Bargara Jan 15-17

Do$tylz

Rightio... so now that Ive been able to find someone with the same camera as mine I’ve been able to take the photos off and can no do a report... so without further adieu..

6pm, Friday 15 Jan saw me, 5 drinks in and meeting my mates and g/f at my work loading bay ready for the long drive ahead of us. Bargara (just coast-side of Bundy) was our destination, trying to stay awake for the ride was my aim. I failed miserably. A quick nap, Pizza Hut at Gympie, driver change and 4 flat toads later, we were met with the sound of the ocean crashing on the rocks and a ready lit bonfire in the front yard of our mates house. WOOT!!. It was 11:30pm by now and the wind was up a bit but I was hoping it would die down by sunrise enough for me to hit my bream honey hole that I’d found last year. (last years report... http://www.australianfishing.com.au/forum/9-north-coast-reports/182773-bargara-15th-17th-april#182785)

Anyway... my alarm went off at 330am and straight away my mate wakes up and says “henry is that the alarm to go fishing??.....I’m not goingâ€. No surprises there for me... he’s definitely not a morning person. So off to the spot at Burnett Heads and pretty damn excited. I get there a little early so I have to wait in the car for 15minutes for the sun to come up enough for me to not break my ankles on the rocks.

Sunrise. P1161315_AFO.jpg

Anyway.... I make my way down to the rocks and cast along the way to my honey hole. Gear used... shimano raider bream finesse 7’2 , 1-3kg, stradic 2500 with 8lb fireline, 8lb black magic flouro leader, 1/24 nitro tt jighead and 3†gulp minnow in New Penny.

First cast in and the obligatory moses perch was landed :D.. a few more casts in... another moses. P1161317_AFO.jpg

I get to my honey hole after a bit of re-calibration to get my bearings and the anticipation is high :D I do a time check... 5:20am. A few tentative casts in wide to cover some space and not a touch. I few casts in front and a couple of touches but no hook ups... I ping a cast that’s on the money as far as possible. A 1 second drop, flick flick, crank...drop...and then weight..I give it a good strike... FISH ON :D :D :D. This thing was heavy and strong. Some awesome powerful runs made me think I hadn’t tightened the drag enough but sure enough with my arm up in the air keeping the rod high above the rocks I found that it was on. My wrist and forearm was getting killed trying to reign in the runs. A few hairy moments as the big unknown pulled to the left and went over the top of an exposed rock with a wave followed by a big splash.

The sun was still a little hidden behind clouds so I didn’t get a look...I good final sizzling run for freedom had my very worried for what I was calling for a monster bream. Man this thing knew how to use the waves to its advantage. One final wave on the rocks and I had the fish up in the shallow pool splashing about. I swear the entire Burnett Heads region heard me. I had just caught a new PB jack. If anyone was watching it would have been hilarious, I was dancing on the spot, fist pumping, legs shaking. I may have even attempted to do the running man dance move. Lip grips in its mouth it did a flick and my plastic and hook fell out of its mouth. Jeez that was lucky.

Anyway... pics are a bit dodge as I didn’t have a proper rock to put my camera onto. But man... I was pumped. P1161319_AFO.jpg

The rest of the morning was still awesome. 2 bust offs which then had me upgrade my leader to 20lb leader, endless moses perch and not 1 bream. Then.. final spot before goin back to the car to drive home...bzzzz....I was on again to a sweet fish. Not as strong as the jack... but still strong. A short fight and up came a 45cm grassy/spangly (dunno which one). Both of these fish were kept for a feed for dinner. Got home at 730am, showed off the goods, had a shower and then a nap. P1161328_AFO.jpg

its an olympus MU... one of the 10m ones. MAte they can definately do water and hold out in the tough stuff. I think mine has just had a very rough life over the last 2 years. And chances are I didn't close the battery lid well enough and persisted with using it under water to depths of 5m.

Wicked fish off the stones there mate. Pretty sure that's a spangly in the photo. Good feed to boot. I know the feeling with acting like a clown after a good catch - you should have seen me with my first decent golden trev off the rocks!!! The world knew about that one! Good on the mates mrs for having a go too.

yep.. weekend was frikking awesome. I'm still trying to catch up on sleep.

Cheers all.

Yeah Ben.. got Billi to have a few casts and we were getting heaps of hits and a couple of big hits but no hook ups...It was good to see her get excited about fishing for once :D

cheers again :D

rocket - nah.. its getting grown out mate. Can't stand having to put sunscreen on my noggin.

waldo - yeah it was someone here that I read it from (maybe ellicat or feral) about having to change seals. I hadn't read that in my manual but maybe I just didn't read that section.

yoyo - yeah mate. went 49 fork, 50 tip :)

Rummy - man those nana naps just kept me going through the days. Love my sleep.

adam - nah it was a little roughed up from the rocks it swam over and splashed around on when I pulled it in.

Tom - man I've been meaning to make that extra drive up there to fish... but the best about burnett heads and exactly where I fish is that for the 4-5 times I've fished it, I've never seen another soul fishing it. Infact I get the locals looking at me funny.

Eug - yeah dude... was VERY surprised to get it in on 8lb line and leader. Who says you need 20lb etc to get jacks??

Feral - messaging as I type :D

novrain - nah no jetties mate. Shoulder launches in the surf :D

Archived