Brisbane River Sessions #129, #130, #131, #132, #133, #134, #135, #136, #137, #138, #139, #140, #141, #142, #143, (#144, #145), #146, #147, #148, #149, and #150

AUS-BNE-FISHO

Holy catfish, @AUS-BNE-FISHO, how long did it take to write that report? I got halfway through and decided that I need to put together a reading plan to get through the other half over the next week or so.🤣

So good to see you boys out there doing what you love and doing it so well. You really have the river nailed now Hamish!

It's a shame we didn't get anything good when we went fishing Charlie. Next time. Glad you had fun.

18 minutes ago, Old Scaley said:

Holy catfish, @AUS-BNE-FISHO, how long did it take to write that report? I got halfway through and decided that I need to put together a reading plan to get through the other half over the next week or so.🤣

So good to see you boys out there doing what you love and doing it so well. You really have the river nailed now Hamish!

Thanks Steve, this took a couple/few hours. I racked my brain trying to remember every session. haha. 

I still need to learn a lot about lure fishing in the river, I've only caught a couple flatties so far so there's a long way to go. I plan to suss out a lot of new spots this holidays to find somewhere to put crab pots and also find a location to target jewies and squire in Winter. Hopefully I can hook up to something decent soon.

Cheers Hamish

Well, I finished it all (in 3 sittings lol). You've gotta be in it to win it, Hamish.

No idea what that hole is but there looks to be a few holes, so you never know. I couldn't make out that 3rd pic in that series - could it be a mud skipper ?

Some fun sessions and a lot of recon missions will see you being a river master in the coming years.

1 hour ago, GregOug said:

I must admit I didn’t read it all Hamish. I got tired just looking at the photos and needed a good lie down.

42 minutes ago, Jono4500 said:

Ha yeh same, I stopped reading halfway through. Good pics though n good to see your catching a few! 

Thanks guys, yes, I know it was way to long. I hope you enjoyed the sections you read/looked at.

2 minutes ago, ellicat said:

Well, I finished it all (in 3 sittings lol). You've gotta be in it to win it, Hamish.

No idea what that hole is but there looks to be a few holes, so you never know. I couldn't make out that 3rd pic in that series - could it be a mud skipper ?

Some fun sessions and a lot of recon missions will see you being a river master in the coming years.

Thanks Brian, it would’ve taken a while. I may have to come down there with the yabby pump and some gum boots one day. And try and not get to muddy.

I googled mud skippers and that’s what they are. Good to see them in the river I guess. Do you know if they can be used for bait? 

Hopefully I can start catching some more in the river too. This arvo Dad and I nailed/liquid nailed a box together which fits into the back of my bike buggy. I am going to insulate it so it will be an esky.

Cheers Hamish 

19 hours ago, kmcrosby78 said:

Have only skim-read a bit and looked at the photos but good to see you out there learning heaps Hamish. I'd suggest deleting the photo of the crab pot with the dead rat OR blurring out your address/phone number - better safe than sorry when it comes to thieves, etc. Keep up the great work 🙂.

Thanks KM, I didn't even realise that photo had the crab pot tag in it.

7 hours ago, benno573 said:

hey hamish,

fun way to spend the school holidays.

mate they won't be yabby holes.  yabbys can't live in pure mud, they need sand.  as much as it would amuse me watching you sink up to your armpits in the mud trying for non-existent yabbies - i would strongly suggest not bothering.  they will likely be a fiddler crab hole or one of the many other small mangrove crabs.

Thanks Benno. That makes sense. There's always plenty of little crabs scurrying around this jetty.

Cheers Hamish 

19 hours ago, jon said:

We’ll done Hamish and Charlie. Your youthful enthusiasm and dedication to fishing never cease to amaze.  Reminds of my times growing up on the Brisbane and Bremer river. I get stoked every time I see one of your reports and that golden threads colour pops up well done!!

Cheers Jon. It really is fun just to get out on the water with some friends and cast a line. 

Well isn't that a summer full of fishing!!!  @Old Scaley I can tell you it took a long time to write.  It seemed he was on this report for days banging away on the laptop.  We told him it would conquer most readers!  Anyway great stories for the 2021/22 summer holidays.  Given the number of bust offs and misses on the real fish I'm certainly feeling guilty about the poor netting attempt that would have at least seen another threadfin officially caught (although as I say to Hamish at least he has video footage and the fish was good as caught..)  Hopefully next summer there will be a higher conversion rate on the good ones.  On the plus side all the riding towing a buggy has done marvels for his fitness level......

1 hour ago, Drop Bear said:

So good mate well done. 

Do you sink pots at the pontoon? I reckon you could regularly get a feed of muddies if you can manage taking a couple along.

I don’t normally put pots in when I’m fishing, but it would be a good idea. I plan to try a lot more for landbased and kayak based crabs this school holidays though.

7 hours ago, AUS-BNE-FISHO said:

I don’t normally put pots in when I’m fishing, but it would be a good idea. I plan to try a lot more for landbased and kayak based crabs this school holidays though.

I saw more and more fisho are becoming crabbie these days as you can get all kinds of creatures in the pot. A friend of mine got a thready one day and stopped fishing ever since. 😄😄

27 minutes ago, ubnt said:

I saw more and more fisho are becoming crabbie these days as you can get all kinds of creatures in the pot. A friend of mine got a thready one day and stopped fishing ever since. 😄😄

Haha, that’s funny. I just do crabbing for a bit of fun to be honest, I don’t even particularly like eating them - thready or squire is much better 😂

• 3 weeks later...