Vent your anger!

rotciv

I dont know if there's already a thread like this or not, too many pages to search through.

anyways, this is a thread where you can just vent your anger while fishing. i'll kick start it.

As a landbased fisho, i encounter a lot idiots. Most recent experience is when i was fishing at the coast canals, 2 ladies walked up to us, one of them holding a bottle of grog. They asked "Are you fishing? Is fishing even allowed? I hate people who fish, I'm against taking the fish from their natural habitat".

another, when i go fully prepared to catch something big, i dont even get a good run. then when i go with just bream gear, i get busted off countless of times.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think i'm gonna like this thread. Not long ago down at deepwater bend i was fishing my usual spot and two guys on jetski's come up and commence what I can only describe as some sort of rich kid water mating dance that involves two jetski's going continuously around in circles directly over where i have my line!!! Its such a massive river but apparently right there is the spot to do it. I don't say anything, i bite my tongue. However I then proceed to get onto a massive bream (41cm and my pb) and as i'm pulling it in these morons actually start trying to go over my line!!!! at this point i start yelling abuse but get no response. Long story short, I got the bream in, these losers have a laugh and promptly p!ss off (probably to make sweet love in some nearby mangrove's). I just don't see the need for that sort of stuff, it's like me trying to cast at them.

I find it odd that theres a whole river/channel/broadwater to ski and make a pest of themselves but these oxygenthieves have to blast around and around right infront of the boatramp while people struggle to get their boats on or off trailers.

Maybe I'm getting grumpier as I age.:angry:

tomca wrote:

I find it odd that theres a whole river/channel/broadwater to ski and make a pest of themselves but these oxygenthieves have to blast around and around right infront of the boatramp while people struggle to get their boats on or off trailers.

When I win lotto and retire i am going to buy one of those wake boats, and spend my retirement doing figure of eights 31m off the end of ski boat ramps....

Feral wrote:

tomca wrote:

When I win lotto and retire i am going to buy one of those wake boats, and spend my retirement doing figure of eights 31m off the end of ski boat ramps....

sheer genius ferral i love it:laugh:

Great idea,

I was recently fishing from the beach at Flinders on Straddie when in all of the water availiable a jetski stormtrooper decided to race by 35 m from the beach. He was actually so close that while racing past he picked up my line. My shouting was greeted with a bemused look and in the process I had to do everthing possible not to loose my rod which was on a stand.

The short of it all I lost about 200m of line and my trace.

I believe in giving everybody their place in the sun but idiots like this *&^%##@@

To all the teams fishing the river this weekend enjoy and hope the fish play along.

Shrimpo wrote:

People who pull up on the ramp and spend 10mins preparing blocking the ramp. People who fish off pontoons but then show no sign of moving when a boat comes in (not against fishing on pontoons but if its at a boat ramp and a boat wants to use it, pull your line in)

this is my number one...vicky point has to be the worts for this followed closely by m'bar

Shrimpo wrote:

People who pull up on the ramp and spend 10mins preparing blocking the ramp. People who fish off pontoons but then show no sign of moving when a boat comes in (not against fishing on pontoons but if its at a boat ramp and a boat wants to use it, pull your line in)

Here was me venting about 18 months ago on just that issue.

Copied and pasted from another thread.

Thought after watching a mustang being loaded onto a trailer towed by a red commodore yesterday at Jacobs Well that its about time to have my 2 bobs worth about ramp etiquette and pratices.

So here they are... Booty's top 5

1) People who park anywhere but in a marked bay to prep or 'de'prep their boat. There are masses of parking spaces, use them and keep the centre passage and ramp free for those who are using it.

2) People who come back from a day out on the water and beach their boat right next to the ramp forcing those further along to walk their boat out and around to get to the trailer. Park out near the edges and hopefully all shuffle down in turn.

3) People who strap all the kids into the car before launching and retrieving the boat. Please, unbuckle and clear all the kids from the car prior. Park them on the bench, buy them an icecream or something, I know its a 'safe place' for them but for goodness sake dont leave them in the car when on the ramp just incase something untoward happens...cause it does!

5) People who approach the ramps at 30knts and back off at the last second. Its like they need to make sure the motor 'goes hard' just before they shut it off so that its peace of mind for next time. Other people are retrieving their boats at the same time. Have a bit of thought for them and how p1ssed off you would be if they did it forcing the bow of your boat off the roller and slamming it down on the trailer.

Where is 4).... Well I couldnt think of enough. But I am sure others have plenty more to add!

So take a bit of stock, have you ever done any or all of the above. Could you do things better and thus make everyones day on the water more enjoyable?

Do it regularly, that's what bilge pumps are for ;)

Other thing that annoys me is people who obviously watch someone struggle , (be its because they are a newbie, or bad weather or they just made a mistake) and dont lend a hand, or worse yell abuse. It doesn't help get the problem sorted and the ramp cleared does it?

Br 65 made some comments on Best Practice thread one of which was.

"Respect your fellow anglers on the water. Slow down when you pass some one else, keep as far away as you can from some one fishing a bank, point or other structure. They have probably slipped in under elec power, nice and quiet, the last thing they want is a noisey tinny bashing and clanging away close by."

Pity a lot of people who were fishing the ABT couldn't observe the part about keeping away from other fishos. Twice on Saturday we had spent 15 minutes using the leccy setting up a course along a weedbed near an island only to have skeeters roar past between us and the island in only 5 ft of water.

Probably would have saved them 20 seconds at the speed they travel.

Others were very good two that come to mind are the local resident guide and tweed river marines boat. Both of them slowed down and kept their distance.

You can partly forgive the amateurs in their tinneys etc but these guys should know better and I bet they would give you a gobfull if you did it to them.

Fishing on a pontoon or jetty and another fisho comes along and proceeds to cast across where I am already fishing when there is plenty of water for everyone....

Going to Kmart the day after the 30% off rods and combos sale has finished or worse, buying a rod the day before the 30% sale starts!! Queuing up at Kmart till for ages, walk out of the shop, then realise you forgot the shark sinkers and having to queue again.....Deciding to go a special spot quite a way from the car with all yer tackle, setting up, rolling a fag, then realising the lighter is still in the car......Turning up at an open air spot and forgetting yer hat.....Rigging a complicated rig then losing it all on a rock-to-pus first cast......Watching eagles and egrets and kingfishers catching fish when I don't even get a bite......Going in BCF and ending up with tackle-itis. IE walking out with a bunch of gear you didn't really need and not getting what you really needed cos you were blinded by all the bling......Trying desperately to do that final cast before going home and always arriving late "I just had to do a final cast, honest, Darling, I was onto something big"

going freshwater fishing and misplacing my big salt water lure box, somewhere in the garage/mates boot.. forgetting to buy more in airlie beach, then spending a week around the whitsunday islands with nitris watching big schools of tuna and huge scad-mackerel smash bait, and having only 1 metal slug between us.. then recieving an sms from mate saying "found your tacklebox"... we all caught tuna tho :D and first big assed scad mackerel.. strange fish but great fun

Using a very expensive Japanes bass lure. Going for a big cast using fairly light line. Half way through said big cast, the bail arm clicks shut....the line travels out just a few feet and stops with a jolt.

Very beautiful expensive lure goes sailing across the water no longer attached to the line to land with a little plop way out deep.

I'm still feeling the pain.

How about nearly running over a kayaker at 11:20pm on a recent dark night, half-way between Cleveland Point and Peel Is.

Missed him by 20 metres.Lucky we were only doing 25knts

Turned around to see what the yell was and found him....no lights at all........ abusing us for not watching where we were going. Told him I had running lights and he didnt.

Was further abused and told "He didnt need lights"!

Apart from nearly shi%%ing myself at thought I could have killed him, I think a light or two on his "yak" probably wouldnt have hurt.

MoparKevUk wrote:

Fishing on a pontoon or jetty and another fisho comes along and proceeds to cast across where I am already fishing when there is plenty of water for everyone....

Going to Kmart the day after the 30% off rods and combos sale has finished or worse, buying a rod the day before the 30% sale starts!! Queuing up at Kmart till for ages, walk out of the shop, then realise you forgot the shark sinkers and having to queue again.....Deciding to go a special spot quite a way from the car with all yer tackle, setting up, rolling a fag, then realising the lighter is still in the car......Turning up at an open air spot and forgetting yer hat.....Rigging a complicated rig then losing it all on a rock-to-pus first cast......Watching eagles and egrets and kingfishers catching fish when I don't even get a bite......Going in BCF and ending up with tackle-itis. IE walking out with a bunch of gear you didn't really need and not getting what you really needed cos you were blinded by all the bling......Trying desperately to do that final cast before going home and always arriving late "I just had to do a final cast, honest, Darling, I was onto something big"

So it is true what they say about whinging bloody Poms!!

Only kidding champ, my family is originally from the East coast at Norfolk.

rayke1938 wrote:

Br 65 made some comments on Best Practice thread one of which was.

"Respect your fellow anglers on the water. Slow down when you pass some one else, keep as far away as you can from some one fishing a bank, point or other structure. They have probably slipped in under elec power, nice and quiet, the last thing they want is a noisey tinny bashing and clanging away close by."

Pity a lot of people who were fishing the ABT couldn't observe the part about keeping away from other fishos. Twice on Saturday we had spent 15 minutes using the leccy setting up a course along a weedbed near an island only to have skeeters roar past between us and the island in only 5 ft of water.

Probably would have saved them 20 seconds at the speed they travel.

Others were very good two that come to mind are the local resident guide and tweed river marines boat. Both of them slowed down and kept their distance.

You can partly forgive the amateurs in their tinneys etc but these guys should know better and I bet they would give you a gobfull if you did it to them.

That is a common case of lack of respect mate, and yes, they should know better. Those particular people are either to stupid, or to arrogant, to worry about what another fisho has carefully put in place. In saying that, please dont tar all ABT fishos with the same brush. (no, I dont fish ABT, but know blokes who do, and they practice what they preach re courtesy on the water)

You cant control the clowns, all you can do is try to do the best you can yourself.....

• 2 weeks later...

Archived