Somerset Dam 16 /02

Bill74

Hi all,

Headed out to Somerset for a bit a camping, beer and sking action on the weekend. Oh, and of course i threw in a couple of rods.

It was pretty windy so we didn't bother with the skis much. Hence on Saturday morning we dug out the rods and the bucket of worms that i had also taken up and headed up to the dead tree area up in the northern part of the dam. Rigged up the rods, waited about 30 seconds and BANG!! - hooked up to a nice freshwater water catfish. they look bloody aweful, but jees they pull hard. Waited about another 1 minute, and BANG - my mate pulled himself up a nice Golden Perch. Over the next 30 minutes we pulled up one other catty and got bricked by a couple of other nice fish.

We then decided to have a troll with the deep divers, but alas nothing. We were all getting pretty hungry by that stage so we headed back to camp for some lunch and a couple of beers.

I then checked my shrimp trap after lunch and had caught one lonely but large shrimp. So i thought, well its back to the favourite snag from this morning for at least one cast. As soon as we got there I hooked up the shrimp and tossed it down the side of the dead tree. As soon as the shrimp hit the bottom i felt a gentle nibble. I waited about another 10 seconds and then it took off. A minute or 2 later we had my 1st ever Mary River Cod sitting in the environet. Boy was I jumping for joy!!!

Once i'd calmed down and released the fish it was back to the old worms which resulted in 3 more nice cattys and another few big runs and bustoffs.

Because of the bloody drought i'd almost forgotten how much fun and productive fishing in the freshwater can be. All i can say is, lads bugger the mackerel-less bay and bloody swelly seas at the moment and haul your butts out to the dams for some serious fun. The fish are on the chew and the water level at 80+% is great to see.

Bill74

:)

Made it out there today Bill. Managed my first ever yellowbelly and then scored another 10 minutes later. They went 50 and 49cm. No bass to be found but then again I wasn't looking real hard with the wind blowing a gale, mainly walked some banks throwing a spinnerbait.

Archived