Catching Mullet

pepe66

I am wondering what I am doing wrong to catch mullet

I have found a spot where the mullet are visible in the water but I have tried several things to catch them to no avail. These mullet are in the 50+ cm range and I would love to bring a couple in. I have used a float with small hooks on 60cm light trace, as well as running sinker set-ups. I have also tried several different baits bread, prawns and worms. I have also thrown lots of bread in the water to try and promote a feeding buzz.

I have tried a cast net and the sound of my footsteps is spooking them. They are also not touching the bread that I throw out.

Could the colder weather have something to do with this. When I turn up at this spot I can see them basking in the shallow water.

Pepe sounds like a spot I go to get mullet!!

Hundreds of the little buggers but the minute ya show up bang there gone..

A few things that have worked for me when the bread isnt doin the trick is to act like \"a shag on a rock\" !! Move into position down from the school as not to cast any shadow on the water and also camo coloured clothing helps. Set ya net up in hand, crouch down stay still and wait. After a while the school becomes use to your presents and will happily swim a bit closer. They will start by coming closer and closer as they circle round and if you can be bothered with the staying still bit they will almost school around ya feet if ya dont spook them..........

What are bull mullet.

This area where the mullet are is an impoundment and nothing gets in or out. they look much more streamlined than sea mullet. I have used some different lures and plastices but with no luck. I have caught eels and some other smaller fish there. There are also no toad fish which is good.

bull mullet are a large species of mullet that live in fresh water and only travel to salt to breed. we usedc to fish for them with stringy green weed under a float up the back of tallebudgera creek as young fellas,taste like shiza but fun to catch

• 3 weeks later...

Archived