What is going on?

BundyBoy

Now that I have a bit of time up my sleeve and have got a small tinnie, I have gotten back into fishing.

The only thing is, I hear heaps of guys here talking of the fish they are getting and am soaking up the info they are giving in regards to locations, lures/SPs/baits etc, but I can't even get a bloody bite!:(

I have recently refined my action by getting a 2-4kg graphite rod with a spinning reel loaded with 4lb crystal fireline and 8lb black widow flouro leader. I have tried TT swtichblades in silver and gold, SX40s and various SPs.

Primary spots have been the wall at Pinkenba, near the terminals, the out flow pipe at the river mouth and around other structures. Primary fish I am trying to target are bream, with flathead on the sand flats outside the river mouth and in the passage between fishermans island and the mainland.

Have tried to fish the end of the run out, and change in tides, tried to line up the tide/moon phase and am just about to sacrifice a goat/virgin/chicken/carton of beer to try to better my chances. (maybe I am not holding my tongue right when I cast?)

ANY help, advice or offers to join me on a trip are welcomed. Have no fear that I want to 'steal' the good fishing spots - as I am primarily out there to relax and taking home only photos and memories.........

Chubby

I was lucky enuff to inherit my grandfathers boat when he passed on - I would rather he still own it and be able to take me out like he used to when I was a kid, we used to get stuck into the winter whiting in Deception Bay in the mid-late 80's.......

Anyhow, it is a 12" tinnie which is about as old as I am, but I have put a brand new 15hp on it as well as a sounder. Do you mean Wellington Point?

Scott

Sorry went out for tea,

Yeah Wellington/Wello point is a good little spot for some sport. It's not far from shore and on a nice day you could shoot out to Harries Reef. Only thing is you will need flares etc.

Keep at it mate, you'll hit a good spot soon. Good luck;)

I'm surprised nobody else has jumped on to give you some help:huh:

Jayson

easy bream technique is no sinker, small hook, using fresh white bread as bait... completly cover the hook and drop your bait close to a structure keeping your line slack so fussy bream arent scared off.

Ive caught a stack of bream around the sunny coast, brisbane, Gold coast and Nrth NSW using this tech.

good luck

wello is good also the brissie river mate heaps of diffrent species in there from bream and flathead to cod and thread fin salmon! as they say good thing comes to those who wait and im sure some luck will come your way keep at it mate

G'day mate,

Sounds like you need to come fishing with me, everytime I take someone fishing, I catch nothing & they haul them in! :laugh:

It sounds like you are on the right track mate, with the refinement in gear and the techniques you are trying and probably most importantly, you are reading & absorbing info from the collective wealth of knowledge that is AFO.

To add my 2 cents to the situation, my advice would be to stick with a technique, having confidence that this technique will catch you fish. It is all too easy and I'm sure that we are all guilty (I know I am) of changing techniques when there is no action. Once you have confidence in catching fish using this technique then start varying this technique in search of bigger fish or different species or even change the technique completely.

I'm definitely not an expert fisherman, but if you ever want a decky I'm sure we could manage to land a few on a trip mate.

Cheers,

Matt

Hey BundyBoy there should be some winter whiting out and about now around Scarbrough Redcliffe, A size 6 hook and some Live blood worms should help you Hook up some nice tasting fish. No need to go out to far either I normally just drift around 10 to 20 meters away from that path that shows up at low tide. MMM yum winter whiting...

Scott... Give away the fishing mate and stick to the rum, fishing is for mugs!

Nah there are plenty of little places to poke around in your tinny. Wello is a good one and so would a trip to Jacobs Well be. Give me a yoot if you want to go to Jacobs one day and I will bring my boat along too. I am always keen for a fish there (ohh and partial to a rum too!)

Mangler,

My brother used to make custom rods, and did one for snapper for me. First time out we were fishing exactly the same - line, leaders, tackle, bait etc etc. I couldn't buy a bite whereas he pulled in a few beauties. He really wanted me to get one something with the rod he built and we even swapped for a while - yep, you guessed it he started to catch stuff on my rig while I wasn't getting anything.

The only thing i ended up getting was a cuttlefish that was about 2ft long (no $hit). It didn't fight and I thought it was a clump of weed until we saw its tentacles, and squirted my brother with water prior to heading deep and losing me...

Dimo

Where/how do I get live blood worms? I have fond memories of getting winter whiting. Where is the path near?

Booty

I have been told a few times to go to Wello, which side of the point would be best. By the look of Google, the outside looks like it would have more spots.

I will give you a PM when I am looking at coming out, I will be out of action for a few weeks as I am having my eyes re calibrated on Thur.

hi ... still a novice and fish from land ...

i normally fish the pontoons at St Lucia ... or the bike paths along coronation drive ... with beef ... if there aren't bream there'll at least be catfish which is actually quite tasty prepared correctly ...

G'day Bundy boy,

Mate I was in the same boat so to speak, I moved to brissy from townsville a couple of years ago and my brother in law gave me the tinny I use now, the tinny has a pretty good fishing history having been owned by a fishing monthly pro before me (Shane McKee) and has been in just about every creek and river from balina to cairns. Its doing me proud too.. haha

Sounds like you must have disobeyed God at some point and if I were you Id watch out for whales swallowing you while your out there (ahla Jonah)

Ive been exploring alot in the last couple of years and know some pretty good spots in the brissy river and around the bay islands, and have been having a bit of success out at scarbourough reef.

I'd be happy to come out with you or you could come out in mine, whatever, just send me an email to bradandnelle77@yahoo.com.au or give us a ring on 0422080628

Brad

Well I went out to Pinkenba again today, launched just after dawn and fished for few hrs.

As usual - I got nothing.

Got some bites though and 1 of my SPs was bitten clean in half. I went to the 'poo pipe' and tried both sides as the baitfish were jumping about and being chased by mullet. On the western side in the lee of the current there were plenty of bait schools and I could even see a couple of bream around the dead trees but couldn't get them to bite.

I tried hard to match the SPs and lures to the bait, and was casting over the schools and retrieving through them. I also tried TT switchblades in silver and gold, and SX40.......

I then went over to the terminals - nothing

Went to the rock wall and worked my way up river - nothing.

Tell you what guys, this is frustrating as hell.

Bundy

I have a sure thing for you.

U seem to know the landmarks around the mouth of the brizzy river quite well (poop chute etc).

Where the dredge section is just past the final patricks warfs towards the mouth (the new section of patricks warfs that are not quite finished at the moment), you will see some steel drums, large steel drums forming a circle in the river leading out from the edge.

Frozen prawns, outgoing tide, or incomming tide.

Drifting either in, towards the steel drums, or on outgoing tide, away from them towards the shipping channel.

Gulp SP's seem to do the job as well on the drift, along with possibly an un-weighted pillie for taylor which is what myself and the old man scored on sunday morning, undersize, but still fish on a boring day is better than no fish at all.

Try not to be there in the middle of the outgoing and/or incomming tide, but rather to the end/start of each one as its no good when the current is at its peak in the middle, and the end of a run out tide, and the start of the incomming tide gives you the best of both worlds.

There are guarenteed Sole in here, long shank hook with frozen prawn, me and the old man have sat there and caught one every throw before we got bored of them, obviously, also flattie in the same environment.

When the bay's too rough to get out, this is what we do, we have fun, and at the turn of the tide, anchor up where we got the most hits and put down some bigger baits like freshly caught cattie and have some fun with a shark.

feel free to pm if u dont understand location and i will direct you too it. you dont need any special gear or technique for this one m8. you just need to know the spot, and im happy to confirm it with you before you go :)

paul_olsen666@hotmail.com or paulolsen666@gmail.com

pinkey wrote:

Dw mate, it took me agessss to catch stuff on lures! I reckon just try lightly weighted gulp on light leaders and cast into the shallows, should deffently get somthing, just fish them very slow.

Pinkey

That is EXACTLY what I was doing today with 3" Gulp Minnows.:(

Bogan,

I think I know where you are talking about, there are some sand hills on the shore and a heap of small floats. When drifting with SP's, do you just chuck a unweighted hook in them (like a long shanked Bream hook?)

Would you be keen to come out for a session?

The other place I was going to try was the Scarborough reef. Grab a bag of Pillies, anchor up and start a burley trail with the odd hook thrown in for good measure. Or get some bloodworms and sit out in Deception Bay and try for some winter whiting.

Scott

In regards to the whiting, to get decent sized ones, u need to know the spot. We (my old man and i) were getting whiting in the river at that spot i mentioned while on the drift outgoing tide believe it or not, but they were only 10-14cm's and they swallowed the hook everytime, so it was really painful for us as we wanted to let them go, but sometimes they became our bait :(

yabbies/nippers or blood/sand worms are the way to go for the whiting with long shanked hooks and a red plastic tubing over the top of the hook, but i dont know of anywhere where they are getting decent ones at the moment.

as for a trip out, yeah, i'd be keen, its a bit hard to get hold of the old mans boat sometimes though as he's a bit protective if you know what i mean, he doesnt want me going out and catching fish while he's at work etc.

you obviously have a boat yeah?

i've got plenty of annual leave up at work, and would be happy to arrange a day or 2 in the next couple of weeks if ur keen, i actually have the following tuesday off + brand new phone with 5mp camera on it i'm burning to use. do you work mon-fri or shift work? I live at stones corner, but can get my own way to ramp etc with gear.

pm me if ur interested, prolly something the whole forum doesnt need to see.

BundyBoy wrote:

pinkey wrote:
Dw mate, it took me agessss to catch stuff on lures! I reckon just try lightly weighted gulp on light leaders and cast into the shallows, should deffently get somthing, just fish them very slow.

Pinkey

That is EXACTLY what I was doing today with 3" Gulp Minnows.:(

Bogan,

I think I know where you are talking about, there are some sand hills on the shore and a heap of small floats. When drifting with SP's, do you just chuck a unweighted hook in them (like a long shanked Bream hook?)

Would you be keen to come out for a session?

The other place I was going to try was the Scarborough reef. Grab a bag of Pillies, anchor up and start a burley trail with the odd hook thrown in for good measure. Or get some bloodworms and sit out in Deception Bay and try for some winter whiting.

Scott,

What leader were you using? and what weight jighead?.

If you want some good bream action, go unweighted, just put on a small sharp bream hook, light line, and drift bread or fleshbaits or prawns down with the current in structure, if you do it right and in the right location your pretty much gaurenteed bream. Flathead and i have caught up to 50 using this method in a couple of hours.

Bundy

Seriously if I can catch fish ANYONE can catch fish! I am totaly new to fishing and yakking and like the old saying goes..."the more time on the water..the more you will win!"

SX40's are my favourite lure along with SX60's....

You are doing better than me on plastics I the best Icaught was a blue swimming crab and nothing else!

Fishing can be extremley frustrating but if you just enjoy being out there in the outdoors and remember it's better than mowing the lawn!!!

Keep at it!

Batty

Archived