Ewen madock TOGA pb upgrade

pcsolutionman

Terry and I met at ewen at 5:30am this morning both hoping to get onto some Toga, I chucked on a purple and black ausspin spinnerbait that has been producing the goods for me recently, and Terry was chucking a strike king mini buzz bait. we headed left and worked the banks and weed edges and it didnt take long for me to get a hookup, tossed the spinnerbait in front of a weedbed let it drop down the face a couple of cranks of the handle and bam im on:woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: new it was a solid fish straight away with it peeling line off the little pixy at a fast rate before getting airborne :woohoo: :woohoo: IT was a Toga and a good one at that. Terry grabbed for his camera but for some reason the battery was flat so no action shots this time. fought him for a while me gaining line and him taking it back, you dont have a lot of pull on a big fish with 4lb lol. finally got the lip grippers in his mouth and comfort lifted him in. I new it was a new PB straight away.

gave Terry my camera to take some pics

[img size=499]http://i205.photobucket.com/albums/bb161/pcsolutionman/ewen%20madock/18-04-08/p1030090-web.jpg

I couldnt have been happier what a start to the morning. got the mat out and gave him a measure, went 77cm

[img size=499]http://i205.photobucket.com/albums/bb161/pcsolutionman/ewen%20madock/18-04-08/p1030093-web.jpg

and back he goes

[img size=499]http://i205.photobucket.com/albums/bb161/pcsolutionman/ewen%20madock/18-04-08/p1030095-web.jpg

[img size=499]http://i205.photobucket.com/albums/bb161/pcsolutionman/ewen%20madock/18-04-08/p1030096-web.jpg

The Toga absolutely mangled the spinnerbait:ohmy: it took a bit to get it straight and swimming right again lol

with our hopes high for more action we continued on our way casting at the edges along our way, about15 mins later i got a solid hookup only for the main line to break about 5 meters from the leader :blink:. I could see my braid sitting on the surface so peddled over and quickly grabbed it, dam nothing on the end:angry: but go my spinnerbait back :laugh:. It went a little quiet for a while till Terry got 2 solid strikes with one a short hookup on the buzzbait right in the middle of the weed, neither stuck. pretty sure it was a nice bass. We spotted several other Toga but couldnt entice any. on the way back I was trolling my SB when I got a good hit loaded the rod up had him on for about 10 seconds before nothing the line goes limp, bring my line in to see the main line broken again :blush: :blush: might be time for a re spool i think. we had no more action unfortunately.

What a morning there was loads of action to keep us going.

Better luck next time Terry mate, the next ones yours

Lee

Angus wrote:

:blink:

Man that first photo you can really see why they call them Dawson River Barra.

What a fish.

Angus

Thats why we would chase them most week-end when we lived out in Emerald. The Comet,Nogoa,and Mckenzie Rivers hold a large number of them aswell, also some big Yellas.

Angus wrote:

By the way Lee, was it caught on one of your customs?

Can we get a photo of your custom made rod and the one you made Terry?

Angus

Nah angus I was using a Tica Devil Stick. dont have a custom Bc for my self YET. Im just about to start on Terrys bindings tonight, got his new 08 twinpower 1000 today :):)

Lee

I still think that fish I missed was a nice bass... 50s I reckon.

After my trip to borumba and missing 20 fish or so to not having a stinger, I buy stingers and say I'll never use them without

No hits with a stinger (although I really shouldn't cmoplain, didn't use them much in the right conditions since) so I think.. hmm maybe its the stinger??

Yes, you can all imagine what I foolishly did..

I took the stinger off :blush:

Nice cast into the weeded area (not thick weed, just a nice light spray of weed, if you can picture that..?)

Now, just for the run down, with a tiny bit of practice you can realise that if you close the bail arm and start winding in just before the buzz bait hits the water, it will hit the water and strart running along the surface WITHOUT dropping below the water line (or if it does, for about a foot at most)

Anyway

Cast.. retrieve

wait a minute, it's not coming up..???? Did I somehow get weed? wooof this arch of a big bass goes across where my lure should be, but the fish remains fully under water (just pushed a heap of water up)

:o was that a fish? didn't feel anything solid ...

bring it in, have another cast...

plop, retrieve bang! yep yep I'm on! woh as soon as he hit I feel weed now...

Can't feel much, maybe its just becuase he's holding me down in weed (can feel the weed)..

nope:( Big solid hit for no hook up..

I'll say it a second time: that's the last time I choose to not use a stinger on those:(

I went yesterday to Ewen to try and get a toga as well, although I learnt a bit today from watching lee, so am confident I can bag one the next time I go :) But I'm still pretty keen to see a big strike on the buzz baits, they certainly get some action:)

Anyway... next stop: Borumba on Friday I think:)

Holy smakos Lee, wow, that's better then one of schultzy's bikini gals (nearly). Congrates doesn't seem enought to say. Reward for effort comes closer but really it's got to be something like "move over Wally there's a new king".

Come one Terry, you have given him enough of a start!:P

Yeah, Lee has put in probably another 25% more time and effort into getting a toga. I think we've both put in a rediculous amount of time, and it's paying off for lee now.

Going to borumba next friday, so...

I'll pick one up then ;) I'm not goign to drop 2 toga and 2 dozen bass like I did last time :(

Archived