Kat's a Piker

ellicat

25 minutes ago, Old Scaley said:

Long day in those really tough looking conditions 🤣

I checked on Willy for Green Island and it was 27 knots apparently. Turns out it was the wrong Green Island.🙃

11 minutes ago, Allnighter said:

Nice Brian and Kat ! 

Theyre getting bigger 🙂

Caught it at one of my old marks where I've been dusted up previously. The new found method works beautifully. 😉

That's a solid day on the water 7am to 7pm - I'd probably need a nanna nap in the middle of that fishing sesh.

Great to see you getting onto the snaps. The only way is up now.

28 minutes ago, ellicat said:

The new found method works beautifully. 😉

What's the secret sauce here?

@GregOug let me know what was happening with your GPS / Sounder - See if we can help troubleshoot.

Was the unit getting any power / Starting up?

2 hours ago, Hweebe said:

That's a solid day on the water 7am to 7pm - I'd probably need a nanna nap in the middle of that fishing sesh.

Great to see you getting onto the snaps. The only way is up now.

What's the secret sauce here?

@GregOug let me know what was happening with your GPS / Sounder - See if we can help troubleshoot.

Was the unit getting any power / Starting up?

Hi Hweebe,

It was working fine until it suddenly switched itself off and wouldn’t turn back on. It had been on for about 7 hours by that stage. When we got home it suddenly came on but kept showing the Garmin startup screen, then seemingly resetting and showing it again every few seconds without going any further into its startup procedure. When I checked at the end of our boat cleanup it appeared to have got past startup and was showing the gps map but it appeared colourless or washed out. That’s as close as I can remember the details.

cheers

Greg

21 hours ago, GregOug said:

Hi Hweebe,

It was working fine until it suddenly switched itself off and wouldn’t turn back on. It had been on for about 7 hours by that stage. When we got home it suddenly came on but kept showing the Garmin startup screen, then seemingly resetting and showing it again every few seconds without going any further into its startup procedure. When I checked at the end of our boat cleanup it appeared to have got past startup and was showing the gps map but it appeared colourless or washed out. That’s as close as I can remember the details.

cheers

Greg

Hi Greg, have you checked the cables leading into the back of the unit? My last Simrad Combo developed a nasty habit of having some of the cables come loose occasionally. Apart from that, I got nothing!

Cheers

Ed.

7 hours ago, Ed. said:

Hi Greg, have you checked the cables leading into the back of the unit? My last Simrad Combo developed a nasty habit of having some of the cables come loose occasionally. Apart from that, I got nothing!

Cheers

Ed.

It seems to be working fine again. I wonder if it got hot and switched itself off? I know my phone has done that out in the boat before.

14 hours ago, GregOug said:

It seems to be working fine again. I wonder if it got hot and switched itself off? I know my phone has done that out in the boat before.

I would hope not. 

I would be checking all power supply connections etc first. 

Even the buss bar or fuse panel that the unit is drawing power from. 

I have to do something similar. 

I recently replaced a live bait tank pump that now interferes with my sounder when switched on. 

My sounder goes all "misty" and has a aqua hue over the entire screen when the pump is activated. Yes I can live with it but ADHD and OCD won't let me live in peace. 

I blamed ellicat and old scaley, but I have since tried it at home and its still playing up. 

I wouldn't think that the heat in the sun would be the cause. 

There are charters out there that have sounders the same as yours being abused daily in the hot sun, all day, every day, and they keep on keeping on. 

Not saying it isn't a faulty unit however I'd be certain I've traced all faults back to the unit itself. 

3 hours ago, ellicat said:

Thinking we would be back before dark, I only took my prescription sunnies. Kat lent me hers so we could get home. I couldn't see the sounder but I could see the lights and beacons. Kat took a pic that I thought I'd share as we both got a laugh from it.

1677301609a.thumb.jpg.44da61c00d5d6a77b56ad5b99351def6.jpg

I reckon they make you look more younger/presentable somehow.😂

Need to get a pair for yourself Brian.😆

On 17/06/2022 at 10:46 AM, GregOug said:

Hi Hweebe,

cheers

Greg

First as others have said check electrical connections - however with your unit mounted in dash its unlikely the cause.

It could be voltage related if it is not booting up or hanging on startup - The units and their processors are quite sensitive to unstable voltages.

Do you have your boat of a trickle charger? Hence now after its been plugged in for a while the unit works no worries?

Heat / getting hot could be an issue but as mention above this is the least likely scenario given how new your unit is.

12 hours ago, Hweebe said:

First as others have said check electrical connections - however with your unit mounted in dash its unlikely the cause.

It could be voltage related if it is not booting up or hanging on startup - The units and their processors are quite sensitive to unstable voltages.

Do you have your boat of a trickle charger? Hence now after its been plugged in for a while the unit works no worries?

Heat / getting hot could be an issue but as mention above this is the least likely scenario given how new your unit is.

I’ve just taken it to the dealer. I’m a retiree, not a marine electrician. Lol.