The Infrequent Adventures of Yewgary

Andrew_P

Yep, building rods is addictive and more expensive compared to "off the rack" rods if you use quality components,  but at least you get a rod that is tailor made to suit your particular purpose. They are also unique and you will enjoy using them more than the store bought ones. When I started building rods I used to do the fancy wraps and bindings, now I just keep it simple and subtle, (similar to your pic under the pic of the 3 parrot fish) so long as the rod works well for me then I am happy. I rarely build rods any more as I have more than enough for every occasion, or if I don't, I will sometimes buy a rack rod and may modify it if it isn't quite what I want (ie: put new and different guides on).

That multi color wrap you did (2nd from the bottom pic) would match my latest reel I bought nicely but unfortunately I don't have the time or enthusiasm to change the existing one that is on the rod at the moment 😀. Maybe if I redo the guides on it at some future time! Is it a single multi coloured thread or a one piece plastic shrink wrap?

Nice fish by the way, good feed there.

Cheers

Ed.

1 hour ago, Ed. said:

So base coat of epoxy and dabs of coloured epoxy on top while still wet?  You did a good job of it.

Just watched a couple of YouTube videos of it being done.  Not as complicated as I thought. Will have to give it a bash some time.

Cheers

Ed.

Yeah mate it’s a lot quicker than decorative wraps and fun to do!

2 hours ago, AUS-BNE-FISHO said:

Excellent work Andrew. You have been catching lots of good fish on Yewgary which is good to see. 

Any tips on rod building for dummies (me)?

Cheers Hamish

Thanks Hamish. Best tip is Youtube! There’s such a wealth of knowledge on there. Start off doing repairs and rebuilds then go from there. I’m about 20 rods in and have learnt a heck of a lot. If you are interested I am happy to show you the basics. You and Cavy are welcome to come round one weekend

• 2 weeks later...
54 minutes ago, Andrew_P said:

Nah mate all within an hour from Brisbane

That's excellent, a good location works wonders, and SEQ still turns it on. I'm a bit further away from SEQ up in Yeppoon, and its hard going up here at the best of times. Looking forward to getting back down there at Christmas and chase some pelagics in the bay and offshore GC.