Gold Coast Barra Fail

tomca

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If his pic was at the water it could have been a legitimate story, but the pic is in the middle of a construction site so I guess it would be tough to claim it was released

Who is to say that it was actually caught where he said it was caught?

Well unless he flew to the NT or WA for a quick flick before work........

There's no excuse for killing a fish subject to a closed season in closed waters, how hard would it have been to take a quick photo on his phone and let it be on its way? Couldn't do that though, that's not manly enough ;)

so with that justification, it would be cool to keep barra out of the Kolan River during closed season because most likely the fish originated as stocked fingerlings in Monduran Dam?

Is that right demarc?

Tom I grew up in Bundy,in the 60`s and early 70`s pre Monduran Dam, the old man would take myself and my brothers up to the Kolan and we would camp,crab and fish a few days at a time near where the Miara camp grounds are now.

There were barra in the creeks back then, along with king and blue threadys, monster muddies and regular over 3 foot (about 90cm) flatheads.

The so called good old days,Austin A55 sedan,wood bodied home made box trailer, home made bondwood boat,British seagull outboard,floorless canvas box tent,kero lamps,wacko cane,and solid glass rods, steel rod and wire mesh crab pots.

Gee I miss the good old days. NOT!! :lol:

Not wishing to hijack the thread, so I will start by saying that ignorance is no defence of the law..... so he should be fined.

But everyone here is quick to jump the guy about breaking the law, but just think twice before you take the photos of the obviously under or oversize fish for the next photo fishing comp you enter and not release the fish immediately back to the water.

Cant have it both ways people.....

Greg,I understand what your saying,I think what is upsetting folks is the fact the fish was not released.. the fish appears to have been dead before the photo shoot (yes an assumption on my part) :)

ignorance is no excuse!!!!

i hope he gets his ass handed to him in court and fined to show others , just because its a fish and you caught it, doesnt mean you should take it!!! escpecially if you dont know the rules,size limits, bag limits ect!

fisheries should start enforcing all penaltys to the maximum!

If the news article is right, such defiance should be given a harsh penalty.

My opinion would be a bit different if his tone was "oh sh**, I didn't know, my bad." Whether it was a lie or not you'd never know.

Booty, the difference in your instance I think is that pausing for a photo then releasing still ends with the fish back in the drink unharmed. Blatantly catching the fish and parading it around town/newspapers saying "yes, I caught and kept this fish and you can stick ya fine up ya backside" is just worse and shows complete disrespect for the law.

The first instance (like catching under and oversize fish) at least has the same end result that the law is after (fish released unharmed) where as the last doesn't.

not only a disrespect for the law, but a lack of respect for fishing and sport fishing! a true fisherman/woman wouldnt respond by "stick ya fine up your ..."

but agree couldve just said bugga didnt know , im really sorry was just proud blah blah blah and really the end result still should be FINE his ass!!!

Alright it sounds like WE ALL want this guy to get his a$$ handed to him in which I don't have a problem with BUT what I do have a problem with is all and yes I'm putting my red neck hat on for the next 2min but how about the fisheries get there cr@p together and start doing some thing about all the white bucket bradgaide Asian's,coconut's and even the hill billy's that live up the brisbane river and all around brisbane for that matter,BUT thanks to ANNA and her former goverment that aint going to happen until we get the resurces fisheries need.

No body has the right to take a fish and then cry fowl that they don't know the laws well guest what if you drive a car,boat you all know the law's then learn the rest we all live by you clown's

Its funny seeing everyone is getting on their high horses over one fish.

Yet no one says anything about all the illegal fishing and undersize fish taken from our local ranps n jettys.

Wheres the calls and cries than n most importantly wheres the fisheries than.

All i see this is as publicity stunt which everyone is trying to get piece in attacking one guy.

I agree that the fish should have being realised and old mate should be given warning or fine for keeping out of season fish.

But a hundred grand. You gotta be joking.

It was only 1 fish which was probaly someones pet or farm realised.

The fisheries should take this opportunity to teach people about the closed season fish.

Wow at first it's obvious what we all think of this barra fail incident, it's disappointing in the least, but now when he shows an absolute defiance for the fisheries regulations and basically all of us as keen anglers, it seems this guy is just too much. 100k a bit hard for this guy to cop I'm sure, but it's as if he's daring them to bring it on, give him what he wants, he seems to be a man that always gets what he wants :lol:

Caught a small barra at Gladstone one year during closed season. I caught it in front of a bunch of others fishing in the same spot and released it - only to be threatened that if I released another one there'd be hell to pay. Mentioned the closed season and got laughed at...

But the major can of worms...

I regularly witness illegal fishing practices - mostly at the colmslie jetty - and am not afraid to mention it to the people I see doing it who usually claim ignorance or tell me where to go and call me rude words. The fishwatch hotline is useless, taking photos identifying people is apparently illegal - what do you do?? Many members may recall an ex member catching illegal fish in breakkie ck and how hard it was to get him caught in the act.

But all the same, anyone who calls the paper for a d!ck waving session when they catch something illegal should be made an example of - the guy with the groper off bundy and the shark at noosa are classic examples, this numpty takes the cake with the 'tude though!

Yep I agree keeping a fish out of water for any length of time when it should be returned immediately as opposed to boasting that a fish caught in closed season is now in your belly is at opposite ends of the spectrum, cut at what point do you draw the line?

Rules are there for a reason and its human nature to push the boundaries with the often result that someone ends up doing something completely outside them.

The guy should be fined for doing something that was wrong and by making it worse with his reaction but $100k, that's just a bit ridiculous!

A fine like that could easily ruin someones life. People commit crimes far worse than this all the time with far less disciplinary action.

The guy should be fined for doing something that was wrong and by making it worse with his reaction but $100k, that's just a bit ridiculous!

A fine like that could easily ruin someones life. People commit crimes far worse than this all the time with far less disciplinary action.

Its very rare that a court will ever impose the maximum available fine for an offence. In compliance it's used as a threat, as in "if you don't comply you could face a fine up to $$$$$".

Offence provisions usually denote the maximum fine (in penalty units) that a court may impose.

A court will look at things on a case by case basis, look to previous precedents and apply a fine similar to previous instances.

While we operate under different legislation, I'm yet to see an instance we we've successfully had the maximum fine imposed by a court.

Yes he should be fined, but 100k is just not justified. Everybody are always quick to bad mouth the govt for revenue raising, here is a good example. He is and idiot for the way he has acted about it all..I'm almost certain that every member on this site has done something deemed to be illegal in their fishing career. Not having a go at anyone or anything but I think this has blown way out proportion. If the fisheries really did want to make a difference, then like other have said, fine the countless idiots and wbb that we all see at every local pontoon or jetty. They are the ones damaging our water ways. Not one bogan who got a big head about catching a barra.

End of the day, yes be should be punished for what he did.

Barra in Brisbane and at the Gold Coast. Marine stingers on Fraser and unconfirmed sightings around the Brisbane area, and Crocs in Maryborough.

Looks like SEQ will soon be determined as tropical waters!

The saying up north is "where there's Barra, there's crocs". Maybe it's time to keep the legs in the kayaks ;)

And I agree with the majority. Ignorance is no excuse. And his stupidity with his attitude will only work to his disadvantage and add to the fine. With that attitude one has to wonder how many other boating and fishing rules this person has ingnored or blatantly disregarded!

I wonder though with the rule on "immediate" release, just how many times fishing shows have technically broken it in the process of filming. I think that comes down to common sense. As long as the fish is handled correctly and released well then 30 secs taken to take a happy snap should not qualify you to be fined.

I wonder though with the rule on "immediate" release, just how many times fishing shows have technically broken it in the process of filming. I think that comes down to common sense. As long as the fish is handled correctly and released well then 30 secs taken to take a happy snap should not qualify you to be fined.

Every fishing comp is technically breaking the law once they have their bag and continue to target the same species. Common sense prevails there. this is a whole other discussion though.

It’s a big issue. While this guy’s reaction is relatively poor (as the paper portrays it), it’s perhaps not that surprising given the people I often meet by the water :dry: .

I fish recreationally once or twice a month, maybe 15 sessions a year if I’m lucky. I have all the gear I need and very rarely frequent tackle shops.

I’d consider myself fairly well educated in terms of what I can/can’t catch and keep within the areas I fish.

However I must confess I had no idea whatsoever that it’s currently close season for Barra, in fact I have no idea about any of the close seasons for Bass, Cod or any seasonally protected species. Yes shame on me for not knowing the dates, but at least I know there is a close season for them :).

But is it really all that surprising given I don’t fish for any of these species or that there is no obvious (I mean seriously blatantly unavoidable) information on what you can can’t keep at a given time of year.

There is a simple solution in my mind that would help condone the grief this guy is facing for keeping an out of season Barra. And that is fishing licences that come with a booklet of info. No licence no fishing, and here are all the rules and regulations… no excuses. What’s better the money for the licences goes into the funding of enforcement. So poor Joe Blogs who catches a fish of a life time Barra (from somewhere they’re not ‘normally’ associated with) has absolutely no reason for being oblivious because it’s completely unavoidable without breaking the law in the first place.

But more importantly this makes life much more difficult for the so called white bucket brigade who regularly annihilate hundreds and thousands of undersized fish every day. It’s currently far too easy to play dumb.

It really doesn’t seem that hard to me, surely it works well enough in NSW? And I do have a microscopic amount of sympathy for this guy given the furore over 1 out of season Barra. Ok he got his picture in the paper and brought it on himself to some extent.. but he is human.

Let’s face it if you had to spend $30 or even $50 a year for a licence knowing that it would massively improve the fishing practises in your area surely most people on this forum would agree it’s a good idea.

Can of worms opened, almost certainly not for the first time and definitely not the last. :P

so with that justification, it would be cool to keep barra out of the Kolan River during closed season because most likely the fish originated as stocked fingerlings in Monduran Dam?

Is that right demarc?

Tom I grew up in Bundy,in the 60`s and early 70`s pre Monduran Dam, the old man would take myself and my brothers up to the Kolan and we would camp,crab and fish a few days at a time near where the Miara camp grounds are now.

There were barra in the creeks back then, along with king and blue threadys, monster muddies and regular over 3 foot (about 90cm) flatheads.

The so called good old days,Austin A55 sedan,wood bodied home made box trailer, home made bondwood boat,British seagull outboard,floorless canvas box tent,kero lamps,wacko cane,and solid glass rods, steel rod and wire mesh crab pots.

Gee I miss the good old days. NOT!! :lol:

yer i remember those good old days very good the 50s -60s-70s were the best. my dad had a austin A40. and yep we made our bondwood boat and same seagull motor .life was so free and easy back then. you could camp any where on the beaches and it would cost nothing.ar if only we could bring those days back again ;) al we lived at fairfield and would walk down to the bris river on the sandy beaches and catch big bream and the river pearch also big mud crabs where the power boat club was on the bris coarso .or go to the rocks at the dutton park cemetry and catch school jew and muddies :woohoo: al

If I had caught it I would have taken a pic of it il be the first to admit that ad would have returned it too, a lot of people on here would have done the exact same thing too.

Cheers

Everyone on here would have taken a pic of it,including me ,lol :P:P:P

I don't think qld fisheries even know where they stand on this issue of taking pictures of fish.

I had a discussion with Tony Ham last year about this very issue surrounding the term Immediate and as far as fisheries were concerned it means as soon as possible without harm to the fish.

He also said taking photos of fish was fine as long as the fish was not harmed.

We also looked at tagging fish which has been highly promoted by fisheries for several decades now which flies in the face of the dictionary term Immediate and again that is fine with fisheries.

Now to throw the spanner in the works,a qld fisheries person posted up on Ausfish about 3 weeks ago suggesting it is illegal to take photos of regulated fish so who really knows what the truth is in this matter know.

As for the TV shows,all those bream and bass guys keeping their bag limit in a live well and then going for upgrades are breaking the law yet again fisheries turn a blind eye to it.

We all take photos of fish. I would have taken a photo of the Barra if I had caught it. People target regulated fish to take photos but you do not see everybody jumping down their throats when the take a picture. The issue for me is that the fish was kept in closed season.

I agree there should be a license in Qld - Prob $50 - $100

be honest. How many of the people that commented in this thread didnt know it was closed season unil this thread appeared.

Me for 1.

I would be in a similar boat as that guy.

I would of kept it. But i wouldnt of called media to brag.

Shiit Happens. You people are crucifying a poor bloke that didnt know any better. How about you go lynch a real criminal. One that does harm to people or property. And not someone that took a fish that could be replaced for $1.

be honest. How many of the people that commented in this thread didnt know it was closed season unil this thread appeared.

Me for 1.

I would be in a similar boat as that guy.

I would of kept it. But i wouldnt of called media to brag.

Shiit Happens. You people are crucifying a poor bloke that didnt know any better. How about you go lynch a real criminal. One that does harm to people or property. And not someone that took a fish that could be replaced for $1.

I do not agree - I think everybody on here is merely stating that he should be fined, just like the person that may be caught with an undersized grassy thinking that they only need to be 25cm. Ignorance is no excuse however the fine should be realistic.

with regard to the statement about $1 to replace a 75cm fish is not worth $1. It has survived and gained value since it was stocked or spawned. That is like my neighbour wanting to rip out my established mock orange hedge with the statement that they can be replaced for $5 down at Bunnings.

this thread has been useful and has gone a long way towards educating people.

I would be surprised if he gets a fine larger than $200 if it is his first offence.

A couple of seasons ago I headed north to fish a certain river in closed season that was chock full of escapee fish with full intent on catching myself a Barra or two or more. Was I doing the wrong thing? Yes and I knew full well that if I was caught that I could be fined, did I post it all over the forum with a huge report and pics? No I was there purely to catch and release and a few photos were taken of the first couple of fish and after that everything was released yak side. Its up to us to know the rules and to abide by them, if I go over the border for a fish and don't have a license and get caught its my own fault no one else's and this guys the same maybe a warning and a small donation to a stocking group would be a good form of fine for him

Cheers

Mark

I don't think qld fisheries even know where they stand on this issue of taking pictures of fish.

I had a discussion with Tony Ham last year about this very issue surrounding the term Immediate and as far as fisheries were concerned it means as soon as possible without harm to the fish.

He also said taking photos of fish was fine as long as the fish was not harmed.

We also looked at tagging fish which has been highly promoted by fisheries for several decades now which flies in the face of the dictionary term Immediate and again that is fine with fisheries.

Now to throw the spanner in the works,a qld fisheries person posted up on Ausfish about 3 weeks ago suggesting it is illegal to take photos of regulated fish so who really knows what the truth is in this matter know.

Yet I have it in writing from Anita Ramage that taking a photo is not an immediate3 release.

So who do you believe a written definition by an ex employee or a verbal opinion by a current( Dunno may have been given the flick by carntdo)one.?

Anyhow

post-230-144598905536_thumb.jpg

Guilty your honor and how many others of us.

I Will have to rethink my thinking.

Cheers

Ray

We all take photos of fish. I would have taken a photo of the Barra if I had caught it. People target regulated fish to take photos but you do not see everybody jumping down their throats when the take a picture. The issue for me is that the fish was kept in closed season.

I agree there should be a license in Qld - Prob $50 - $100

Yes we all take photos of fish, but please do not include me in the 'we' quote when it comes to obviously undersized or oversized or regulated fish that should be returned to the water immediately.

And yep, I knew it was closed season till midday on the 1st as I will be arriving in cardwell at 12.01pm

Archived