NPD (8 May/ 9 May)

EMP

After weeks of frustration of not being able to fish and getting stuck at work, I finally found time to have fun. ;)

I decided to go to the dam for my first ever bass.

Prior to this outing, I had always wondered as to what it's like to catch bass. I often wondered how in the world fishos like Dinodadog got those bass. Having incredibly very little knowledge of lures and trying only a couple of times (luckily catching a yellowbelly in one occassion by fluke), I knew I should dig deep to find my utmost patience.

08 May

Weather: sunny and quite windy to my dislike. Everything else: perfect.

I got about 5 hours do it all and I thought I might just be able to catch bass for the very first time. So off I went to Bullocky using a spinnerbait I had bought half an hour earlier.

An hour later or so of seemingly fruitless casting, something tugged my line. It was heavy! It felt like a totally new experience. I told myself, "this has got to be bass". And right I was! It took me a couple of minutes to bring her in and it was worth every second of it. Uncle Dinodadog would be so proud! It was a bit of a letdown though as the fish was only 20+ cms. I happily let her go and smiled broadly as she swam away gracefully. :)

About an hour again later, another bass! But oh... a smallish one. She was about the size of my first one. Off she went to the waterworld.;)

But my catch of the day was my second ever yella (photo attached). What a beautiful fish. Beautiful taste, too. ;)

09 May

Another day, another go.

I was at that tackle shop looking for my favourite salesperson when I noticed someone who looked like that guy on AFO......yes, it was Dino! Seldom a shy person but nevertheless polite, I approached the Dino-looking gentleman and asked, "pardon me, sir, art thou that Dinodadog gentleman on AFO?". Dino replied, "yes, I'm Dino." From then on, Dino did not stop giving me tips, hints and what-have-you about bass for the next 15 minutes. While I might not have truly grasped all of it, it gave me so much confindence. Thanks, Uncle Dino. Believe me, I really appreciate it. :) You're the main man!!! ;)

Then off to the dam again I was. This time I only had 4 hours to fish so I hoped for the best.

About 5 casts later, oh dear, my line was heavy!!! The way it was pulling felt soooooo different--- different from the stingray, the huge mullet, the fat bream, the monster catfish and that mysterious thing that broke my rod at Schultz. It was relentless and heavy. I struggled with her for at least 3 minutes. I wanted to tire her out. I didn't want to lose her.

When the fight was over, I saw a gorgeous fish, a 50 cm. bass (photo attached)! A heavy one, too! Oh boy, I still am grinning ear to ear right now!!! :laugh:

For the rest of the day, 5 more bass- so the count was 6 bass for the day. I released the undersized 3 and took home only 2 of the legal 3. :)

Beautiful day, finally got a bass- something I could only dream of in the past. :)

EMP:)

Oh guys, sorry for the confusion. I should have read it thoroughly before submitting.

Let me edit it.

Don't worry guys, I know the bag limits. I had a look and previously printed out the thing from the DPI website. I even have a fish identifying thingy which I find very hard to use. :)

EMP

Plasticman, yeah I reckon lure fishing is not cheap. Hopefully, I won't get addicted to it...much :laugh:

Whatnow, they're great fighters and they don't quit easily. I bet you love it no end, too. :)

Rocket, thanks mate and about the tips, I only got 1% of what Dino knows. ;)

Kevin, thanks:) and hey, I nearly went one time at Newstead to join you and Dan and the others but I got sidetracked that night:( .

Dino, many thanks again. I shall outfish you soon. :laugh: Not really. That's next to impossible. You will always be the bass master :) .

Jeff, did I really beat your PB bass? I thought a 40 or 50 cm bass was common. Ah I get it, you don't like freshwater fishing a lot, do you? :) Oh by the way, probably weird enough, I think I caught that 50 cm by fluke again. I was just experimenting and dipped the rod tip into the water as I reeled it in. :unsure:

Dec, thanks mate and indeed I caught 6- 3 were legal but kept only 2. I should have read it the first time and rephrased that particular sentence. :)

Thanks heaps everyone! It does feel great to catch a first one... hope to catch some more sometime soon!!!

EMP:)

Archived