Moreton Island 17.07.2022 - 26.07.2022

benno573

• benno573 changed the title to Moreton Island 17.07.2022 - 26.07.2022 - now with photos!
  • benno573 changed the title to Moreton Island 17.07.2022 - 26.07.2022

I'll have to try Northpoint camp ground next. Have only stayed on the eastern beaches.

What's the walking distance from camp site to nearest rock fishing?

On 01/08/2022 at 4:01 PM, benno573 said:

quick feed of oysters from the rocks and back to explore rock pools with the wee one

I've never tried gathering oysters for rocks but would like to try some time, what do you look for? Tools?

On 01/08/2022 at 4:01 PM, benno573 said:

a guy then came over and asked if he could have one for dinner, next cast that request was sorted, an older couple asked the same and they got one each in the following two casts.  i could have stayed there all afternoon but time and tide was catching up so i had to head back to camp.

Even doing your thing for the community 🙂 

20 hours ago, benno573 said:

Walking distance - 500m-ish to where the tailor were.  it's not the best platform on the island, about a 4km drive and then a 15 minute walk to the best spots.

Gathering oysters - what to look for - oysters?  Tools - large flat screwdriver and a rock to tap it with is about as technical as i get.  You have to eat them while you are there, you are not allowed to gather them and take them away.  what to watch out for - waves and @Drop Bear trying to guard the oysters and make them spawn more

Happy to help out those who ask nicely mate.  especially when there is plenty to go around!

Simple as 🙂 ...will carry a lemon / lime with me and watch out for @Drop Bear and the Ozfish cap.

I'm a bit risk averse with no experience rock fishing so this makes me a bit nervous from stories / tales of rock fishing misadventures. I'm clumsy prone to trips and falls at the best of times.

Sounds like getting your tide times right is the first thing to safely move around?

On 04/08/2022 at 8:15 AM, Hweebe said:

I'm a bit risk averse with no experience rock fishing so this makes me a bit nervous from stories / tales of rock fishing misadventures. I'm clumsy prone to trips and falls at the best of times.

Sounds like getting your tide times right is the first thing to safely move around?

You certainly need to be cautious.  Tides do make a difference at some places for sure - but swell and wind are i think the most critical factors.  would definitely suggest standing well back and watching the waves for at least 5 minutes before approaching a rock to fish on.  one other trick i like to use is to stand on a dry rock.  if it was in the splash/wash zone, it wouldn't be dry.  Also worth remembering there is a huge difference between getting the occasional splash vs the risk of being washed away/knocked over.