What brand braid is the best value?

Miller 197

Hi all,

Ive been looking around at different braid brands and have been trying to settle on a brand. Ive never owned braid before but am all for getting on the wagon for its advantages.

Im in the market for 50lb braid and have been looking into platypus and fins. Something that will be a good value for money and a solid line but not blow the bank. :P

What have people found to be good brands....or not so good brands so i know to steer clear of them

Thanks! :cheer:

Super PE: only used it on one reel and had endless wind knots.

Powerpro: use it on all my 20-40lbs reels. Great stuff. Can get it in bulk for cheap.

Fins: used to use it, was alright too

Daiwa Tournament PE (orange stuff) not sure if its still around, but used this on 4-15lbs, great stuff as well.

Berkley Fireline: feels cheap and nasty

Like Terry said.

Sunline super pe is rubbish. I used it few reels and got rid of it. Too much wind knots.

Use power pro if you want to go cheaper option. Nothing wrong with it.

Daiwa acc debt is rubish too.i used to have it on my stella got rid of it. Its good for few months and starts fraying.

Spend extra money and get good braid.

Saltiga casting braid is good or even the big rolls of saltiga boat braid.

Sunline super PE is my pick. Ive used the cheaper and more expensive end of the scale and for value for money, nothing beats it in my opinion.

I agree Super PE is my go to these days. It does depend on your use. Spin reels are different to overheads. Although I do have super pe on a couple of overheads it is not required. I have power pro on the 50lb tyrnos and it is great. I have other favoriyes but they are almost three times the price so they are not a brand to start with.

The reason i use super pe is that it has a much smaller diameter than the other cheap braids. This has an impact on how easy it is to cast. I used fins on my barra rigs a few years ago but found it was rough through the quides, thick and did not last as it bleached and frays quickly.

Braid is something you will love if you are casting it and the feel on the line will get you addicted to it.

Not sure if it comes under the cheap category but I like Bionic. It feels real nice when casting, easy to tie and I don't get any wind knots. I had 10lb Sunline PE on my stradic and it felt nice but the wind knots were a little annoying and it seemed to get worn very quickly after 3 months of fishing every couple of days I had to strip about 50m off because of what I would consider sun damage. So I replaced it with Bionic and have been happy since.

Best value braid for me by far is Unitika PE Saltwater Silver Thread. Very thin, lasts, good strength and abrasion resistance. Really cheap from Plat Japan.

I've used Daiwa 8 tournament, Sunline Castaway, Sunline Egi Braid, Varivas Casting PE, Line System, Frog Braid, Fireline, Nanofil and Suffix. I still rate the Unitika at the top for value (when it's on special).

For quality and value you can't beat Tasline White, very strong and thin diametre line, easily as good if not better than the big high end names and a fraction of the cost and you can get it in pretty much any spool length you need.

The same guy does Woodstock Braid also, I haven't used it but have heard good things about it also and it is a bit cheaper again.

Available by email order only from Paulus Just Fishing. Heaps of good info on the site regarding breaking strains of all the different brands of braid.

Not affiliated with the company in any way, just a good value for money quality product that is worth a plug.

Cheers,

Al

When fishing with mono the simple blood knot with about 6 twists was the weapon of choice for tying knots and never failed me. What knots work best on braided lines ?

When fishing with braided lines you'll most likely be joining your mainline (braid) onto a leader - in which case you will use a connecting knot such as a double uni, albright etc etc so no need for the blood knot unless you want to fish straight braid.

My vote is for Sunline Castaway - not cheap but not too expensive either but its a great line.

My vote is for Sunline Castaway - not cheap but not too expensive either but its a great line.

We used to joke that you can really Cast away your lures!

Castaway is an IGFA rated line, and as such care should be taken when fishing with it compared to other lines. Many other lines can be 150% (i'm guessing here, you can easily find the true stats, but they are quite often much, much higher than rated) of the rated breaking strain, and so gives you added abrasion resistance.

With Castaway being an IGFA rated line it will break at no more than the rated capacity, and as such if you're fishing in rough terrain can break a little easier.

Lee used some castaway at north pine dam once back before the floods whne there was a lot of walk-the-banks fishing going on. He either got an incredibly rat-poo batch of line, or the constant running through the grass frequently weakened the line resulting in a lot of lost lures for one pcsolutionman.

On the other hand, Al (Biggles) used to use castaway all the time without much worries. Then again, I don't think he ever had any drag on his line... :whistle:

I guess there are two differing experiences I've seen with the same product!

• 3 weeks later...

I ended up getting myself 2 spools of super pe :)

I was down at bcf yesterday getting myself sorted for an upcoming trip and i was also in the market for some flurocarbon leader. I had a chat to the guy at the shop and he recomended either fireline, black magic or jinkai. he said the japanese stuff was the bomb but it only came in 10m spools which will last about 5 minutes :P ..has anyone delt with any of these brands?

I was origionally trying to find instinct leader but they dont stock it

what have you guys found to be good quality leader? im after leader thats 50lb +

Archived