Etiquette Around Torches/spotlights At Night When Underway

Ryannnnnnnn

Hey guys,

I have read a few times that people can get upset about shining lights in their direction at night time (even briefly) when they're having a fish. The comments I've seen have been mainly aimed at people fishing from the shore, but am wondering if this issue also applies to when out on the water in boats.

The reason I ask, is I always have a torch pointing forward in the direction to where I'm going for 3 reasons

1. To spot bouys from crab pots that seem to be placed (or have drifted) in the main channels.

2. To spot channel markers that are not lit up.

3. On a few occasions I've spotted boats sitting in popular fishing spots without any lights on at all, sitting in pitch darkness

The 3rd point is my main concern and the last occasion I had comes to mind where it was a new moon so very dark and I was sounding around the artificial reef off Peel island and occasionally using my torch to check what's ahead. Luckily I did this as I came about 10 meters away from a boat that had no lights on. I'm imagining they turned all their lights off to be discreet, but for this reason I'm going to be shining my light around so I don't hit anyone.

On a similar note, would it be rude to install a light bar to use when underway in the main channels and turn it off when travelling towards someone?

36 minutes ago, Ryannnnnnnn said:

Hey guys,

I have read a few times that people can get upset about shining lights in their direction at night time (even briefly) when they're having a fish. The comments I've seen have been mainly aimed at people fishing from the shore, but am wondering if this issue also applies to when out on the water in boats.

The reason I ask, is I always have a torch pointing forward in the direction to where I'm going for 3 reasons

1. To spot bouys from crab pots that seem to be placed (or have drifted) in the main channels.

2. To spot channel markers that are not lit up.

3. On a few occasions I've spotted boats sitting in popular fishing spots without any lights on at all, sitting in pitch darkness

The 3rd point is my main concern and the last occasion I had comes to mind where it was a new moon so very dark and I was sounding around the artificial reef off Peel island and occasionally using my torch to check what's ahead. Luckily I did this as I came about 10 meters away from a boat that had no lights on. I'm imagining they turned all their lights off to be discreet, but for this reason I'm going to be shining my light around so I don't hit anyone.

On a similar note, would it be rude to install a light bar to use when underway in the main channels and turn it off when travelling towards someone?

When you are out on the water at night your eyes adjust to the darkness and I find it super nasty getting a torch shined at me. 

In saying that it can be dangerous on a new moon so I understand that people want to see but if you get blinded by someone elses strong light that is dangerous too. 

It is silly and dangerous when people don't have lights on. 

I won't be getting a light bar for my boat, I understand if others do but I really hate getting blinded by lights at night. 

this is one of my main bug bears with nighttime boating...  great that your night vision might be better with no lights but another boat to the side of the face because they couldn't see you will likely ruin your day.

as far as i'm concerned, if a vessel is anchored and displaying an all round white light, i do my best to not blind them - they are following the rules, I know where they are, i will be as considerate as possible.  If they are anchored and have no lights on and you accidentally hit them with a light - really who is at fault there?  i mean... at least the first time you hit them it would be an accident.  then next 7 or 8 times and just to hammer home a point i guess. 

I never installed a permanent front facing bright light on my boat as often it is easier to use a hand held especially when spotting unlit markers or tracking along a bank, much more directional control.  i know a lot of guys who do a lot of offshore work at night have lightbars or spotties mounted to help see the ocean around them and avoid any hazards (whales etc) when moving around at night.

On a different note - i love those people who anchor up and leave their nav lights on... makes you think when you are approaching them they are moving which can be very disorienting.  

First hand experience with light bars is that they don't work in open waters. It's not like driving down a dark road at night in a 4bee. 

A mate had a 23ft reef boss from the states. Similar to a Grady white looking center cab.

He fitted a big light bar up on the hard top. It looked bloody awesome and on the trailer in the back yard it worked a treat, literally turned night into day. 

We got out off Cleveland one night heading for Moreton and turned it on. Absolutely useless. 

The water doesn't reflect like most solid objects so we couldn't see the chop or anything untill we were on top of it. It basically just lit up the haze and looked like you were driving into fog and the water was still black.

So if you're looking at this avenue I recommend not doing it. Again, it's up to you but we never used the light again unless it was In a creek to see the edges. 

5 hours ago, Junky said:

First hand experience with light bars is that they don't work in open waters. It's not like driving down a dark road at night in a 4bee. 

A mate had a 23ft reef boss from the states. Similar to a Grady white looking center cab.

He fitted a big light bar up on the hard top. It looked bloody awesome and on the trailer in the back yard it worked a treat, literally turned night into day. 

We got out off Cleveland one night heading for Moreton and turned it on. Absolutely useless. 

The water doesn't reflect like most solid objects so we couldn't see the chop or anything untill we were on top of it. It basically just lit up the haze and looked like you were driving into fog and the water was still black.

So if you're looking at this avenue I recommend not doing it. Again, it's up to you but we never used the light again unless it was In a creek to see the edges. 

pro tip

9 hours ago, benno573 said:

this is one of my main bug bears with nighttime boating...  great that your night vision might be better with no lights but another boat to the side of the face because they couldn't see you will likely ruin your day.

as far as i'm concerned, if a vessel is anchored and displaying an all round white light, i do my best to not blind them - they are following the rules, I know where they are, i will be as considerate as possible.  If they are anchored and have no lights on and you accidentally hit them with a light - really who is at fault there?  i mean... at least the first time you hit them it would be an accident.  then next 7 or 8 times and just to hammer home a point i guess. 

I never installed a permanent front facing bright light on my boat as often it is easier to use a hand held especially when spotting unlit markers or tracking along a bank, much more directional control.  i know a lot of guys who do a lot of offshore work at night have lightbars or spotties mounted to help see the ocean around them and avoid any hazards (whales etc) when moving around at night.

On a different note - i love those people who anchor up and leave their nav lights on... makes you think when you are approaching them they are moving which can be very disorienting.  

Well there you go. Shows I know nothing. Lol. I always thought you had to display your nav lights and stern light when anchored at night, and always have.

Very good advice above. Definetly agree with the lightbar comment about them being next to useless in open water. I have a spotlight that goes into a ciggy lighter socket, not that i use it very often apart from looking for crab pots at night. 

People anchored with no lights annoy me as well. Even worse if they are planing towards you with no navs it is just dangerous (especially if you have no navs either).  If i am fishing somewhere that isnt popular than i most likely wont put an anchor light on. If i see or hear someone coming i turn a torch on to show im here. 

Great advice thanks guys. Had heard about lightbars not lighting anything up out on the water before actually - thought it might at least light up a bouy or marker if close, but most of the time it would light up nothing when away from objects. Will have a think on that.

While on the topic of boat lights, I had always turned my all round white light off when underway (as my instructer said years ago to only have it ON when anchored), but the water police up in Hervey bay told me it's better if I have it on so that I'm visible from all angles, particularly behind. I've done this ever since.

15 minutes ago, Ryannnnnnnn said:

While on the topic of boat lights, I had always turned my all round white light off when underway (as my instructer said years ago to only have it ON when anchored), but the water police up in Hervey bay told me it's better if I have it on so that I'm visible from all angles, particularly behind. I've done this ever since.

White all-round must be on at all times after sunset and before sunrise. If a faster boat approaches you from the stern they cant see the navigation lights. 

27 minutes ago, Ryannnnnnnn said:

Great advice thanks guys. Had heard about lightbars not lighting anything up out on the water before actually - thought it might at least light up a bouy or marker if close, but most of the time it would light up nothing when away from objects. Will have a think on that.

It looks like you should have it (360 or stern light depending on craft) on at all times when dark - https://www.msq.qld.gov.au/Safety/Navigation-lights.aspx

Have seen the police at a few ramps around brisbane handing our warnings and fines for boats heading out at dark without appropriate lights.

On 14/10/2020 at 9:43 PM, GregOug said:

Well there you go. Shows I know nothing. Lol. I always thought you had to display your nav lights and stern light when anchored at night, and always have

On 14/10/2020 at 9:43 PM, GregOug said:

Well there you go. Shows I know nothing. Lol. I always thought you had to display your nav lights and stern light when anchored at night, and always have.

This is the link to NSW rules on Boat Lighting.  I would assume the same rules apply in other states  

https://www.rms.nsw.gov.au/documents/maritime/safety-rules/publications/be-bright-safe-night.pdf

90463827-F9E7-4CBE-A56F-99C55FC4E4A7.png

• 1 month later...

Yep torches and bright lights in the face is a definite no no . It's like ringing the sexual harassment hotline and asking the operator what she's wearing , yeah it's funny for 30 seconds but in the end someone will want blood. It's no hard to make an approaching boat aware of your presence shine a torch in the air then there's no need for lights in the face.