Tinnie Advice For Green And Mud Etc...???

Leosonfire

Yep, agree with the others, a little bigger will be safer and mean you don't have to wait quite as long for the required weather between trips. It can get very messy at the river mouth and on the way to/from Mud and the same for the channel in between Green & King Islands.

Out of interest, how many will normally be fishing out of it? I would be going minimum 4.2m and 30hp (I used to run to Mud & Green with one, it was a 1992 model that I sold for about $1400 a couple of years ago with a refurbished trailer ....) however around 4.5m would be even better.

Thanks legends! Advice taken on board. 

reason for a cheap tinnie is.....after my trip with Brian yesterday to curtain I showed my wife the photos of Moreton Island and said how good would it be Able to take the family Over there on day trips and she said I can buy a boat for that in 3-4years when they are older (my twin boys are 3) so I said in the meantime I need a tinnie and she said if I give up one bad habit I can get one hence the need for something cheap. 

I can probably spend around 3k without being hassled by her but worried about what condition motor I get with that on a 4+Meter

oh third world problems 😅

Some good advice above. Before i write i want to say, safety first Always. No one wants to hear of another boat going over out there. 

I dont know what boating experince you have if none/ not much i would say the boats a bit small. If your experinced i would say maybe. Anyway in the winter on nice day the boat would be fine IMO this is becuase the weather generally stays the same all day. In summer the day starts out beautiful with no wind at all, but in a few hours time the northerlys of anywhere from 15-30knots kick up. Trust us, Mud is not the place you want to be in a 3.7m tinny in 25-30 northerly. If you are unlucky enough to be out there in a strong outgoing tide, waves would be 2-2.5m and really steep. Green, St Helena and Mud have a truckload of tide which makes the waves really stand on you (you probably already know this stuff). 

If the weather looks good and you just go for a quick look to Green you would Probably be right providing your back before 10-11am. 

Plently of Guys have come unstuck over the years in that region when the weather kicks up so no matter what boat your in, remember to stay safe.

13 hours ago, Leosonfire said:

Thanks everyone sound advice. I think I’ll scrap the idea of anything under 4 or maybe just wait another few years and get something bigger to suit the family. 

For now I’ll stick to my yak and Offer my deckie services, Brian will agree I am handy when it comes to pulling up an anchor on numerous occasions to get on your mark in 20m 😝

You know your finances better than us mate but if you're keen for a boat I'd keep an eye out in case something suitable pops up. The boat in this post (does it come with the electric? If so pretty good deal) would still give you some fun in rivers, creeks, Wellington Point Jacobs Well/Jumpinpin and Green Island on a decent day.

I just had a quick look and something like this is slightly bigger and depending how keen the seller is to get rid of it, may come down somewhere near your $3k budget.

https://www.boatsales.com.au/boats/details/2000-quintrex-395-dart/SSE-AD-6369492/?Cr=9

11 hours ago, kmcrosby78 said:

You know your finances better than us mate but if you're keen for a boat I'd keep an eye out in case something suitable pops up. The boat in this post (does it come with the electric? If so pretty good deal) would still give you some fun in rivers, creeks, Wellington Point Jacobs Well/Jumpinpin and Green Island on a decent day.

I just had a quick look and something like this is slightly bigger and depending how keen the seller is to get rid of it, may come down somewhere near your $3k budget.

https://www.boatsales.com.au/boats/details/2000-quintrex-395-dart/SSE-AD-6369492/?Cr=9

Thanks mate. I will keep an eye out  because I’m obsessed 😂 

3 hours ago, Do$tylz said:

ok - so I'll buck the trend a little bit here, but with some caveats.

You can do it, but you'll need to be cautious and safe. Mud and Peel is possible in your 3.75 with a 20 if the weather stays good (less than 7-8knots. Under 5 is better). Like others have said, those days aren't overly common but they do happen and you'll need to pick them. Don't get caught up in the hype of trying a harsh day because you haven't been out in a while. Keep an eye on the forecast and understand what the weather does to the bay. Example - a constant southerley over days will make the bay rougher than you would think.

I would consider stringent safety steps for every trip to the islands - lifejackets on while underway, a working bilge + buckets, a phone that is charged in a water proof box.

Ultimately though - you can catch pretty much all of the same fish from closer to mainland. So going off from wello/cleveland and staying close, or launching from fishermans island and staying around the front wall or into the river (although running past the port in a tinny that size can be scary and dangerous).

Based on your situation - I'd say get the tinny - but change the locations to fish that you had in mind. Northern bay - stay close to land. Southern bay - go around the islands. Hit the Pin or the broadwater. And go harass the bass like Dino and Ray. Those gents a living the life 😄

Thanks mate

14 minutes ago, Leosonfire said:

I guess Wello, port, north reef is where I fish mainly and on those mint days just want the option of hitting green etc. 

thanks for all your advice 👍

Yeah get the smaller tinny then. It'll do the job. Especially if this is your first boat.

Great to learn on a smaller tinny that you can make small mistakes on (running aground, loading and unloading etc).

2 hours ago, Leosonfire said:

First tinnie had a 4.9 runabout few years back on the Goldie. 

I have done Mud, green, straddie and even Moreton in my last boat, 3.7 Stacer with a 15 hp yammy. 

I would only do this on the best days and always tried to be home by 10am to miss the shore breeze. 

A 3.7 is good for most days at Wello. Mud often gets more exposed especially in a northerly. 

So while you can probably do all that you say you want to in a 3.7... a bigger boat is nicer.

I now have a 5m and love it. Admittedly it cost me an arm and a leg and a... but I love it. The down side is it is a bit harder to put on the trailer but not much really. I won't look back and I won't get a 3.7 for Moreton Bay again. 

17 hours ago, Leosonfire said:

First tinnie had a 4.9 runabout few years back on the Goldie. 

oh sweet as then. You have prior boating experience. I'd say that gives you more reason to be able to take the 3.7 to fit your current situation and needs.

From the original ad you posted, it looks like a great buy for the price and you won't lose much (if any) money on it when it's time to resell. Especially if the leccy is part of the deal.

My first boat was a 3.7 tinny with a 15 on the back. Great for southern bay (The Pin especially) and as @Do$tylz says, just stay close to land. I launched from  Manly and  either fished out the front of Lota Creek or snuck up to the boat passage.  Heaps of options if you're smart about it.

I did go to Mud once, cracked every weld on the way back when the arvo SE kicked in 🙂