Pin Flathead Mission - 5th August 2007

Angus

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply

OK The overnighter has been canceled:( for next weekend:)

So by orders from my wife we have to go away this weekend :ohmy: No kids ect. I say yes as long as we go to the flathead hunt;)

I've just got home to find that she wants to stay at Jacob's well tourist park for the weekend.:woohoo: :woohoo:

Funny thing is she did'nt know that thats where the hunt is:P

So with a humble \"Ok hun If you're happy with the place I can live with it\"

I'll be booking it at 7:30.

So it's on, I'll be there with bells on...

Look out Lizards here I come.:evil:

Gotta love them ladies :kiss: :kiss:

:woohoo: just hit senior angler with this post

Post edited by: chubbstar, at: 2007/08/02 07:29

:woohoo: mmmmm Cabin by the water. Wounder if the wife will mind me holding a rod while we watch dvds, eat tea and other things that people do while on holiday;)

Expert angler I here you say brian?

Mate after I catch a 6kg Flatty Sunday you can call me MASTER:whistle:

:blink: Time for bed have a good day while I dream of sp's and big lizards.

The curse of night shift:side:

Hey guys, if we cant get a BBQ going, i still really like the idea of a feed at the pin itself.

Why dont we all pitch in a grab like some ham, and cold chooks etc and just a picnic style lunch? Not as awesome are a BBQ granted. But if it means we eat on some random beach with just a big AFO crew, i reckon that would still be pretty sweeeet.

Thoughts?

Angus

i wont make it due to work cimmitments but i will tell you a spot that we clean up on the flatties with sp's, in the beacon to beacon page 87 between tabby tabby island and eden island, it is called the cricket pitch, in the square graph, the first full square, left of where it says eden island you will see to green and two red beacons just as you head east from cabbage tree, drift that channell with GOLD COLOUR plastics casting north towards tabby tabby island into the shallows you will get them for sure, if you are drifting in the clearly visible channel and hitting weed with the lure you are right there, also the channel south of that with no beacons, depending on the wind and which way you drift, good luck

We used to do ok in the same area. There's a deep jew hole near the southern end of Tabby tabby and the smaller island west of eden, 44 feet on the sounder.

Got some good school jew bouncing prawns on the bottom of that hole regulary, and one night got a heap of what looked like just born hammerheads (50cm) followed by a smoking reel spooling run.I'm sure it was a pissed off Mum

The shallow banks around that hole are good flatty spots, my wife who holds the record pin flathead ( 9 1/4 pounds) got it right beside the first red beacon at the jew hole.

This was years ago and I'm not even sure if that hole stills exists.

cheers

That hole is still there, i was there only last thursday but there was a houseboat anchored over it, that 40ft hole drops straight down too off an exposed bank at low tide, have to watch the sounder when cruising through there, we threw some plastics from the hole towards the bank and got hit prob every third cast, awesome spot i bet if some of you guys have a go there it will work

mojo wrote:

We used to do ok in the same area. There's a deep jew hole near the southern end of Tabby tabby and the smaller island west of eden, 44 feet on the sounder.

Got some good school jew bouncing prawns on the bottom of that hole regulary, and one night got a heap of what looked like just born hammerheads (50cm) followed by a smoking reel spooling run.I'm sure it was a pissed off Mum

The shallow banks around that hole are good flatty spots, my wife who holds the record pin flathead ( 9 1/4 pounds) got it right beside the first red beacon at the jew hole.

This was years ago and I'm not even sure if that hole stills exists.

cheers

Not having a go at you mojo.:)

What record is that ?

Some years ago I was fishing with my dad when he caught one at 5.010kg (just over 11lb) and got his name and pic on the wall at the bait shop. Not a week had passed before someone knocked him off his spot:(

As I said, I'm not having a dig and don't want to offend. Is it the record for this year or for a woman or an accredited record or dadada.... ?

Yeah I know its nothing to brag about ellicat, especially when your wife holds the family flathead (and bream) record and likes to remind us all at every opportunity :whistle:

my biggest is 8 1/2 , caught many around that size but never the magic 9 1/2 or 10.

I was once pulling in a legal size bream at my favourite spot when this big brown croc with a head about ten inches wide latched onto it, must have felt my knees trembling through the hull as it laughed at me then swam away, I reckon it was every bit of 14-15 pound.

Anyway mate sunday is the day I finally get my revenge on my darling wife..lol

Guys so do we want a BBQ?

Or do we want to meet up on little island somewhere for cold chicken and bread roles?

If the latter is the chosen option, can someone nominate an island that is easy for everyone (with plenty of spots to park a boat :) )

Cheers

Angus

if you are going to fish the pin than without a doubt the best place to lunch would be on south straddie, or crusoe, but being a weekend crusoe usually has a few campers stretched along it, so south straddie any where, heaps of room and some sections not far from the pin have good deep water right up to the island, also if the winds are se than straddies the best option

I agree with Angus and Chippie - Chicken Rolls and Drinks inside the tip of South Straddie say 12.00 noon.

Why I say 12noon is now we don't have to backtrack to the ramps we got more fishing time at the areas around the pin.

We can also have a couple of chucks from the bank and a bit of a chin wage.

Also good spot to put up a AFO banner for the world to see.

All we need is some good looking models, anyone know any?

Ellicat I don't think it will matter what you eat just don't get your Soft plastics mixed up with your bread. :P

Well Chippee I see you have been doing your research.;)

I will have spare fuel onboard if required but Kriso I must say I am a fan of the duel tanks. That way you go as far as you can on one tank and back again on the other. :)

BUT make sure you allow for wind and tide or you might find yourself a little short of the ramp and it is allways with teh tide running the wrong way.:blush:

yeah gonna look out for a a spare to sit in the boat with one of those quick connect fuel lines ( as not real cluey about boats i dont know if thats standard these days) probably between 20-30ltrs. if any one has one they want rid of leave a post in my fuel tank thread in wanted section thanks!

Cheers Feral - I stand corrected.

I use the duel tank system. 1 tank out, 1 tank back and a spare 3rd tank of 10 or 20 litres, depending where I'm going.

But very good point. It is dangerious having a reserve tank smaller then your main tank. It won't get you home.

So is it now a self cater lunch somewhere with a bit of a chinwag and half time measurements and bragging.

I would say the best spot to meet I have marked on a map in red and will attach it. Plenty of boat room, nice beach, kids can have a swim, can cast a line, and no mud (like Crusoe)

Ohh and I will be fishing where I have marked the map with a green tick :P [img size=500]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/NuggetsMap_AFO.jpg

Post edited by: bootyinblue, at: 2007/08/02 16:59

post-1481-144598422831_thumb.jpg

fair dinkum brian and feral, you blokes would be nervous wrecks in my boat if we ever head out, you gotta hang your balls out and risk a bit, that is why we are members of the vmr, we are all members arnt we????????????????????????????????Feral wrote:

Brian D wrote:
I must say I am a fan of the duel tanks. That way you go as far as you can on one tank and back again on the other. :)

Now Now Brian - you know the general safety obligation, 1/3 out 1/3 back, 1/3 reserve!

Actually Chippee I am a fan of not having the Judge hit me with a $3000 fine when he decides something that went wrong is my fault because I did not follow the safety rules.

Or even worse be trying to tell the coroner the story why I believed I was so special that it was not necessary for me to follow the safety rules.

personally i carry 3 tanks with me most times and allways come home with heaps of fuel. etc one time i remeber pushing my boat from neer the air port back to shulz canal it took about 3 hours nex time i wont chase just one more tuna for the forteenth time:blush:

chippee wrote:

fair dinkum brian and feral, you blokes would be nervous wrecks in my boat if we ever head out, you gotta hang your balls out and risk a bit, that is why we are members of the vmr

Would be interested to see how far you hang 'your balls out' when you have your son in your boat with you?

And VMR is really there to assist people who are in genuine need from an unforseen circumstance, and not to assist someone who has 'snapped their balls off'.

ANGUS - Do you really think I would be putting ticks on the map?

Cheers,

Post edited by: bootyinblue, at: 2007/08/02 21:47

bootyinblue wrote:

chippee wrote:
fair dinkum brian and feral, you blokes would be nervous wrecks in my boat if we ever head out, you gotta hang your balls out and risk a bit, that is why we are members of the vmr

Would be interested to see how far you hang 'your balls out' when you have your son in your boat with you?

And VMR is really there to assist people who are in genuine need from an unforseen circumstance, and not to assist someone who has 'snapped their balls off'

Cheers,

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

HAHAHAHA Thanks for a great laugh mate.

I needed that.

I totaly agree with you there. I would have said the same thing only in different words. You seemed to say it in the `Dave Hughs` manner :laugh:

Archived