a bump earlier, so I wasn't too confident. Ten minutes of fishing time left. This time though, on the first pass I got a hookup. Not a bad bass but my photographer is 400 metres away and facing the wrong direction. Ah, well, Shake him off and start pedalling. Five minutes left on the clock. Did a tight loop and back over the spot, bingo, a double hookup. One was a solid bass, the other a skinny golden. Looked at the clock, times up, got to go. :( I hooked the golden onto the Goblok and towed him back across to where Rosemary was waiting just so I could get a piccie, then let him go.

Wouldn't you know it, when I get there, the missus is waiting for the pliers again with another bass caught 20 metres from the car.

Tally,

Rosemary, 2 bass, one cattie.

Me, 3 bass, one golden.

First bass of the morning. [img size=500]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/Bfo_7947.jpg

post-108-14459846495_thumb.jpg

Good to see mrs Shultzy getting in on the action (and repping too;) )

As you mentioned, your yella was long and skinny...with goldens, do you reckon the rounder "football" shape comes with age or do fish in different environments develop differntly ?

thanks for sharing, have fun at work:(

Rocket

Angus wrote:

I like the his and her shirts :P

Well done mate. That last bass looks a cracker!

Angus

Yeah Mate, told you the small shirt wouldn't go unused. ;)

The last one and the two I threw back without a piccie were all good solid Wivenhoe fish, around 50 and fat as mud.

Rocket75 wrote:

with goldens, do you reckon the rounder "football" shape comes with age or do fish in different environments develop differntly ?

Rocket

Rod,

I've caught goldens from the same small lake (Dyer) from the same year class (very early days of stocking over there) with totally different body shapes. Some littles only 2 years old very round and fat, others lean.

Might be the skinny ones are males? Never dissected enough to be sure.

And yes I am having fun at work.B)

BIG GAV wrote:

No lures in the photos. What did the damage?

Strangely enough, the Spoonbills that have been doing so well in recent outings were ineffective on this outing.

All of the bass were caught on black B65D Boomerangs and the golden took a purple B65D.

I think the poor lighting made the shiny Spoonbills fail. The sun still hadn’t burnt through the fog when we left.

What’s that old adage? Dark day = dark lures. Seemed to work this time.

Anyway, whatever the reason for the hot favourite failing, it is a good excuse to buy more lures. :woohoo:

jimmybob wrote:

u dont need a excuse let alone a good one to buy more lures!....its a mans right to buy lures.......aint it?:dry: ..thats what i tell mrs jimmybob anyway:P

that's right... they can buy shoes or whatever

we buy fishing gear...

Something like that?

jimmybob wrote:

u dont need a excuse let alone a good one to buy more lures!....its a mans right to buy lures.......aint it?

Jimmy,

When there are as many lures in the house as there are in mine, yes I do need an excuse.:(

Some of the valid excuses include;

Don't have one of those.

Don't have quite enough of those.

It's my birthday.

It's payday.

It's Saturday.

It's Shopping day.

Look there's a tackle shop and why drive past without calling in.

Archived