Tinny troubles

Mylesfisher

That's your decision, everything is a trade-off with boats. I would suspect with only a 6hp on a 4.1m boat that you wouldn't be getting on the plane or travelling very fast anyway, so it may not be a huge negative. Where do you use it/how far do you normally travel? If you're wanting more speed a motor upgrade may also be worth considering. A 4.1m boat would 'normally' have a 20-30hp motor if you're wanting to get from A to B quickly.

10 hours ago, rayke1938 said:

best way to see how the extra weight would affect your hull is to place a bucket of sand in it and see how it goes for example a100ah battery weighs aprox 30kg and see what size motor you intend to use and then work out what weight of sand to place in the bucket. Depending on your budget a lithium battery weighs about half the weight of a conventional deep cycle battery. Aldi has a 100 a/h lithium on special this week and it comes with a 3year warranty.

cheers Ray

Hey @rayke1938.  I can’t see the battery in the catalogue. What price have Aldi got on it.

I am finding it difficult to follow exactly what you are asking. In the first post you had a 410 dart and you wanted to know if you could put an electric motor on it if you used your 6hp motor. Then you have a 350 explorer (or is it a 310) and you said you were keeping the motor but selling the hull, now you want to upgrade something. Maybe post again and tell us exactly what you have now and what you want to achieve? First, though, check your compliance plate to see what is the maximum size motor allowed for that hull and maximum number of people you can have in the boat. 

To clarify I have a 350 explorer and a 6 Hp 2 stroke as I am under 18 I can not get a bigger motor the max people is 4

and I want a motor, casting deck and just generally Ill pimp it up Is there any upgrades that I could do to up the speed of 20-25 notes max If this is too much to ask for what model of tinny could I downgrade to sorry for the confusion Cheers, Myles

46 minutes ago, Mylesfisher said:

To clarify I have a 350 explorer and a 6 Hp 2 stroke as I am under 18

If you are under 16 and can't get a RMDL (QLD), and want to go fast with 6HP, you will need the smallest and lightest boat. Even then you will need to keep the weight down (no cast desk or extra people). Not sure how the Tinny Rats on the GC manage such speed in their boats. They're either young looking 16 year olds, or they put a 6HP sticker on their bored out 15HP outboard. 

If I was you and were under 16, I'd look at a Kayak instead for the interim, maybe with a small electric motor. Then when you're old enough to get your RMDL, upgrade to a 15HP on your explorer and then add casting deck and any extras you want. 

3 hours ago, Mylesfisher said:

How much do decks cost and what is the lightest material to use?

It would probably cost differently depending on what material you decide on and how many square metres your deck is going to be. Maybe find out how large you want your deck to be then choose your material, then you can figure out how many square metres you will need (and the cost of your material for your deck).

a 1200X 2400 sheet of ply will vary between 17kgto 30kg do not use non structural grade as the glue between plys is not water resistant. Depending where you are the cost of the structural ply will start off from around $60. Then you have to consider what bracing you need and the cost of carpet and glue. Do you really need a casting desk especially on a small tinny which are usually quite tender.

This wild reaches youtube vid should give you some ideas.

Use the thinnest ply as possible. 9mm like these guys used is as thin as you should go. will need some alloy angle support to span the gap.

Instead of marine carpet, get a small pot of external house paint, and give the ply 2-3 coats. Add some sand to paint of top surfaces and that'll give it some grip. Much easier to clean than carpet, just hose off mud, blood and guts at end of day.