Cleaning your Tackle when you are finished...lol!

batman

Ok got your attention!

When I get home from Yak fishing I rinse everything down with fresh water but my nosey neighbours left a note on my car windscreen saying if I used the hose again they would report me...... :dry:

So I purchased the car cube (you can buy them at SuperCheap)

Basically you fill up the cube with water (like you would a bucket) and then it plugs into your ciggy lighter in the car and bingo you have a high pressure cleaner!

I rinse off the yak before it goes on the car, rinse my reels and rods and all my other accesories....it's gold!!! It uses very little water and really does work very well.

My question is more in relation to my lures and hooks. I have two tackle boxes for my yak.....one for my "bait" fishing (hooks, sinkers and jig heads) and the other for my lures. I wash both out when I get home and leave them in the sun to dry.......is this the correct thing to do? How do you keep rust off your hooks and lures?

It is a reel hassle/time consuming but I believe in looking after my tackle....how do you look after your tackle?

(I Inox my reels every third fish and wipe my rods down every now and again)

Batman

For me, I keep a compartment or two spare in my tackle boxes and any lures/jigheads that I use on that day, I put them in there. I then wash these lures when I get home in a sink of freshwater and dry them, then their good to go next trip:cheer:

However, I dropped my entire box of jigheads into the water one trip (was in the shallows so I got them all back) so I had to wash all of them when I got home. Still all good now:cheer:

Don't bother washing the tacklebox or unused lures if they don't get wet and they're still all good:) Also don't bother washing them if they were used in freshwater.

dont know how true it is

but apparently putting desicant packets (poisonous little packet thingys) or grains of rice in your tacklebox helps stop corrosion. obviously a good wash is a must i think they just soak up any moisture in the air.

other than that i just wash lures jigheads etc and spray with olive oil cooking spray ;)

batman wrote:

Ok got your attention!

When I get home from Yak fishing I rinse everything down with fresh water but my nosey neighbours left a note on my car windscreen saying if I used the hose again they would report me...... :dry:

Get in first, ring up not-worthy and say they are sprinkling after midnight.

simple one - when you buy new tackle give a light spray of WD40. you may need to do this once every 6 months or after a particularly wet trip to maintain the tackle but it won't rust, even after being submerged in salt water for extended periods. contrary to popular belief, it has no effect whatsoeevr on fish, it has little or no effect on line either, but i still don't spray line if i can help it.

I use rice in my tackle boxes and it seems to absorb any moisture, but quite often used tackle will not go back in the box. Hooks I leave in the ziplock bags till I use them and never put them back in the bag.

And why dont you offer to save on more water and shower with you neighbour.... I Do!!

I keep a couple spots in tackle box empty for any used hooks, swivels, lures, jigheads etc and give them a rinse under freshwater when home, then use these first next time, as for reels etc before I leave where I'm fishing I usually wash my reels under the taps on the cleaning tables.

Cheers,

Matt

Dan

I keep a 1 litre bucket in the boat and any time we change lures or jigheads they are dropped into the bucket.

Get back from the fishing trip and simple rinse them in fresh water then lay them out to dry in the garage.

When they are dry they are put back into the lure/jighead tackle boxes.

Never had any rust problems after doing this.

:blink: whatever it's called he'll still need to clean it the same way....

Back to topic...

I dropped my tray of assorted hooks, jigheads, swivels etc overboard Friday night. Picked it back up quickly (Faulked will know how fast haha) but it was full of salt water.

Tipped it out Saturday and replaced it with fresh water.

Sunday I emptied the fresh water out, sat down and proceeded to dry and oil it all. So far so good.

i allways clean my rods reels ect after every outing and all the other guys as well u just have to look after your gear it cost too much to replace it only takes few minutes then its good to go for your next outing :woohoo: nothing worse then hooking up and then loosing a fish:dry: , dew to not looking after your gear, just my thoughts:laugh:

faulked wrote:

they still call you the flash then eli im surprised the water got a chance to get in the box with reactions like those

I was kneeling down and had to put the esky (that it slid off) down first..otherwise I'd have got it before it hit the waterB) ....:laugh: :laugh:

Archived