2008 Winter Camp - Results/Report

Angus

Hey everyone,

I will most likely do a front page report for this as well, but just thought id kick off a discussion thread.

First of all what an awesome dam! And only 1 1/2 hours from my house, I cant believe I have never fished it. Lure fishing was tough but plenty of fish were caught on shrimp.

The camp site itself is also fantastic. I plan on creating a new "AFO Summer Camp" and hosting it at Maroon annually with the Winter Camp remaining at Hinze. Apparantly Maroon fishes very well on the surface compared to Hinze so this could create some good opportunities in Summer.

One of my favourite things about the dam was all the dead timber.

Results

Bass:

1st: Jeff Flynn with a 40.5cm. Prize = Daiwa Sol 2500.

2nd: Ben Ebelt with a 39.1 cm. Prize = Mojiko Combo.

3rd: Paul Czarkowski with a 38.9cm. Prize Mojiko Rod.

4th: Tanya Gorrie with a 38cm. Prize Mojiko Rod.

Yellow Belly:

1st: Rod Vardy with a 42cm. Prize Daiwa Revros.

2nd: Gowit Gadram with a 38cm. Prize Mojiko Combo.

Overall Combined winner:

Rod Vardy with combined total of 77.5. Prize Mojiko Combo.

Plenty of spot prizes were also given courtesy Bozp's lures.

A special thanks to Steve Wilkes of Sports tuition for all his hard efforts and great food!

Also to the sponsors for the event Anaconda Logan for all the great prizes, and the guest speakers Neil Schultz and Phil Adler.

Thanks of course to all those that came along and made it a great weekend.

Cheers.

Photo's coming soon.

Angus

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well what an awesome weekend, it was like Chuck Norris AND Mr T. were there by the amount of awesomeness!

Was good to meet everyone there & good to get onto the odd fish too! Some nice fish were caught, a "few" beverages were sipped on, some great laughs were had and some very deserving people ended up with some great prizes for some nice fish.

The fishing was mighty tough on lures, but not too bad on shrimp. But will let everyone tell their own stories.

As for me, I ended up with 2 bass, both on shrimp in the low 30's. And a good sized bust off, thinking either eel tailed cattie or yellowbelly?

Big thanks for the free soft plastics that Phil from Bozo's gave us & the reduced prices on subsequent packs, and also the great information on choosing the right lure for the conditions. Also thanks to Schultzy for a great talk on bass trolling, I'm sure we all learned some great tips from that session. And thanks to Steve from Sports Tuition for the great weekend and Angus for organizing the do. And Thanks to everyone else for making this a great weekend.

Particular mention must go to Ray for being a great skipper and the other deckie on the boat, Jamie, for putting up with the tangled lines when trolling.

Cheers,

Matt

Forgot to mention, the only downer to the weekend (aside from the odd hangover) was on the trip home when I pressed play on the CD player, only to be faced with "Kriso's Kampfire Klassics" disc 3 that was left in there after using my ute as the stereo on Saturday night. Well it wasn't all that bad, well not until "Duelling Banjoes" from Deliverance came on that is...

Sounds like a good session or two. Would have loved to seen Schultzy's talk on Bass.

Hope I didn't drag ya out of bed this morning mate :S

How was the weather down there? any drier than our trip to the stanley today? (nothing to report on that)

Angus wrote:

Thanks for that Angus!

But on a serious note what a great weekend! Good to see many partners come along which has given me an idea for a future AFO event. I will make a post soon ascertaining levels of interest.

Thanks

T

Well for this camp I was lucky enough to be given the day off Friday, so Rod and I arrived about midday and quickly set out for a fish. Friday was tough with a strong wind and the fish being quite shy with only a two bass, a spangled and a couple of yellas Rod caught right on Sunset, man the spanglies were hungry tearing a fair hole into the shrimp I brought from home.

Friday photos

First fish of the day

[img size=500]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/DSCF0673.JPG

post-266-144598464075_thumb.jpg

Saturday we had a much better day losing count on the number of bass caught on shrimp but nothing really huge and the spangled perch made quick work of our shrimp supply.

Then being the thoughtful considerate skipper that I am:P found a nice hole in the weed about a cast away from the launch area and Rod lands the winning yellowbelly. Well done mate definitely earned with the cold breeze we braved on the points. So confident he was with that fish he didn't even bother to fish Sunday with a case of food poisoning but he sparked up when the prizes were handed out:laugh: A great trip thanks to Angus and Steve for the organising and it was good to catch up with some old faces and meet some new ones, big thanks to Paul for towing my boat back up the hill. The camry just couldn't do it.

Saturday photos

Rods biggest bass [img size=500]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/DSCF0680.JPG

post-266-144598464081_thumb.jpg

What a great weekend! The fishing was great, the company was great, the talks by Schultzy and Bozo were brilliant. I'm gonna give the bozo's a good working over, maybe I've finally got a reason to cut down on my gulp consumption rates as I don't reckon the bozo's will lose their tails whenever a fish sneezes on them. Thanks Angus and Steve for hosting the weekend, and to Anaconda for the sweet new rod :) Oh and a big thanks to Tanya for keeping me company on saturday morning after I arrived and had to wait for hours the camp to wake up.

Thanks Aaron for letting me play deckie on sunday.

The third prize winning bass! I felt bad holding it like that but was the only way I could get a photo of me with it on the kayak. Congrats to Jeff and Ben for catching solid Bass, and Rod and Gowit on your Yellas. The next comp is mine!

DSC03936.JPG

what a top weekend i havent laughed so much in ages

the nightly bullshit sesions around the fire were hillarious

the fishing was tough on lures there's just so much fine weed in the dam they got fouled up all the time

on the saturday morning benno573 hit the standing timber at the very back of the dam where i picked up a 34 then the winning bass at 40.5

and lost few more, then we hit the deep timber opposite the camp there were plenty of scattered fish showing on the sounder but they werent interested in anything we offered except for one fish that owned bennos plastic and imediatly bricked him big time.

then we went for a run down to the rocks next to the wall where we got onto a few small specimins(benno was finally on the board)

it was getting late by this stage so we decided to go back to where we started and use the last of the shrimp before finishing time

we nosed the boat into a clearing in the trees and started fishing

got smashed on a rod i'd put down for a second and nearly lost the rod over the side, still got it thanks to bennos quick grab but lost the fish.

then i thought i'd try hanging my bait under a float to make shure the fish in the weed could see the bait above the weed and it worked well.it got hit hard and in came a nice 34cm bass.

then benno got a hookup and it was a nice fish,it nearly got him around the tree beside us but a bit of dancing saw a nice 39cm in the net.

i continued on with my float getting a 39.5 a 38 and a 37 before we called it quits for the day

sunday we got nada just pinned lures to trees, rocks ,logs and the old underwater barbed wire fence that goes out a very long way from shore

a big thanks to steve and angus for making this happen

to shultzy and mr bozo for thier informative presentations

a huge thanks to the crew at anaconda logan for my new td sol

again to anaconda logan and bozos for all the freebies

(gotta love free lures)

and finally to all the great people that attended this time

what an awesome bunch to get rat arsed and ridiculas with

my tally was 7

1x under 30 not measured

2x34

1x37

1x38

1x39.5

1x40.5

angus can i have a permanent booking for these events

cant put picks up yet my data cable is A.W.O.L.

Like Jeff I want a permanent booking. I tend to miss all the nighttime excitement as I fade after 8.30pm.

Arrived there at around 10am Friday and met Jamie and immediately launched the boat to sus the place out and do a bit of a prefish.

We found some bass just over 30 in the timber near the launch site them mover around for an explore. It was pretty windy in the main basin but I managed one yella on a trolled lure.

Made our way back to the ramp around 4ish to meet the rest of the gang as they arrived.

The manager of the fishing section of Logan Anaconda drove all the way up to the camp first thing on Saturday to deliver the prizes and a sample bag for each participant.

THANKYOU.

Matt accompanied us on Saturday and the fishing was very tough for us with only a few bass over 30 boated.

Excellent presentation by Schutzy and Phil Adler on Saturday afternoon.

Sunday the weather had improved but there was a severe shortage of shrimp.I still had a dozen left over from the ones that I brought up on Friday.

First off we poached Aarons spot but only caught spanglies so we moved up to where Steve was fishing and also fed the spanglies.

We then went down to the first bay near the public ramp and got onto quite a few bass but no size to them but at least Matt caught another one.

I think that I caught the only lure caught fish in the comp but as is was just fractionally larger than the lure I didn't bother measuring it.

Here are a zillion photos that I took.

Cheers

Ray

P1010261AFO-2.jpg

P1010262AFO-1.jpg

P1010263AFO-1.jpg

P1010264AFO-1.jpg

P1010265AFO-1.jpg

Nice one Ray.

And yes it was remiss of us not to thank Kris the manager of the fishing department of Anaconda Logan. Your a legend for coming all the way up!

Id also like to point out that its not Anaconda in general that is now a sponsor, but Anaconda Logan specifically. This is thanks to having a few inside blokes. So cheers! Dont hesitate to mention your from AFO if you happen to go in there.

Cheers.

Angus

Here are more I hit the wrong button.

P1010266AFO-1.jpg

P1010267AFO-1.jpg

P1010268AFO.jpg

P1010269AFO.jpg

P1010270AFO.jpg

THis egret was strung up by a length of fishing line that was tangled in the tree.

P1010272AFO.jpg

P1010273AFO.jpg

P1010275AFO.jpg

Mats first bass.

P1010276AFO.jpg

P1010280AFO.jpg

P1010281AFO.jpg

P1010282AFO.jpg

Could be some peoplein the market for a canoe after the camp.They certainly quickly became expert in manouvering them through the trees.

P1010287AFO.jpg

P1010288AFO.jpg

P1010289AFO.jpg

P1010290AFO.jpg

P1010293AFO.jpg

P1010294AFO.jpg

P1010295AFO.jpg

Glass out for around an hour on Sunday morning.

P1010295AFO.jpg

The view from the cabins.

P1010284AFO.jpg

P1010285AFO.jpg

P1010286AFO.jpg

If anyone wants a copy of any photos drop me your email and I will forward.

Cheers

Ray

Wow what an amazing weekend, put me down with Jeff and Ray because that was the best time I've had in ages. eh bro, it was choice

Ended up with 8 Bass for the weekend:cheer: and the company was just as good if not better than the fishing.

Big thanks to Ray for the ride for the weekend and the shrimp on friday. Angus and Steve for putting the weekend togeather, Neil and Phil for the info, Bozo lures and Anaconda Logan for the goodies and everyone on the camp.

Had the best laugh in along time around the fire, even if it did cost 50c each for wood, harsh eh bro

It was great to see Matt get his first bass as well.

If you have not been on a AFO camp befor your missing out.

Cheers

Jamie

well... awesome weekend... fun was had by all... except my liver. ;)

for reports regarding my fishing, see jeff f's post, it's pretty much covered. i think i caught the biggest weed fish of the comp though! :laugh:

a big thumbs up again to steve from sports tuition for an awesome weekend. another big thumbs up to angus for organising the whole thing and also to tanya + co for cleaning up after us messy blokes while we were too busy fishing :blush: :kiss:

was great to meet a few more members and their partners and friends, and amazingly most people put up with me (and several others - MATT... how is the bolignaise mate? :P )being a "bit" of a pisshead on the friday (and possibly the saturday :blush: ) night so thanks for that.

very informative talks from Mr bozo - phil and shultzy. i really learned how to photograph bikini girls a lot better so thanks a lot for that shultzy! :cheer:

last but definately not least - a big hug and kiss to our sponsors for the weekend, anaconda logan and bozo lures. the lures keep vampires and evil monkeys away really well and i think i should buy shares in anaconda logan, i think they know my credit card # of by heart now... :blush:

my new mojiko rod and reel combo are awesome and i look forward to testing them out next weekend and at the bream and snapper comp soon!

thanks all for an awesome weekend!

benno

ellicat wrote:

Sounds like a ripper weekend :woohoo:

Congrats to the winners. Looks like the weather held up alright too.:)

Yeah mate we had good weather. A few tiny drizzle moments, but from what my dad told me upon return, nothing like what Brisbane had.

Cheers.

Angus

firstly to ,Gus and tanya,anaconda logan and Phil,Neil and steve HI FIVE!

had a cracker caught my first ever bass finaly!! 32cm the night activities were wicked and alot of drinkeepoo's where had. Neil and Phil were great speakers and learnt quite a bit so cheers, phil you need some of Neils photos in your power point pres. :P

and Mangler just so you got lost from here KNEECAPS!

Archived