Surf reel recommendations under $300

blairv

Guys and ladies

I have the annual Fraser island trip coming up soon and I am busy putting together my rod, reels and tackle. So far I have my light (whiting/dart) combo, my backup medium/heavy combo and am now after my main medium heavy combo.

This will be used for targeting Taylor, Mulloway and other bigger rock and surf fish. I have a very sweet TRW made custom rod (12ft 8-10 kg) and am looking for a reel to do it justice.

The minister of finance and domestic affairs will have a spit if I spend too much but I am looking for suggestions for a good reel under the $300 mark for this great rod.

Any help appreciated - also would be interested in the best line to spool this baby with

Thanks

Blair

Brad

I have always wondered about Alvey - never used one though.

Are they an easy reel to use and the rod is a spin rod(i.e long handle at the bottom and smaller rear guide.

Would an Alvey go alright on this type of line?

I hated my alvey the first few times i cast it, but now wouldnt go back to a spin reel in the surf. but they do say you need a special rod where the bottom guide is higher up the rod. You can pick up a pretty sweet alvey combo for under $300

like the boys have said

go with the alvey

i have a 650 and i have caught some big fish with it

i have 2

one for surf and a small one for bream and its about 20 years old and has never let me down

they take a bit of practice to get use too.but once your got the knack they are great

As Mack Attack said for that money in spinning reels you will find it hard to beath the Daiwa Emblem Pro 5500A.

Have had a play around with one and they have amazing casting distance and one of the quickest retrieve rates out there.

Not that popular for surf fishing but you will also be able to run braid on it. Braid and alveys not so compatible.

for fishing within 50 mtrs of sand there is only 1 reel to use, and thats an alvey, do't worry bout your custom this n that, fish don't care, and you'll be way better off with an alvey and a rod suited to the reel, bet your ass, it will last a lot longer too, with out looking after it, getting it serviced, nursing it like a baby, washin it. just throw it aside and she'll be right for years, no matter how you treat it. the rod n reel don't catch the fish!

agree with everyone else on the alvey on the beach surf fishing you can't kill em but any other reel will implode if it gets a few grains of sand inside it which will happen not if. 3oo bucks should get u an alvey and rod to suit

mark

If you have concerns about getting an Alvey, go to the alvey website and have a look thru the site. You can find which reel suits which rod etc. If you have any in depth questions just send them an email and they will almost always get back to you within 24hrs (and thats from experience). You could quite easily get a full setup for $300. If you want to get a rod other than an Alvey speak with someone at your local and they should be able to help with which rods will be suitable. The alvey site also gives you a guide on how the guides should be setup on the website too. My gf's father recently sent his Alvey 650C(?) back to alveys as he was having problems. Turned out to be a worn washer & drag pin. Not bad seems it was the first replacement parts it has needed in the approx 30yrs that he has had the reel and it had seen heaps of travelling and still works like it is brand new. My personal opinion look at a live fibre or wilson rod. Reel choice would depend if you are looking at spinning off the rocks or baiting. For Spinning I would suggest a 650GRBC (but you will have to spend the approx $300 on reel alone), its a geared reel that obviously has more moving parts but will still handle the surf better than most. If you were looking at baiting look at a 650C5 or a 6500BCV or the 6500BCVRR if you think you will do a bit of both.

Hope this helps and doesn't confuse the situation.

Good luck.

If you have concerns about getting an Alvey, go to the alvey website and have a look thru the site. You can find which reel suits which rod etc. If you have any in depth questions just send them an email and they will almost always get back to you within 24hrs (and thats from experience). You could quite easily get a full setup for $300. If you want to get a rod other than an Alvey speak with someone at your local and they should be able to help with which rods will be suitable. The alvey site also gives you a guide on how the guides should be setup on the website too. My gf's father recently sent his Alvey 650C(?) back to alveys as he was having problems. Turned out to be a worn washer & drag pin. Not bad seems it was the first replacement parts it has needed in the approx 30yrs that he has had the reel and it had seen heaps of travelling and still works like it is brand new. My personal opinion look at a live fibre or wilson rod. Reel choice would depend if you are looking at spinning off the rocks or baiting. For Spinning I would suggest a 650GRBC (but you will have to spend the approx $300 on reel alone), its a geared reel that obviously has more moving parts but will still handle the surf better than most. If you were looking at baiting look at a 650C5 or a 6500BCV or the 6500BCVRR if you think you will do a bit of both.

Hope this helps and doesn't confuse the situation.

Good luck.

in agreement with the alvey lads,you don`t need to spend a small fortune on the rod,BCF and other larger tackle shops will have a reasonable range of surf rods suited to alveys.

Surecatch(bigfield),Butterworth and Alvey, produce economical(budget priced)surf rods on par with others on the market

The basic rule where alveys and rods are concerned is the 1st runner should be sitting at a spot about half the total length of the rod,this runner should be at minimum, about 4-5 cm in diameter.A short butt,below the reel, of about 20cm is fairly ideal.

I would suggest you pick up a spare spool for the alvey and put 10-12 lb on one and 15-20lb on the other,this will cover a great range of fishing options where ever you are.

A belted rod bucket holder,$12-18,can ease the weight of the combo if the fishing sessions are long.( both of these extras should work in with your budget)

Love fishing with Alveys in the surf. Can't beat that direct feel that you have with the line or the fact that you can drop it in the sand and rinse it straight out in the salt water. Great challenge to get good fish in with no sophisticated drag. Plus you know you will still be using the same reel in 30 years time with the most basic maintenance.

You Crazy Queenslanders and your Alvey's. :woohoo:

I'm originally from South Australia and down there no one uses a bloody Alvey!

Daiwa reels are the best for egg beater surf fishing.

Blair I assume your not originally a Queenslander either? as I see you also call the fish a mulloway not a Jew.

Best Mulloway I have caught was a 65lb from right in the middle of the great Australian bite. Coombra beach south of Yalata Roadhouse.

Old style Gold Daiwa reel did me well for years, yes it needed a few re grease here and there but great reels.

I've been in Queensland for eight but still have not converted to an Alvey and doubt I ever will. Not knocking them its just you generally stick with what you know.

Just my 2c

B)

Tony

Originally from NZ and we have never heard of the Alvey. I have always fished egg beaters for surf and would like to try an Alvey before i buy. There are 10 of us heading for Fraser (before Garret F&*%'s it up for everyone) and some of the guys will have one so will have a go.

At this stage I am thinking of a Daiwa Emblem Pro - but yes will test out an Alvey and see how it goes.

Agree with all the alvey users out there. I've got about 5 - man they can take some punishment - picked up 2 of them second hand and they're still going. Gave one to my uncle when I went to NZ and he sorta looked at me with a :huh: kind of face.

Guess they're not everyone's cup of tea :P

TonyMac wrote:

You Crazy Queenslanders and your Alvey's. :woohoo:

I'm originally from South Australia and down there no one uses a bloody Alvey!

Daiwa reels are the best for egg beater surf fishing.

Blair I assume your not originally a Queenslander either? as I see you also call the fish a mulloway not a Jew.

Best Mulloway I have caught was a 65lb from right in the middle of the great Australian bite. Coombra beach south of Yalata Roadhouse.

Old style Gold Daiwa reel did me well for years, yes it needed a few re grease here and there but great reels.

I've been in Queensland for eight but still have not converted to an Alvey and doubt I ever will. Not knocking them its just you generally stick with what you know.

Just my 2c

B)

Gotta say, as good as Alveys are, I reckon a 65lb fish would be a challenge :P Like to give it a go anyway :laugh: :laugh:

I love my alveys too and if you are throwing bait there isnt anything better. However if you are going to be throwing lures around all day then a TSS4 would be the weapon of choice. Not an alvey but can handle some reasonably rough treatment for an eggbeater.

The thing with Alveys is that they can take an absolute beating, without the need to take it into a shop for servicing or home surgery. Rinse in fresh water, maybe undo the nut thingy and then regrease. If you drown it, cover it in sand, you won't be concerned.

With the Egg beater.. any large amount of sand on it and prolonged salt water dunking, you know it will need a decent service.

Well after all the advise (thanks everyone) i have gone for a Fin-nor Ahab 20.

Got it for a great price and it has some pretty good reviews as well.

I will also be borrowing a mates Alvey combo so it will be an interesting comparison

Now I just have to catch some fish .....

Archived