Yellas on steroids

Dinodadog

Found a few nice yellas out at NPD this morning, managed to land one that went 60cm and was about 8lbs. Had another and lost it to the grass and had another half way in when it gave a big head shake and broke the s/bait clean in half. They were all cruising along the outskirts of the submerged grass. No luck with slugs this am. Did nearly step on a brown snake on the way back to the car. Had one in the water next to me at Wivenhoe the other day, SO EYES OPEN at the moment they are starting to sun themselves. This is the 1st snake I have seen while walking the shores of NPD for 10years.

Fish while you can

Dinodog

a week late [img size=448]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/snake_002.JPG

post-1453-144598471124_thumb.jpg

Dinodadog wrote:

Whatnow yellas should be starting to stir now

Thanks Dazza,Kriso,Matt and Ray

Rocket I nearly trod on it, made the hair on the back of the neck stand up

Terry you are just trying to scare me away ha ha

Jimmy I agree

If you want to go to "tarpon lake" (and know where it is) by all means, go :D

I think I'll let lee go in barefoot first to chase the snakes away

Hi Dino, I work at the Queensland Museum - I asked one of the herpetologists here if they could id the snake in you photo: its an Eastern Brown - very dangerous snake. Here are some details if you or anyone else is interested:

Venom: strongly neurotoxic and haemotoxic; the second most toxic land snake venom known.

Notes: potentially dangerous; apply first aid and seek urgent medical attention for all suspected bites; responsible for many human deaths. pugnacious; rears up in distinctive "S" shape and strikes repeatedly, if provoked.

I've spoken with some experienced snake handlers in the past who hate these snakes - they told me that the Eastern Brown will aggressively attack as opposed to other dangerous snakes that will attack as a form of defense and move away when given a chance.

All-in-all you had a big day that day - caught a huge fish and stayed alive to tell the story - well done.

We've come across a few out there. Precautions should be taken by anyone who wants to trudge through the grass out there. I carry two large compression bandages in my back pack and wear leather boots. My little bloke wears his soccer shin pads as well as leather boots. The first big one we came across just layed in the middle of the track and wouldn't move. We had to walk right around it. I actually stood on the second one I saw...not recommended.It was only a little brown but would have still ruined my day if it grabbed me. Always watch the ground if your out there and learn snake bite first aid.( might save your life one day )

I grew up fishing out west and have a very healthy respect for snakes...as I say to my boy " Don't play, walk away "

They're scary creatures for sure...the one that really worries me is the fierce snake or Western Taipan, Thank god there's none of them at North Pine Dam, the browns are scary enough.

Archived