2009 Flatty Social Wrap Up

Angus

** This thread discusses the content article: 2009 Flatty Social Wrap Up **

Well done and thank you to everyone who attended the 2009 AFO Flathead Social! This event was set among a sensational environments, perfect weather and we are happy to say one of AFO's biggest events yet! With over 60 anglers on  the water, many great fish were caught. But at the end of the day, there can be only several place getters.

The placings were as follows:

Longest Flathead:

1st: Ian Ferguson - Fergie: 60 1/2cm.

2nd: Kylie Wahry - FergiesMrs: 58cm.

3rd: Jeremy Heidemann: Sehrguht: 57.5cm.

Best Misc Fish:  Ty Parsons with a 22cm Tube Length Squid.

Other species caught for the day included squire, grassy sweetlip, bream, whiting, stingrays, moses perch, pike pike and more pike.

A special mention should also go to Henry Do. Henry was a tad late to the prize presentation but for good reason. Over the course of the morning, aboard his Viking Pro Fish and armed with light tackle and assorted GULP henry managed to dominate a large school of large bream. All told 12 fish were landed most well over the 30cm mark!

A massive thanks again to all those that attended and helped to make this social a success. A special thanks to all the new members and first time AFO event goers as well. We had a very large number of first timers which is great to see. Thanks as well to all the older members who made them feel more than welcome.

Looking forward to the next one.

I will post a full account of what was caught later.

Good fishing.

Angus

Table Of Flathead Registered:

Ian Ferguson - Fergie: 60 1/2cm

Kylie Wahry - FergiesMrs: 58cm

Jeremy Heidemann - Sehrguht: 57.5cm

Matthew DixonL 54.5

Jeff Flynn - Jeff F: 53cm

Kylie Wahry - FergiesMrs: 53cm

Jeremy Heidemann - Sehrguht: 52cm

Kylie Wahry - FergiesMrs: 49cm

Rob Lowe - noname - 47 1/2cm

Kylie Wahry - FergiesMrs: 47cm

Eugene Zhang - Eug: 45cm

Liesbeth Thie - tacklebox: 43cm

Liesbeth Thie - tacklebox: 42cm

Kylie Wahry - FergiesMrs: 40cm

Andy Balzat - dexterrose: 39cm

Baden Phillips - kreel: 38 1/2

Tina Le: 38cm

Andy Balzat - dexterrose: 35cm

Angus Gorrie - Angus: 35cm

Andy Balzat - dexterrose: 29cm

Angus Gorrie - Angus: 28cm

Andy Balzat - dexterrose: 22cm

Andy Balzat - dexterrose: 15cm

straddiebrad wrote:

had a great day up there with good people and great weather it might be worth hitting it up again next sat where the tide will be a lot higher thanks guys,whos the suspect behind the pole :P

What suspects?? :laugh:

Bout to body slam that ray Gus??? :laugh:

Well... Team 2 Bobbies has proved that there is no such thing as a quota system ;-)

We managed not to boat a legal fish in 5 hours of fishing, with me catching 1 small whiting and Brett dropping what he called as a 'massive' flathead after having his drag set too high on a 3lb line setup. (Ed note. Flathead fishing with 3 pound line? Go figure....LOL)

Another great roll up from the AFO crew and good to meet a few new faces out there.

And no Rod, fishing for 15 minutes does not qualify you for a lucky door prize in the event ;-) :-0

Having never fished Pumicestone before, I was very keen for today and it turned out to be a fantastic day, in which I learnt a lot and finally got to meet the AFO crew in the flesh.

Just like Booty, I too worked all morning for very little results(actually no results). An hour before I was supposed to be back at the ramp, I finally hook up only to find an ink squirting squid has taken my green and gold hardbody. Beggers can't be choosers and I love calamari, so a quick scoop of the net and at least I had something. Little did I think that that would earn me the miscellaneous fish award. Trolling back I finally hook up to a lizard on the same green and gold, only to have it shake the lure two metres from the back of the boat. Oh! well and that was the day.

A great day none the less, and even better to walk away with a bag full of goodies from Damiki. Thanks to Angus and everyone for the organisation, and I'll be sure to see you at the next social.

Here's the winning creature.

Squid-20090913.jpg

was a great day took the whole mob and extra's .

we fished around the bridge bribe side .

that way the kids could fish and swim .

caught nothing there a few bites from bait nickers .

i did start serious and went down under the bridge put a bait out .

had a power prawn plastic cast it out ,went to give my first flick ,snagged .snapped the leader after walking out and getting wet ,trying to get it back ,had the shits after that and went back to bait soaking on the beach with the mob and swimmers.

so the morning consisted of have a few beers and sitting down and watching my rod .

then to the bbq .meet new faces and had a chat ,caught up with some old faces.

so cooked up a feed and then chatted some more .

then we headed over to the surf side of bribe for more swimming for the kids and eye candy for dad.then we had to stop at the park .play time on the big net and other thing's at the park .

then we did a 1 1/2 hr session on the canal at bongaree .around the bridge and rock wall .

well the kids where happy with close to a hundred toad fish caught .

and we watched a little sting ray cruse about in 2 foot of water doing laps feeding .

then headed home .

a bloody good day had .:)

also got home and every1 was whingeing about being sun burnt bar me .

i did not dress or look cool ,but no sun burn .:)

here is a pic of what i got to look at for the arvo fish and a few more beers :)

sunset_bribie.jpg

straddie brad can add a story about the 1's that got away, GRRRRRRR!! and Tav can add something about flying pike, that we saw around the bribie bridge.... LMAO!!

Thanks to every 1 that turned up, especially mooky for not fishing tooo. hehe, and letting us have a go at the title :laugh:

to gus for gettin it up n runnin too,

and brad for putting up with me hahaha

and every 1 else, you's are what makes these outtings so very worthwhile and fun, cheers every 1

NOW BRING ON DA PIN !!!!! GONNA BE A BLOODY BEAUTY!! LMFABO!!

CYAS

Robbo, hahahaha

Come on Booty anyone can catch lizards on the right gear, where's the fun in that... lol

That's what happens when you've been operating on 4hrs sleep a night for around a week; you just don't think things through. :silly:

On a serious note, thanks for the deckie spot mate, again it was a pleasure to spend a day on the water with you...

Angus mate, you've done a great a job as per normal. Im look forward to many more events in the future. It was also great to put some more names to faces. :)

Cheers all

Brett

hey, i had to leave early, so i was out of the water at about 10:30am, what were the sizes of the winning flathead? i did get any flathead hits,

ended up with a 23cm bream smashing a plastic (though it was a flathead until it put on a fight lol), a few whiting smashing some blade lures, also got a squirrel fish which went about 25cm, and had a squid going nuts on one of our plastics right next to the boat but couldnt net it which was a bummer,

was a great day, heaps of people out there by the looks of it, would have been good if i could of stayed, defently enjoyed the view aswell with the glass house mountains in the background,

Cheers JV

Sly32 wrote:

hey, i had to leave early, so i was out of the water at about 10:30am, what were the sizes of the winning flathead? i did get any flathead hits,

ended up with a 23cm bream smashing a plastic (though it was a flathead until it put on a fight lol), a few whiting smashing some blade lures, also got a squirrel fish which went about 25cm, and had a squid going nuts on one of our plastics right next to the boat but couldnt net it which was a bummer,

was a great day, heaps of people out there by the looks of it, would have been good if i could of stayed, defently enjoyed the view aswell with the glass house mountains in the background,

Cheers JV

fergie got 1st place with 60cm,i got 2nd place with a 58cm and 3rd place was 57.5cm

G'day all,

What a damned good day it was. Made the drive out and hit the ramp at 5:30am. Got to catch up with BigTez, Noname and got to meet StraddieBrad and BMXdj for the first time as well at the ramp. Launched and was away by 6 and trolled a hardbody and plastic behind. I took a left out of the harbour and made the sleepy paddle towards the mangrove islands at the mouth of ningi. Did a good solid 10min paddle with my eyes closed... I was that tired :D

Did a couple of drifts at the first island for nothing... paddled on to get between the next 2 islands...there was no one else there. Changed from a 3"wriggler in wine red for a 3" pumpkinseed Gulp minnow. There was a lot of action on the surface, so I figured I'd be able to jam my paddle in the ground, tie off my yak and have a snooze while soaking a gulp. 1st cast, 2nd hop...bang...damn this crappy noodle rod I brought with me... and damn my lazyness for not re-spooling my reel... No drag as the line just spun off the reel. Brought in my first bream of the day :) Filled up the water well in the middle of the yak and thre the 27cm odd bream in there. For the next 4 hours I just let the very light breeze and tide drift me around the area while I kept flinging out gulps and wrigglers. Got bitten off once, broke the actual hook of the jighead once, and broke my leader at the loop twice on fish.

Kept 12 of the largest in the livewell and would have thrown back maybe 4 of the smaller ones before Magiva and I made the paddle back... was certainly regretting not taking up BigTez on his offer to tow me back in :D

All in all a frikking awesome day and apologies for not getting back on time. A bit unhappy about not being able to say gday to everyone and see the big AFO crew. Kept 6 of the fish for a bbq last night at a mates, gave 2 to Magiva and let the remaining swim away. Didn't do a proper measure, but I'd say the largest was close to 37-38.

Cheers all.

Heres another pic of my live well :)IMG00082_AFO.jpg

HI Guy's and girls,thanks to Angus and all the sponsor's for a great day and the weather gods. :ta: Well done to all the winners a to Henry nice catch of bream have not seen one like that for age's and nice to meet some new people.Thanks to jeff for that beer verrrry nice and a fitting name for fishing to(wahoo).Will be looking for it next time I need a beer like now.

Did any of the prize winners leave a prize behind as I found 1 with my esky after we packed up pm me and I will get it to you asap?

cherrs darren

Archived