Somerset part deux

Schultzy

Angus reckoned it would be safe to post a report on the rest of our morning on Somerset so.............

Now you didn’t think we were going to knock off and head home (or weaken and go bass fishing) after just a couple of hours chasing cod did you?

We worked the timber with our cod lures for a few more hours after that first fish but had no more joy. Well, we didn’t get any more strikes but I got some ripper eagle photos. See the “other lakes†gallery.

We tried a few spots as we worked our way back down the lake. Some looked promising but we couldn’t tempt any fish. I made a few passes along a nice looking piece of rocky shoreline but failed to take a hit so we just continued along a featureless grassy bank while we had a drink and bite to eat. Naturally the strike came as a bit of a shock but we quickly cleared the deck and settled into a well practiced routine. This fish did all the right things, fought cleanly and came to the surface where it lay quietly for the net shot. How lucky can one crew be? Two lovely big Somerset cod in one session. Kylie Minogue used to sing a song about us, “lucky, lucky, luckyâ€Â.

In spite of having both thumbs severely chewed by the fish and bleeding all over the tiller I was one happy skipper. I’d seen the lad land a ripper fish and managed to pick one up for myself too.

Though not quite as big as Tony’s it was still much better than a poke in the eye with a stale garfish! :silly: [img size=500]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/Sset_cod_2008_04_05_002.jpg

post-108-144598451616_thumb.jpg

Haha nice. That's the way Schultzy - nice shot there "Brisbane Fishing" I really love your photos like that :)

You're a fish magnet mate. I'm going to have to take the yak out and follow you sometime:P Better yet when are we going out off Bribie? I'm sure those Tuna I want to hook into will be on fire if you come out:P

Outstanding Neil. Are you sure you didn't just switch places for a photo? :laugh: That's phenominal. Well done mate.

Top fish to both you and Tony.

Schultzy wrote:

Lee, I got mine on a limited edition 100mm wooden Boomerang that Kevin Clark (one of the original Donwunder Lures team) made for me. It is painted yellow with brown stripes.

Nice, sounds like it should go into production ;) ;) or lend it to me so i can cast it lol :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:

Lee

pcsolutionman wrote:

Schultzy wrote:
Lee, I got mine on a limited edition 100mm wooden Boomerang that Kevin Clark (one of the original Donwunder Lures team) made for me. It is painted yellow with brown stripes.

Nice, sounds like it should go into production ;) ;) or lend it to me so i can cast it lol :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:

Lee

It is a special lure indeed. Not so much because it catches fish but because it is one of only half a dozen made. It was carved from the timber from a coral tree which is very light and gives the lures a really strong action.

I would have never used it but Clarky insists that it needs some teeth marks on it before it goes to the pool room.

TerryH wrote:

Neil are the boomerangs branded "Downunder" Wooden? I have one in my tackle box downstairs, can't remember if it was wooden or not..

I've only got one of the "Downunder" boomerangs, rest are the newer predatek branded ones.

Terry, No the Downunder Boomerangs were first made from polyethylene, they were the ones with the bubble eyes. Then they changed to injection moulding holow bodies with rattles and painted eyes, just like they are today.

The wooden Boomerangs were only made for two years, from '85 to '87. They have no brand name painted on them and are easy to pick as wooden. the body shape is slightly different on those too, more rounded. They are also very scarce due to the limited number sold as they were all hand made and hand painted.

Oh man you hurt me, that wife of yours is so lucky, if you choose to leave I have a spare bed. :laugh: :woohoo:

Just kidding of course but I have no words left to which heap upon you guys. I know perserverance (spell check please) counts for more fish but man you do it too often. There is a lesson in that for everyone and it starts with 10% of fishers catch 90% of fish. :blush:

I gotta get smarter with my fishing. ;) I gotta take mt brain from the bdget and put it on the adventure.

Congrates again.

Schultzy wrote:

Though not quite as big as Tony’s it was still much better than a poke in the eye with a stale garfish! :silly: [img size=500]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/Sset_cod_2008_04_05_002.jpg

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

There you go crediting luck again. I dont think so. :unsure:

You guys just come up with the goods too often for it to be luck.

Go The Schultz Boys! To most fishos those are fish of a lifetime, and you guys got two in a session...Bloody good effort. Appreciate all the articles you do for AFO, great to see you sharing your experience and expertise.

Keep em coming, with any luck we will put that advice into action and you will see heaps of pics of AFO cod captures in the future.

Rocket

PS. Good stuff in the BushnBeach (April p34) on lure basics, very helpful to those who are new to it (or are willing to learn more).

Rocket75 wrote:

Go The Schultz Boys! To most fishos those are fish of a lifetime, and you guys got two in a session...Bloody good effort. Appreciate all the articles you do for AFO, great to see you sharing your experience and expertise.

Keep em coming, with any luck we will put that advice into action and you will see heaps of pics of AFO cod captures in the future.

Rocket

PS. Good stuff in the BushnBeach (April p34) on lure basics, very helpful to those who are new to it (or are willing to learn more).

Rocket,

Thanks for the kind words. You'd be surprised how rarely fishing writers get feedback from readers.

I spent half a lifetime teaching youngsters to catch fish (and to respect the environment and all of nature's critters at the same time) and find it very satisfying to pass on info to others.

Something that those of us who choose to be fishing commentators should never forget is that there are new anglers taking up the sport every day. They are the ones who are starved for basic info.

Not everything we write needs to be about the latest technique or newest super expensive gadgetry.

On the cod scene. We decided to post those pics and a brief account of the trip purely to motivate others to get out there and have a shot. Very few fish are caught while sitting at home! B)

Archived