Spirit Of AFO Award

Angus

Dear members,

Due to a prize from the 2011 Brisbane River Classic being donated back to the site I have devised a plan to make sure it goes to a worthy member of this Community.

I would like everyone to nominate (in their opinion) who they believe is an excellent, outstanding, helpful, member and role model on in this Community.

This can be someone who helped you fix an engine, gave you a deckie spot, passed you a beer, helped you catch you first lure caught fish or whatever! The point is someone who ensures your time here has been and is more enjoyable.

I would like everyone to consider the following when nominating:

Member username:

What they do to make this a better community:

How their participation has benefited you personally:

You can nominate up to 5 people.

This is far beyond me to judge personally so I will be leaving this up until Sunday the 18th of March. At 5:00pm on that day I will lock the thread and tally the nominated persons. The top ten will be added to a poll that members can vote on thus making it a "by popular decree" scenario. This poll will be left open until 5:00pm Friday the 23rd of March at which point the winner will be announced.

The prize for the overall winner will consist of a $250 Viking Kayak Voucher. Bare in mind for the boaties out there this is still a cool prize that could secure you new PFD's, rod holders etc.

Notes: Although I am sure he would receive the vote of many Rayke1938 has donated this prize and I am sure is not to keen to win it back so maybe consider that when nominating.

Please take the nominating and voting seriously so a true deserving member can gain.

Moderators/admin are not exempt from nominating or being nominated as they will not be playing a part (with the exception of their one vote) in the judging process.

Cheers!

Angus

Madmullet.

I cant tell you how many times Kurt has selflessly helped others including myself. I seriously couldnt even list all of the stuff Ive personaly seen him do for others in the community. You all know he is painting my car at the moment. He has looked after members with lifts, deckie spots, parts and repairs and has offered advice without reservation. He has taken many people from this site out of thier first sharking sessions and helped people get pbs they have been chasing for ages,

If thats not the spirit of afo I dont know what is.

Brad

Tugger.

This man is a wealth of knowledge, has been an outstanding member of AFO for many years, offered up more deckie spots than everyone (except maybe Ray), never says a bad word on AFO, organises the always immensley succesful AFO Wanderers trips, is happy to show anyone his spots, techniques, how to's etc and he's a just a top all-rounder.

Tugger has taken me out a number of times and is always a good guy to run into at AFO events.

Mickfillet

He is always giving great suggestions to improve your fishing and boating on top of that he is a top bloke

Madmullet

Plenty of advice on sharking etc and organising the sharking socials some of the best hunting reports i've seen

Stradiebrad

Longterm member that has given up boat space for deckie spots and will help you out in a jam alround top bloke

Kreel

Best reports for qaulity and always gives me a laugh organises kayak socials and larger tghan life caracter to say the least

Crazywalrus

Plenty of deckie spots and attends every event alround nice bloke just bring a spray jacket :woohoo:

how many people can we nominate ? haha ive got a endless list :P

Fair point.

As long as reasons are given ill accept up to 5 nominations per person.

These will all be tallied.

However once the poll is made it will be one vote each.

Angus

Tugger: For the countless deckie spots he puts up and always willing to share tips on boating and fishing.

Ted: Deckie spots always up for grabs, all round good guy.

Brian: Doesn't really need a reason :P A lot of work behind the scenes that can sometimes go unappreciated.

My 5:

Johnny AKA Webmaster: Why? Without him there would be no community. While I get comments that more people know me by name, Johnny puts in literally 1000's of hours a year (in addition to a day job) quietly behind the scenes doing relatively thankless work.

Ellicat: The more moderating done by Ellicat the less I need to do :) Its tough moderating friends and aqquaintances and I think he does a great job. Some people are anti moderation but sites that lack it turn to poo really quickly. Ellicat has been a volunteer in this capacity for years now and manages to add an element of humour to the forum despite all the idiots he has had to deal with!

Do$tylz: Once again, a great moderator. While not as vocal as Ellicat it's the stuff you dont see as well that makes a great mod. People constantly put threads in the wrong place on this site and it takes the mods a lot of time to move into correct categories, delete profanity etc etc. Plus Do$tylz has given me literally countless deckie spots over the years!

Tugger: Once again deckie spots are Tuggers thing and I love getting out with him. I dont think I have come close to donuting with tugger and that includes in some pretty damn trying conditions! From a community standpoint as well tugger does a lot for the "Wanderers Group". This group is a great example of how to appropriately use the "Groups" funtion on the AFO website. As the site expands and evolves I believe sub groups will become more popular as there will simply just be to many people for one "group". I think the wanderers, largely due to tuggers efforts has set the bar for how these groups can form and evolve themselves.

There are literally so many people that naming a 5th is becoming harder than I thought...

I am going to chuck it out there to Zim Man...

Zim Man: Not only a great reporter and contributor, but also AFO's longest sponsor coming on 4 or 5 years now! All our sponsors are integral to our ability to function and host events etc and none should be overlooked but ill throw this one out to Rob as although some come and go, he has stuck in there for the long haul.

Ok thats me!

Angus

My 5

Tugger - the most frequent deckie spot giver apart from Ray. A wealth of knowledge and a great bloke. Organises the Wanderers events which are great.

Mickfillet - what a great guy. always ready to give up his time to help and a wealth of knowledge and appropriately nicknamed "Mickguvyer"

Ellicat - A great Moderator with a gentle hand ( is that you wanted Brian - please do not ban me :evil: )

Zim Man - Great bloke - great sponsor. Always supporting the community

Johnny - Lots of hard work put into the site for not a lot of thanks. I know how much time it must take.

There are always more people you want to mention and I am sure they will not be missed by the others.

So many to choose but here's a few but no limted too :woohoo:

Mickfillet: AKA McGyver - spent a good chunk of time helping me troubleshoot engine issues at the last SoO.

The guy tends to help countless members and contributes with some great ideas to help other fisho's / boaties - just a good all round bloke!!

Henry: a little over 12 months he helped me re-kindle my love for fishing which has now become an obsession, he's provided a great amount of info helping me buy too much tackle and the endless fishing tips & chats and epic landbased sessions!!!! Henry is always willing to help people on the forum and is great value at the AFO events/piss up !!!!

Angus: pretty much the same can be said as above, again another person who is always keen to share knowledge and encouraged me to become more invloved with the community and events for that i thank him !!!

And the way certain matters were managed around the summer classic were exceptional !!!

Carter: Nothing is too hard for this bloke, have stayed up at the shack a few times and has always made me & my partner Bec feel extremely welcome, not to mention the countless hours spent fishing on his boat in the last couple trips.... also a pre thankyou for when we organise a day so i can learn to fly fish !!!

Kiwi Boy: What can i say.... thanks for the pics, enjoyed the report - 2 thumbs up !!!

Special mention to Kirk, Eddie, Zane, Jeremy for deckie spots too :) great all round blokes!!

in no order

straddybrad.... being a huge help to me when it came to lending his boat out and pulling me out when my car was boged

bass tracker.... well where do i start with him... ( top bloke )

tugga.... always offering decky spots and advice. arranging socials ect

ray.... always offering decky spots

and def the moderators, webbies ect to help run the site

their all edited

cheers kurt

well,

already said bass tracker.

mickfillet - talking to me lots about boats and always giving my helpful tips and tricks! awesome bloke and just a great guy! :)

Manni- Awesome role model, and has a chat to me about fishing and boating. Set up that prize comp awhile back where he give me a rod and heaps of lures!! because he is just a purely nice guy :-)

Angus - Popped around to my place afew times dropping off gear! going out of he's way to please people, ofcourse someone can't please everyone but he try to! put in so many hours keeping afo up and running. ALso always chatting to me and sharing tips - ex churchie boy aswell ;)

Carter - Always inviting me for a deckie spot with him, chatting to me all the time keeping me up to date with Noosa river's fishing. Also giving me awesome tips about all kinds of fishing including big jew and thready in BR and barra amd the likes in the noosa river. Cant wait to catch up in afew weeks!

And soo many others that you cant miss like's.. Ellicat and all the mods! also plugger, surfing ant ( bring my yak down to a yakking comp!!! thanks heaps) Wayne D ( LENDING THE YAK! cant thank you enough! lending a complete random who has never used a yak before he's best yak! ) thanks !!

Can there be more than 5? :lol:

Johnny and Angus: without these two there would be no community

Ellicat and Do$tylz: two moderators that do an amazing job of keepin the site relatively bullcrap free and helpful contributors in their own right

Tugger: decky spots and advice offered up is appreciated by all the community

Crazywalrus: same as tugger, decky spots, advice and allround top bloke

ONTHECHEW: I probably rate Andrew's reports as being consistently among the best on the site

Carter: the man is a legend with the info he has provided to many on the site, myself included

Keen-as-fisho: Den was kind enough to take me out to mud for the first time and is always keen to chat/offer advice/have a drink/whatever

Kreel and tacklebox: love their reports, always manage to give me a laugh

Zimman: longest serving site sponsor and a great contributor

Madmullet: again one of the best on the site when it comes to offering up advice

The list could go on and on, there are so many on here that are deserving that it seems wrong to single out a few but here goes ;)

Angus and Johnny: for the reasons above, there would simply be no site without their tireless work behind the scenes and while they may not win or want to win a prize for their efforts recognition of some sort is most certainly deserved.

Tugger, Crazywalrus, ONTHECHEW and Madmullet: these guys are what AFO is about, advice, decky spots, trip reports and a great community spirit.

Oops! Who could forget Mickfillet :lol: The sites mr Fixit, if you don't know who to ask then Mick is your man :silly:

where to start,

Jono - the cart wheeling kiwi from winter camp. He is alway willing to help afo members out and to make a margarita or two

Mad Mullett - by all accounts a great guy who offers his advice and services (not just in fishing)to those who need it

Tugger - always has deckie spots and a ton of advice and he catches big fish

Mick Fillett - nuff said, he is a wealth of knowledge and always helpful

Crazywalrus: great guy and others have mentioned always helpful and offering deckie spots

i am touched to be nominated , its cool just to be mentioned with these guys.

In the absence of Ray,

tugger - as previously stated...who would knock back an invite from this man ?!

crazywalrus - Has attended EVERY AFO event since joining plus all the wanderers and risked taking me out more than once

madmullet - as previously stated...who ya gonna call ?

Angus - the will to keep the place going plus reports plus every other thing that is done by him to keep the forum and site alive

Shane69 - bringing down the dark side lol Also the fishing tips and more recently more joining in with the group

Like ZimMan, nice to see ellicat got a mention :blush:

Tugger

Only met you for a little while at wavebreak mate but a very friendly bloke with a wealth of knowledge and always offering deckie spots even though they go in 2 minutes. Listening to you has improved how I fish and it can only get better.

Kurt

Haven't met you except for 2 seconds at wavebreak when I dropped off some excess tuna fillets but from all your advise and posts on AFO you can see your a good bloke who will help anyone out.

Shane69

For trying to turn a boat into an aircraft and get me hooked on fishing the darkside ie southside of Brisbane. Very good fisherman and great reports. Hope to smash the mackerel with you soon and try and fill the new esky.

All mods and admin

There wouldn't be a AFO without you guys

I would nominate the following members (much the same as everyone else)

Madmullet, when I first started was very helpfull and did a great deal on parts for my trailer, and always sharing tips with members

Mickfillet, have had the pleasure of hanging out on Melmick II the last couple of wavebreaks, is there anything Mick doesn't know about boats and fixing stuff?? Great company and good at cooking chooks on the rotisserie.

Crazywalrus, always offering spots, sharing knowledge and is a computer guru who has helped me out a fair bit

Tugger, for all the reasons everyone else has mentioned, great fisherman and good fella who shares his knowledge

Zano, great guy to go fishing with (even though when we fish together we catch bugger all) and my first mate of AFO

Aussie 123, passionate about fishing, knows a heap and always keen to share knowlege and help kooks like me

Shano, for busting that turd moses and for helping me get that rad cobia with his spots.

Manni79, for not trying to kill me when I almost sunk him at maroon and his rod went flying off the back of my boat and for sharing his knowledge with me and others on this site.

Ellicat and Dostylz for there great moderating of this site and for not banning me when I get exited ;-)

There are many a good bloke on this site, as illustrated when Jeff got his gear stolen, this is a great site and a great community, can't believe how many friends I have made in such a short time from this site.

I do not consider myself qualified to vote or nominate but do sincerely wish to thank the following people who selflessly go out of their way to help myself and others on the site.

Angus

Johnny.

Scope

Tiab

Dubbzy

Mick Fillet

Tugger

Shortie

Elicat

Zimman

Orca

Dinodadog

Straddiebrad

Crazywalrus

Doz$tyle

Aussie123

Bipolar

Madmullet

Dazza

all come to mind and plus a lot of others that I have missed.

Cheers

Ray

Addendum by special request of unnamed modest member.

Kreel

plus

Tacklebox

Lozzel

Brian D

so many of the guys on here help out in every way any any way they can and it is hard to pick just one,but i will say,tugger he hardly goes out in his boat with out someone from here dew to the spots he puts up and has shown a few people right ways to fish a spot and how to cross bars safely, gets everyone on the move when he does his wanderers trips and his family trips too,so hats off to you mark thanks for the things you have shown me and a lot of other members,and iam sure we will see more to come in the future.brad

In no particular order.

Tugger - as stated re: Decky spots

Mad Mullet - willing to help absolutely anyone.

Crazy Walrus - For his absolute dedication and love of AFO

Carter - For his amazing hospitality to all AFO members

Elops - For his wealth of knowledge toward any fish identification

Mick_Fillet - Absolute legend and true AFO spirit - gave me a deckie spot without knowing anything about me and got me onto my first threadie. Has helped me a lot with boat-service etc

Always willing to help and not want anything in return

Shortie - Richard has helped countless members on here always lending out his hobies and again never expects anything in return

Ellicat - Puts in a lot of work going through posts and cleaning them up etc

Tugger - constant deckie spots taking people out and getting them onto a fish of a lifetime

Zim_Man - top bloke, great site sponsor and more importantly great friend. always willing to help out and has taken me on many many trips on his boat (which i will have to return the favour)

Keen_as_fisho - helps out with all the kayak related stuff, gets constant reports up as well as taking me out on his boat heaps of times

MOSES :woohoo: :blink: :whistle: only kidding

2 that have personally helped me in many ways and expected nothing back

Angus: great person and friend to Noosa Fishing Shack, always willing to help out with AFO ;)

Fishing Nut: Helped me out with stocking the dam, getting cheap lures etc B)

Also:

Mad Mullet: Always helping a fellow, only met him once but feel like I know him well

Tugger: Always willing to offer worthy advise, tag alongs and decky spots

Manni: selfless sponsor of Summer Classic at his own personal expence

Youngy, Bass Tracker, Johnny, Ellicat, Coen CYk,

adding to the legends wall..

Prawnhead ( travis) picked me up at 6am and took myself and hfisho to the pinkinba boat ramp!!1 that is a true legend! haha

hehe Thanks Runty,

And I may add I've had a forum name change to something a little less derogatory ;)

Now Homer4duff :lol:

Guys that have my vote would be;

Dhess - what a champion bloke, full of knowledge, friendly, funny and pretty good at fishing ;)

Carter - Extremely generous and encouraging, always willing to give of his time, fishing legend

Freshy - great bloke, generous, doesn't mind it when I bang him in the head with my rod :-)

Angus - does a great job organising and running the whole AFO show

Tugger - For always giving guys the opportunity of a deckie spot and for imparting his knowledge (even if I've missed out on a few )

Sorry if I've forgotten anybody :huh:

Kreel

Best reports for qaulity and always gives me a laugh organises kayak socials and larger tghan life caracter to say the least

I'd like to second Tugger's nomination of me, I am a lovley bloke and looker to boot.

Old age has obviously caught up with "he who shall not be named" (Rayke) he forgot to mention me in his voluminous list.

On a serious note my nominations are:

Tugger: Top skipper, top bloke and top fisherman. Tugger is always ready to lend advice on the site and in person, he is probably the most regular poster of deckie spots and he always brings you back with a feed and the excitement to get out again.

Ellicat: Not only is she one of the best lookin' shielas on the site but she's a real lady. eCat is tireless in his moderation on the site - he makes the site a place you would let your children visit. He's funny as all blazes and he does after all possess the "Force".

CrazyWalrus: He is rarely seen on dry land, so strong is his desire to finally learn how to fish. He comes back to shore only long enough to pick up some land-based AFO member and share his good humour, and fish tracking (not catching - that's his son's job) skills (although he's yet to take me out with him).

Benno8008135: Not mentioned or heard from a lot lately but he was the first to offer decky spots to tBox and myself all those years ago. He learnt a lot from me and my 2 seconds of fishing experience and he may have passed on a bit of knowledge in the other direction.

I'd mention the old bastard Rayke but I am determined to usurp him from his position of the patriarch of this site. I have been using my sweet nature and friendly demeanor to slowly worm my way into your hearts and minds. So far I have endeared myself to the kid with the massive head - Jordin, or is that Pussca; The fella that tells you about all the fish he caught before you arrived - Pussca; Pussca's wife; I have plans to get Mrs Gus (aka Tangles) on side by getting her obliterated at winter camp on high end Whisky and lastly I have KAF onside alter I helped him name his Yak HMS Ladyboy.

Lastly I nominate - Warde: WHo I notice is the latest member of AFO, cos he has the potential to be great on the site. Welcome Warde.

Archived