Hinze Dam Social Comp Report - 1st March 09

username_taken

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Angus wrote:

[]

Mal you did a stirling job convincing Tanya that moving to Straddy for a year before rug rats come along is a good idea!

Looks like 2010 could be the year :P

Cheers mate.

Oh but you have apparantly set up a phone conferance between Tanya & Leeane :P

Angus

No worries I am here to help

I gotta say there were some stand out efforts. For me an award should go to best new team being Henry and Nigal, far out they are hunters, no fish is safe when they are around.

Paul was another outstanding performer, ruthless and unrelenting. Thinking, thinking thinking, is the best way I can describe his approach.

And not to be forgotton is Tom. Gezz he can chase and catch a fish. This guy has 1 lung and 1 gill.

Well done you guys.

What an awesome weekend! Weather was gorgeous, got to know a few people, and everyone was lovely and friendly :cheer:

It was a fairly different experience for for both Miss Looi and I who are both relatively new to fishing, as well as the boys (viperon + k.poltergiest) as it was their first time freshwater-fishing in Australia. On Saturday, the two of us girls had a grand old time yanking up bass, grunters and catties with the shrimp while the boys played around with their lures... On Sunday they were very patient in teaching us a few things about luring (and had to put up with us snagging + losing quite a few of their precious lures :blush: but of course we love them for being so incredibly tolerant!)

Thanks again Angus and Steve for organizing, had a great time, looking forward to the next event :)

Early morning meetup @ 7am.

28022009001.jpg

I got up at 5 to get ready for my very 1st AFO event... took a nice drive down to the campsite and arrived at exactly 7am... we waited for awhile before the last of us appeared and mingled in the meantime... I was introduced to the mates that I would be sharing the tinny with, Henry aka. Do$tylz and Nigel aka magiva... both top blokes!

Preparing to launch from the ramp.

28022009002g.jpg

After that we all headed down to the respective ramps to launch, and unloaded the tinnies...

Steve giving a quick instructional prep talk.

28022009003h.jpg

Steve was kind enough to give us all a quick lecture on rigging a paternoster rig and other helpful tips. Cheers mate!

magiva prepping our boat

28022009004.jpg

but in the meantime, magiva was anxiously prepping the boat... obviously not listening to steve haha...

Do$tylz : "Where's the fish?"

magiva: "Where's the beer?"

28022009007.jpg

and then we were away! It was pretty exciting for me as this was my first time in a tinny on a lake... Do$tylz and magiva were pretty entertaining along the way... constantly cracking jokes and making me feel at ease...

magiva with his first catch of the day - a small bass.

28022009011u.jpg

28022009012.jpg

We spotted a 3-4ft long eel having a good time but we decided to leave him alone... in the meantime magiva and Do$tylz were teaching me the finer points of using lures...

Next thing we know, magiva has a hit... a small bass...

my 1st catch of the day - a small bass.

28022009013.jpg

Then a couple of moments later I get my very own small bass...

Do$tylz's first bass of the day.

28022009014.jpg

Do$tylz on the other hand... was hitting grunters all the way...

But that only got better... he decided to switch to a blade...

A very good idea...

Followed quickly by a huge cattie.

28022009015g.jpg

And then the award winning 43cm Yellowbelly

28022009016.jpg

28022009017.jpg

Do$tylz landed a HUGE yellow... laughing all the way as he did it...

apparently all he did was let down the blade... and jig it a couple of times..

and BOOM!

Next up magiva caught a very respectable 41cm yellow.

28022009018q.jpg

Magiva got the hint and threw on a blade too... landing himself a huge yellow too...

good move mate!

the Yellowbellies in my eski.

28022009019a.jpg

Next Do$tylz generously hooked me up with a blade... but I guess the fish could smell that I was a newbie... so they refused to play ball...

Back for lunch.

28022009020.jpg

We made our way back for lunch...

Tanya on the barbie.

28022009021.jpg

Eat up boys!

28022009022.jpg

Pretty good Barbie if you ask me... the bread and patties were plentiful... tasted good too...

My 2nd and final catch of the day - Banded Grunter

28022009024.jpg

We went back out after that but didn’t get much save for a few grunters and small bass...

My only other catch of the day was a grunter...

Overall, I enjoyed myself thoroughly... I learnt much from the 2 top blokes in my tinny and had some good laughs throughout the day... it was a shame that I didn’t catch anything memorable but I guess thats fishing... all in all a good experience for a green angler like me...

Do$tylz and magiva, thanks for the guidance and being patient for the many times that I snagged myself... thanks for the memories (and beer!!!)... and congrats to Do$tylz for winning the longest yellowbelly award... well done mate!

ANGUS! WHEN IS OUR NEXT SOCIAL!!!!!!

I really enjoy reading these camp reports simply to see how many people get onto their first bass/yella/toga.

I know my first AFO/Sports Tuition camp was the beggining of my addiction to this kind of fishing.

Would be great to see the stats how many people did indeed catch either their 1st freshwater fish/1st on lure, or upgrade a PB on this trip..I'm sure there would be a few.

Sounds like a great weekend, congrats to all the prize winners:cheer:

looks like an awesome weekend was had by all.. congrats to the winners and what a surprise... by the sound of it mal won most alcohol consumed.. AGAIN!

really wish i could have been there but other stuff came up at the last minute f it all... i will be there for the next one!

A few have heard me say "Hinze is not a lure dam" and during the presentation Angus kindly pointed out the fact that with the exception of banded grunter all the winning fish were caught on lures.

This has been driving me crazy:blush: :blink: Why is this so????

When fishing with live shrimp I found a school of fish that ranged betwwen 25-41 cms and managed to get at least 20 fish on board in about 30 mins. The only reason I couldn't get more is that I couldn't get the baited hook back in the water quick enough, then I ran out of shrimp.

Once I switched back to lures I couldn't get a touch for ages until I found the key (different story).

Why???? - I have figured out a couple of reasons.

1. I kept my bait brain on and left my lure brain off when I switched. Not very clever fishing on my behalf.

2. The schools with the bigger fish seam to be thinner or the big fish swim solo (loners). I was expecting the fast pace of the tight school when I know better then that.

Once the key was found (as Paul, Henry and Nigel proved) the fish were hoping on the lure far more often.

So - is Hinze a Lure Dam? Not in my opinion because what I want from Hinze is a relaxing fishing fix that gives heaps of fish. I am not a great trolling fan until it comes to big fish, if I want to hunt by trolling I would like a barra, cod or big salty to be the prize. Maybe I have been spoilt.

Is this unfare on Hinze - heck yes, Hinze is one of the most beautiful dams in Australia.

Anyone else got an opinion?

Hey guy's & gals, thanks for pointing out that we were running hot Brian, (note to self, don't anchor near Brian.) But a bit of persistence generally pay's off. And don't forget that if you make a change, as in tackle or style that you should commit to it for as long as your head can handle it. Great camp/weekend first of mine with AFO & a great crew makes for fun. Thanks fella's. GO THE LURES & PLASTICS:P :P :P B)

Hinze has never been a lure dam, its only the last couple of years people have started to get the odd one on a lure. I reckon its because there is not much structure or lilies, so they dont hunt much in the line of small fish, more used to shrimp.

Brian I've been to Clarrie Hall, Hinze is pretty average after that ;)

Brian I reckon its got a lot to do with food as well.

Take Baroon, small bass but man they smash lures. I think there staple diet is prob little spanglies giving them a more agressive nature.

The only bait fish I see in Hinze tends to be tiny little guppies.

Maybe smaller plastics would be a goer?

Angus

This time last year it wasn't too hard to coax them with lures. Early morning and late afternoons with surface/subsurface lures, then spinnerbaits during the daylight hours. Try fishing it like a river and fish the structure and tall grass banks instead of finding the schooling fish like in big impoundment such as Wivenhoe/Somerset.

The bass are also smaller so obviously smaller profile lures are the go, although they do like big spinnerbaits.

On commencement of fishing I was throwing small spinnerbaits and hooking small bass. I then tried shrimp, more small bass. After lunch the big spinnerbait went on and my theory was big lure = big fish. I cast the spinnerbait against the rocky structurs and bounced it down to the bottom and both big bass smashed the lure in 12m of water. Next day was a 60mm popper and it accounted for 2 small bass around 25cm and the dropped toga. As the sun came up I dropped an unweighted grub over the side and let it float to the bottom, and hooked 2 more small bass. Bait worked a treat but the fish were just legal.

I agree with Brian, sometimes its nice to drop the anchor, soak a bait and chill out til you hear ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZz.

[img size=500]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/25_cm_bass.jpg

my biggest bait caught bass on Saturday

post-1039-144598487209_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Archived