Awoonga Calling - "The Report"

Biggles

After almost 8 weeks of nail biting anticipation our trip to Lake Awonga West of Gladstone was about to become a reality. Our accommodation booked and confirmed over the phone, the trailer packed, tackle checked, re-checked and then double checked, we were ready. The ugly crew for this epic adventure included the following group of roosters, Terry (TerryH), Paul (Nodds), Lee (PCsolutionman), Adam (Lee's 16yr cousin visting from Sydney) and yours truley. Lee was on a mission to beet his previous PB standing at 104cm, Terry wanted to crack the 1 Metre mark, Adam wanted to catch every fish in the lake, while Paul and myself just wanted (desperately & secretly) our first ever barra. Neither of us had been fishing for barra ever and our anticipation was high in the hope of getting our first. With the yaks and all the gear loaded, we filled up with "RedBull" and headed North.

We arrived at the Awonga cabins around lunch time, unloaded our gear and made a beeline straight for the dam, a quick arvo pre-fish was on the menu in preparation for "the big one" on Friday morning. We were met at the ramp by Doug (Dougout) who had been following our forum count down and wanted to come and say g'day. We rigged our gear and shoved off in the direction of Dingo Island about 7km to the West, Doug choosing to stay closer to the ramp because of having no lights come sundown.

We were on the troll early following the depressions of the old creek bed clearly visible on the sounder, I had out a couple of Predetek's and I was real keen to get a good fish on my new rod that Lee had delivered only that morning. My second/backup rod was another of Lee's creations that he made for me 6 months ago, I was running a 2500 Sol reel, 15lb braid with a 50lb leader which seemed a little small for these big fish on this particular rod.

Almost to Dingo Island around an hour and a half after launch at it happened, BANG zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz the little rod in the rear holder went spastic, I reached back grabbed it and made a conscious decision not to tell anyone, I just wanted to pull in this fish and then holla out that I had the first one, wrong, zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz holy mother of god zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz "I'm on", I'm ON, I'M ON zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz Oh crap these things can pull hard and I knew I had a good fish. All the lads quickly got their own gear in and came to help at break neck speed, Lee on the camera, Terry came in a retrieved my second rod and Nodds was on his camera as well at that point. After about 5 mins I could see my leader but had no colour, what's doing here???, then she floated to the surface and lay beside the yak, Oh my this is not a Barra, this was a HUGE barra and everyone did their bit to help secure this prize fish. Terry came straight back in again and helped with the bigger boga grips, Nodds came to the other side and released the bail arm on the reel Lee still recording my adventure, and Adam watching the whole time with eyes as big as dinner plates.

I had done it, my first ever barra within 1.5hrs, she went 116.5cm on the mat and all done on the yak, how happy was I?. We made a conscious decision not to release this fish but to eat barra fillets and support the official line that metre plus barra should be removed from the impoundment. Lee and I headed for the nearest foreshore for some more pics as we were loosing daylight quickly, while Terry and the boys went back to the task at hand.

There are several chapters to our 4 days away and this is only the first instalment, others include Nodds smashed my 116.5 PB barra a short time later that evening with a whopping horse at 125cm, we have tales from Baffle Creek, Matty Mott's charters, Nodds first mangrove jack and Dr Biggles operates on Lee. Our chapters will evolve over the next few days along with many many pics. I would like to thank the guys for helping me secure my first ever barra, in particular Terry (midget) Hessey who helped secure my prize before any head shaking, thanks mate. Great to also meet Doug and enjoy a nice cold beer.

Regards

Al [img size=448]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/IMGP5058.JPG

post-2756-144598480177_thumb.jpg

Well what an awesome 4 days away with the boys. We got to awoonga thursday arvo and hit the water for a session, straight to the submerged weed beds we pulled the fish from last year and as we approached them Al got absolutley smashed on a Gold and green Viper, well ill let this video footage I took tell the story.

PLEASE NOTE IF U ARE OFFENDED BY THE F WORD DONT WATCH

[video type=youtube]6HXG2enpNlI

thats part one ill add some more soon

Lee

After dark on the way back from dingo Paul got onto an awesome fish, he was yelling for us for a little while b4 we heard him he was yelling against the wind when we did hear him we turned back and headed to give assistance if needed, I was first on the scene, as I approached all I could see was whit water and hear loads of spashing. well after a couple of misshaps (Ill let paul tell u about them) he landed a absolute horse of a barra. heres a few more pics

[img size=499]http://i205.photobucket.com/albums/bb161/pcsolutionman/Awoonga%20and%20Baffle%202008/pc040530-web.jpg

[img size=499]http://i205.photobucket.com/albums/bb161/pcsolutionman/Awoonga%20and%20Baffle%202008/pc040864-web.jpg

[img size=499]http://i205.photobucket.com/albums/bb161/pcsolutionman/Awoonga%20and%20Baffle%202008/pc040538-web.jpg

Next Awoonga day 2 Terry and Lee hit the water with Matty Mott

Lee

Day 2 Awoonga

We slept in after having a few celebratory drinks after the great session we had first up. too hot middle of the day so it was going to be another arvo/ Evening session. Matty Mott was staying in the Cabin across from us. so we went and had a chat to get all the goss. He had got 2 that morning and 9 the previous morning with some clients, so

Terry and I hit him up to take us out for a charter that Arvo, he wasnt all that keen to start but after a quick chat and realising we had a good idea and wanted him to be fishing with us he was onboard. We set out at about 3:30pm in his boat and headed over to some banks he had been having some success on. Tied on some plastics and proceeded to work a nice drift along the bank bouncing plastics along the top of the weed. it didnt take long and Terry was on, well for a little while

[video type=youtube]5MYGijDCdTw

Nothing more doing on that bank so over to nother little bay, worked hard there for nothing then across the dam to anohter point where Matty picked up this little feller

[video type=youtube]oaZt6bnYAEI

Getting darker now and we are in a new bay, I almost got my rod ripped from my hands but it didnt hook, Then a min later Terrys on in the same spot.

[video type=youtube]Jtybf0ngOWw

that was it for the Charter, no fish landed but loads of hits and dropped fish and we certainly learnt a fair bit from a true champ, thanks a lot Motty. I would reccommend a charter with him any day.

Lee

pcsolutionman wrote:

bootyinblue wrote:
Oohh man.... I think we need to make this sticky so that I dont miss a chapter of what looks like an awesome few days with reports to match.

Well done guys and cant wait to see more!

Mate the report still includes 2 days at BAffle creek including Jacks,GT's,Cod,FLathead etc

Lee

And a quick story from Dr Biggles :laugh: :laugh:

Al

Well I'll have you blokes know I am sick as a dog, and dragged myself outta bed just to read the report, I must say well worth the effort!

Congratulations to Biggles and Paul, landing fish like that from a yak is amazing. After having had experienced the power of these monsters I know the only result for me would have been a pretty quick dunk in the lake and disappointment!

There is also nothing like sharing such a fish with mates, it makes it extra special!

looking forward to more details of this fantastic trip!

PS I also new you would end up kicking our but, only a cm in it though!

Day's 3 & 4 @ Baffle Bob's

Saturday morning 0600hrs and the anticipation was again beginning gather momentum, we were destined for Baffle Bob's caravan and holiday park located on Baffle Creek near Rules Beach. I had never been to this part of the coast nestled in the quiet surrounds of country life, somewhere half way between Bundaberg and the town of 1770. We checked we had everything right down to the Google Earth spots and Nodds pointed out one spot and said, "Jack lives there". Apparently Nodds has lived in every town in Queensland or knows someone who did :laugh:

We had been told of and heard rumours of big mangrove jack, Queenies, GTs, wild barra and all your regular river / estuary species down at Baffle, and although not really admitted to, the sore heads were disguised well as the boys were keen to hit the road. We stopped at the local servo on the road out of town filled up on pies, lollies and RedBull, Terry even stocked up on juice. :whistle:

We arrived at Baffle Bob's around mid morning and were instantly greeted with local stories like "the Jack were going off last week", "there's barra at the mouth", "crap those yaks are cool, how much are they??, you blokes got sounders on there, Aaaaarh you peddle them heh", you get the drift. After stowing our gear we headed straight for the ramp and decided some quick livies would be the go. The water temperature was very warm and very inviting so getting wet this weekend was not going to be an issue. Lee waded in to about knee deep and then, "Oh Bugga", the look on big Shreck's face was somewhat bemused as he said I just cut my foot on an oyster. What transpired next was like a scene from Jaws as Lee exited the water that had turned a blood curdling red, Terry was heard to say something like harden up Lee we going fishing. As Lee sat on the boat ramp watching blood spurt from his foot, you could clearly see for the first time he wasn't sure quite what to do next. Nodds suggestion of a quick trip to the doctor for some stitches was met with utter contempt, how dare he suggest such a thing we are here to fish. With no first aid kit between any of us (note to self), I walked back to the car and took out my $500 towel given to me by SWMBO as an anniversary present last year, camly took out my filleting knife and cut a long wide strip from one side and and gave it to the big fella. Righty ho, we are away for a quick afternoon sesh.

The lads picked up all the usual species, flatties, grunter bream, small jack as we explored this beautiful pristine water. I found some real quiet water that looked good and decided to flick a Jackall toward the mangroves. I was absolutely smashed twice in this area, done by a couple of jack who now had $30 lures suck to their top lips, these fish really can play with your mind if you let them. :blush:

Mid afternoon and the worms biting because it was much more important to be on the water than to have some lunch before we departed, we headed back toward Baffle Bob's and ice cool drinks, ice creams and juice for Terry. In the case of Sheck's foot, I got the big shella a cold drink and stitched his flesh back together with some sterile strips, disinfectant and some elastoplast that I brought from Bob's shop. We all had a rest, washed up and headed for the Baffle Creek hotel, hot pizza, cold beer and a few games of pool on offer.

More to come later, maybe.

Al [img size=448]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/PC055084.JPG

post-2756-144598480202_thumb.jpg

Archived