NPD - Look what happens when you take kids fishing

Feral

Well, after much nagging, (after Alex had found I had snuck down to North Pine Dam yesterday morning without him), I gave in and took him down there this morning.

Alex has never doen much lure fishing, and it was with a lot of trepidation I gazed at my collection of lures, thinking of all that grass, and wondering how many I was going to kiss goodbye to.

Then I spotted the collection of $1 3/8 oz Ebay Spinnerbaits- great he can lose them I thought!. I took pity on him and put on one of my good purple skirts I got from the US for him on one of them, just to give him a chance.

Well we got to the Dam, and Alex was not impressed with the grass, and would only fish at the end of the mowed track at the point. I started with a popper, as there was lots of surface action. Alex was busy beating the grass, bank, turtles and anything else silly enough to get within range of his attempts at learning how to cast the spinner bait.

I had moved around the point a little and had just changed to my own purple spinner bait when Alex starts squealing loudly.

R0010712.jpg

He had managed to work out the casting and was looking pretty useful when he got bricked. After about a 5 minute fight with me yelling telling him to take it easy, (only 6lb mono on his reel) he gets this stonka bass to the edge, but it wraps itself around the grass about 5 foot out. Its sitting there staring at us, Alex looking at me with his big imploring eyes, so in I waded, boots and all, to bring his fish in.

R0010715.jpg

R0010717.jpg

Exactly 50cm, Alex was stoked.

Unfortunately it was the end of the el cheapo spinner bait, it was bent like a pretzel, and I had no pliers with me to straighten it. So I changed him to another Ebay spinner bait with an Orange skirt, and wandered off to let him play some more.

R0010720.jpg

Well after about 5 minutes of casting he starts whinging that he wants another purple spinner bait, the orange ones no good. So after several suggestions I cant repeat here, I gave in and I changed the skirt from the bent one to the one on his line.

R0010721.jpg

Stuff me if the little bugger doesn't get another bass first cast!

R0010722.jpg

R0010723.jpg

Then two casts later, I am watching him wind in, as he comes past the start of the grass, there is this huge pressure wave coming at his spinner bait from behind, he yells out - "I hate this grass" and pops the spinner out of the water same time as this huge bass goes for the hit, there is water, grass, fish and spinnerbait flying in all directions, no hook up. I am standing there staring with my jaw on the ground and Alex says "What"? he was so busy worrying about clearing the grass he had not even seen it!

Then he got a couple more baby ones on the same spinner bait.

R0010725.jpg

I did not get so much as a touch all morning.

Definately dark purple was the go. I didn't get a touch on my purple TT, I just dont think it was dark enough. Went home after a pretty productive hour's fishing for Alex.

Dino - that last ones caught on the 2/0 stinger!

Jords, next parking lot south of Bullocky's Down the track to the point.

Was another bloke fishing the same spot yesterday and today, he has been arriving just as I am leaving. He said he got a couple of nice Yella's there yesterday.

went sarv

not a hit

ran in2 sum fellas who got 5 or 6 jewys on bait and a yella on a spinner

they took em home 4 a feed

mum got a hook up on worms but straight in2 the weed

was fishing EXACTly where u were this morning (found the fluro orange strands of a spinner tail on teh ground :laugh: )

but yeh definetly need 2 give it a few more cracks

and think i needed a heavier spinnerbait hah

To right Angus - very Proud, not quite jealous enough to toss him in, but thought about it!

Jords the gate was unlocked at 5:30am last weekend. Mind you its not exactly a long walk if you have to park outside and climb the fence, about 10 yards!

I wont be there this weekend, got a rally on, otherwise I'd see you there!

yeh so i guess the lock them around sunset or watever

cause we fished as the sun went down and the straglers were being herded out of Bullockys so i guess there was next

wil hopefully get there sunday if not the weekend after

we definetly need some more long weekends:(

Archived