wivenhoe and brisbane river filling up

T Fisher

[attachment]C:\fakepath\River Height Bulletin Brisbane, Bremer.mht[/attachment]
/>http://www.bom.gov.au/cgi-bin/wrap_fwo.pl?IDQ60286.html

check out the heights of the dams and the mid brisbane river doesn't look good :ohmy:

how much more can wivenhoe hold back

hope it stops raining soon need to get back to work

They believe another 2 days of solid rain is on the way

Something tells me the Bass will be spread out and will populate all the creeks going off the Brisbane River so should make fishing good....if the water ever recedes:laugh:

Can't remember the last time it has rained so much over such a long period of time

My understanding is Wivenhoe`s level to go over the top of gates is 74-75 metres,at about 1am this morning it was at 71 metres and was rising at present inflow rate of 24cm/hr , at this rate of flow this arvo may be interesting,with the bulk of last nights catchment falls still to start having a bigger affect.

My numbers may be off,but I`m sure someone with more knowledge will pick up on this thread.

yes my understanding ( not real good these days on figures,volume calculations,equations etc) is the flood mitigation holding capacity is almost double total normal full holding,the problems at present for SEQwater is juggling the inflows with outflows,bearing in mind that Somerset at this rate of catchment run in,may have to fully open up discharge rates.

One could start talking about Wivenhoes dam wall integrity etc,but thats another story full of ifs and buts,but decisions will have to be looked at,of fully opening the gates, if this rain event keeps producing such heavy falls in the catchments,and if the Bremer catchment starts to recieve the falls of Wivenhoe and Somerset catchments theres going to be a lot of water wanting to go somewhere.

Just an opinion..don`t panic

Normal Capacity: 1 165 000 ML

Floody Capacity (Extra): 1 450 000 ML

The 'fun' bit though, is that according a courier mail article from October 2010, in the state legislation, water held for flood capacity has to be released within 7 days to ensure there is capacity left in the dam for floods. Daily releases are usually timed with the tides to ensure it flushes out with the outgoing tide when it hits brisbane.

As I mentioned in a previous thread, as I am involved with a lease of land on Wivenhoe I get a daily email during events like this and here is todays.

Basically its all closed till further notice :-(

Good Morning,

Situation report 0700 Monday January 10, 2011.

Major inflows have continued over the last 24 hours.

Both Wivenhoe and Somerset are closed to all recreational activities, and will remain so for some days.

Somerset is expected to reach 4.5 M above FSL, and Wivenhoe 6.3M above FSL.

The following recreation sites are closed –

· O’Sheas Crossing

· Hamon Cove

· Logan Inlet

· Captain Logan Camp

· Lumley Hill

· Spillway Common/ Atkinson’s Crossing

· Cormorant Bay

· Branch Creek

· Billies Bay/Hays Landing

· The Spit

· Lake Somerset Holiday Park Kirkleagh

Numerous roads are cut including the highway at Kilcoy and Fernvale, and conditions are extremely dangerous.

Regards

Normal Capacity: 1 165 000 ML

Floody Capacity (Extra): 1 450 000 ML

The 'fun' bit though, is that according a courier mail article from October 2010, in the state legislation, water held for flood capacity has to be released within 7 days to ensure there is capacity left in the dam for floods. Daily releases are usually timed with the tides to ensure it flushes out with the outgoing tide when it hits brisbane.

yes,so far that has worked ok,like last week when the flow from the Lockyer,Laidley creeks, Bremer River catchment areas minor flood waters run off coincided with the lower part of the Brisbane River tide and the releases were also partly worked in with that event.

Obviously the Bremer /Brisbane Junction is lower down the river than the dams,so too much further prolonged heavy rain periods in all catchment areas may not give SEQwater the options with releases,to keep flooding down river to absolute minimal levels, and keep mitigation flood storage heights at levels to comfortably accept further anticipated inflows.

One must also remember that Wivenhoe not only gets its inflows from its own catchment area,but also the overflow from Somersets.

So if this rain event doesn`t increase or stretch out too much longer they have done very well in minimalising the effects of their releases to date.

I`m sure the people needing to use Colledges crossing regularly would opiniate diferently :lol:

Water Release Update (Monday 10 January, 7.00am)

Wivenhoe Dam

Upstream levels are rising quickly as a result of significant heavy rainfall. The objective for dam operations will be to minimise the impact of urban flooding in areas downstream of the dam.......

.......Local Councils have been advised that as a result of Lockyer Creek flows, local runoff and Wivenhoe releases, Twin Bridges, Savages Crossing, Burtons Bridge, Kholo Bridge Colleges Crossing, Fernvale Bridge, and Mt Crosby Weir Bridge may be inundated for several days...........

There is currently NO ACCESS to Wivenhoe Dam, including the Spillway Common (Spillway viewing area). The entire site is closed.

Somerset Dam

As a result of rainfall and inflows, water is being released into Wivenhoe through five sluice gates at about 95,000 megalitres per day and is likely to continue until Thursday 13 January. Areas around Kilcoy are likely to be impacted as a result of the rising dam levels.

9 news just told me that there is an equivilent of 2 sydney harbours flowing into wivenhoe every day, its at 140% which is as high as its allowed to go.

BOM site says that the brisbane height gauge (bottom of edward st) is expecting to go to 3m by wednesday high tide. (1.5m higher than the highest tide of the year.)

Had a bit of a wander around the river bank at Southbank and West End today. Water was level with the boardwalk in front of the museum and over the pathway in places at Orleigh Park. A few cars parked in those small parking areas beside the river were getting their tyres wet. Could be very interesting by Wednesday.

wow... man this is insane

I swear I will not complain about droughts again... at least people weren't dying from flash droughting...

Anyone care to take pics and load up as they see them? I'm either in the City during the work hours or high up on a hill at home so don't get to see the effects... I just get to read about them.

A couple of pictures and videos from toowomba.Not mine, just stuff ive found.

/>http://www.boostcruising.com/forums/index.php?act=attach&type=post&id=1334639

/>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vt-FT-skins&feature=player_embedded

/>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V_8DcQ3MRuQ&feature=player_embedded

Might be an opportunity to catch my first threadfin of 2011 washed up on land....

Terrible the way things are panning out in the south east. Heart goes out to people that have lost friends and reletives in the disaster.

Personally we are lucky in Hervey Bay that we arent directly affected by such torrents. Our isue will be food, essentials are out of stock in all the shops and may not get replenished until after Thursday depending on what access is available from Brisbane.

Good luck to those in low lying areas over the next 24-48 hrs in addition to the extra rain falling in the lockyer districts at the moment. If you are evacuating make sure you have all your personal paperwork bundled in a bag including all your ID (birth cert.), insurance policies, super, bank details, tax etc You wil need these to get assistance if you need it.

Hopefully things dont get as bad as predicted but at least you have prior warning.

Take care Jay.

Seq water are not telling the complete truth on their website.

1,165,238 2,049,705 100.0

1'165'238 megalitres is full supply level.

2,049,705 megalitres is current level.

100.0 is supposed to indicate dam is 100 % full i make it around 188%.

I have just been down Manson St Morningside and all premises have been ordered to send staff home.

Dropped into the Colmslie ramp and water police were checking on all the yachts moored there. There is an impressive pile of logs beside the ramp that have been collected from the river.

Couple of hardy souls jetsking in the river. The waterpolice pulled one over and the other did a bunk.

Cheers

Ray

In addition try to take a mental note of businesses price gouging. I have heard unconfirmed reports of a Bunnings (only hear-say) selling sandbags for something like $20, localy the BP is selling fuel at 4 cents a litre dearer than the local shell (people are lining up for fuel). After the shit settles, those doing the wrong thing should be reported in my view.

i cant believe the amount of water that is around ... i live on the south side of brisbane in logan area and im watching the tv and seeing it is well there are no words i can say ... My daughter is in toowoomba and thank god she and my grandkids are safe .. so i put this here if any1 is in trouble and needs to evacuate in a area that is flooded i open my house to you ... its time like this that we need to help ppl where we can .. my thoughts and heart goes to ppl that have lost everything ,, wherever you are plz stay safe

Thats very kind of you to offer your home...consider starting a new thread titled 'Safe house offer' or something similiar that forum members can refer to if they need somewhere to go, just your name, location, how many you can accomodate, then get people to send pms for phone numbers and address details, dont put personal details on the open thread.

As always, take care

Archived