ellicat

What size reels and line do you use for mackerel. My brother recently bought a boat for offshore trips and I’m semi interested on catching mackerel on metals . I’m thinking a 4000 sized reel with 300m of 20lb braid and a 40lb FC leader with a short bit of 70lb mono trace or nylon coated wire connected to a lure 

For offshore I think you'd want a larger reel that you can bottom bash with as well, so at least a 4000 will give you a big enough spool, but I'd prefer a 5000. You wouldn't need a 70lb trace - 40lb would be enough. Wire is not necessary and most articles will tell you you're less likely to get a hookup with it.

In Moreton Bay, to date I have used a 4000 spinning reel with 20lb braid and 20lb leader onto a set of 3 x 4/0 gang hooks. This has served me well. However for trolling I have got the new setup with 15kg mono.

Read this in a hurry before going to bed Brian (BIG week ....) but just wanted to quickly note that it is normally believed that 3 inch spoons are better for the bay - might be worth either swapping them or adding to your collection. Watertower Bait & Tackle (next to the BP on your way to Manly Harbour) normally stocks them.

What depth were you in out of interest? I normally try to stay in water at least 5m deep. And normally if you are catching gr!&&er$ you are too shallow so either need to go into deeper water OR wind in some line so that it doesn't dive as deep. All a learning curve. Just catching one on your first go is a success 🙂 

We were in 7 - 10 metres but came into a sharp incline that took us to less than 5 metres rather quickly. Momentarily thought we'd hooked up.

It was disappointing as the Yamashita trolling boards are no longer made in the 6 inch and are getting hard to find. I got the last one from Watertower last week. Just found some more online, luckily, so I snavelled a few.

Thanks for the tips.

1 hour ago, ellicat said:

We were in 7 - 10 metres but came into a sharp incline that took us to less than 5 metres rather quickly. Momentarily thought we'd hooked up.

It was disappointing as the Yamashita trolling boards are no longer made in the 6 inch and are getting hard to find. I got the last one from Watertower last week. Just found some more online, luckily, so I snavelled a few.

Thanks for the tips.

A few! Mine cost me thirty something bucks for one. Did you win lotto?

Got a message yesterday they only had one in stock, not the three I ordered. So a refund is on its way for 2.

I then ordered more from another tackle store and they rang this morning to say they don't have any in stock either, so another refund is on its way.

The search will continue today.

59 minutes ago, ellicat said:

Got a message yesterday they only had one in stock, not the three I ordered. So a refund is on its way for 2.

I then ordered more from another tackle store and they rang this morning to say they don't have any in stock either, so another refund is on its way.

The search will continue today.

Now I feel extra bad that we lost your other one on its first outing. I should have stopped the boat as soon as we hit the 5 metre mark. I will bring an extra Cherry Ripe for you next trip.