Gladstone is fishing well - central qld

Brian D

Hi Guys

I have been busy with the new job and moving house so there hasn't been much fishing time which is why I haven’t logged any reports since I left the SEQ.

I’ve only been fishing a couple of times but always been successful.

First time I went into the Calliope River looking for Barra but only finding things like cod, bream and whiting.

Second, third and fourth trips I went into Grahams Creek where I bagged out on muddies, caught heaps of bream (bigger then the southern species), some nice cod, blue salmon, giant herring, tarpon and heaps of gar amongst other fish.

I went off shore with the Castlemaine and other pub guys for some huge GT’s, Cobia, big reds and other bottom species. Great day but a bit like a charter with so many people.

Next I went off shore around Facing Island and out to Rock Cod shoals. We caught 13 mackerel, parrot fish to 45cm, some good sharks, cod, trout and other stuff.

But none of this counts as real fishing because I love my barra time and from next week I’ll be chasing wild barra in a yak on Christmas Creek.

It took me forever to settle in to the new job, new town and find the right house to buy but that’s all done now so I’ll try and stay a little more in touch now, if you want me to that is, and next time I’ll even post some photos.

Aaron – sorry I missed your wedding mate, Kaz really kicked me for that, my excuse is that work was just crazy, which is pretty pathetic but that’s how it was. So let me make it up to you and offer accommodation at my place for you and Bel whenever you’re in the area.

Chilli D !!!!

Brian beat me too it, as I was going to ask does the kitchen push out the same quality 'staff meal' for lunch and do you get to enjoy it looking over a similar setting.

Great to hear you have settled now and have started to get back into the fishing scene. I read your comment about Monduran and would be great to see you there atleast for a couple of days as I owe you a beer, oohh and a 102cm barra :-)

Cheers

Thanks for those nice words guys. I get the internet on at home by the end of the week so I might be able to post some pics, either that or I'll bring my camera to work.

I have started the GYC Fishing Club monthly comps, with the next comp this weekend, I may even get a bit of a go myself depending on staff and sailing events. When I say "started comps" I mean I told the fishing club to get active and hold comps or go somewhere else and I'll start a new GYC Fishing Club. A bit harsh but it worked.

To answer the big question, is the food is better up here?

Hell yeh, more of it and I have a full expence account to play with. The beer is good to! How about you guys drop in for a session! I have 10 beers on tap and 2 cool rooms stacked.

To answer the other big question - the diet is not going all that well. Free beer and food is hard to go past. Might need a bigger boat soon.

Hey chilli D good to here from you again.

Well mate Iv'e got some news and it's aaalllll BAD,those cheating queenslanders ripped us of at the state of origin but in our defence we were out numbered about 20/1 :whistle: :whistle: :lol: but good to see you getting back into the fishing again

cheers dassa

Archived