fingerlings/ tagged barra for river comp?

Tiny Tin

how much does it cost for a thousand fingerlings (barra). and if you can get em is it allowable to stock em into the brissy river? seeing the size of the one caught recently you'd have to think they would have some good odds on surviving? would it be good idea to release one big tagged barra as an extra prize in the brissy river classic they always grab fishos attention. and if not caught on the day..maybe a long time later.. a bit of info might be unearthed? some events i've travelled to used tagged flathead. one flathead was caught on the first day of a comp..and caught again the next day. apparently some fish stop feeding for up to five days once they've been caught..or that's what the marine volunteer at the bundy comp was telling me. :) hmm i can see fishos catching 1m plus barra from dams and letting them go in the brissy river..lol..yep they'll be heaps of barra in the river soon. at 1m long they have to be released..there ya go releasing breeders into the river lol.. :):P

yea sometimes i just wish i had the balls to go scuba diving in the river and see what i can find, not that you could really see 1m infront of you anyway lol. i have no idea if its allowed or not though, whether dpi would see it as a non-indigenous species to the waterway or not i guess is the issue?

nadders wrote:

yea sometimes i just wish i had the balls to go scuba diving in the river and see what i can find, not that you could really see 1m infront of you anyway lol. i have no idea if its allowed or not though, whether dpi would see it as a non-indigenous species to the waterway or not i guess is the issue?

not sure about the dpi thing. isn't there instances of barra being caught before? i thought they were native to the river many years ago? maybe that's just ol fisho stories but :huh: what does that do for threadies then? or are they native to the river? big lack of knowledge on my part me thinks. :P

You can only buy them for private dams, and only in what the DPI consider their natural range. Which is not here. Cost varies depending on amount and size.

For an order as small as 1000, expect to pay about $1.50 per fish for 5cm, $2.50 for 10cm. 10cm much better survival rate, but 5cm are ok.

Tiny Tin wrote:

how much does it cost for a thousand fingerlings (barra). and if you can get em is it allowable to stock em into the brissy river? seeing the size of the one caught recently you'd have to think they would have some good odds on surviving? would it be good idea to release one big tagged barra as an extra prize in the brissy river classic they always grab fishos attention. and if not caught on the day..maybe a long time later.. a bit of info might be unearthed? some events i've travelled to used tagged flathead. one flathead was caught on the first day of a comp..and caught again the next day. apparently some fish stop feeding for up to five days once they've been caught..or that's what the marine volunteer at the bundy comp was telling me. :) hmm i can see fishos catching 1m plus barra from dams and letting them go in the brissy river..lol..yep they'll be heaps of barra in the river soon. at 1m long they have to be released..there ya go releasing breeders into the river lol.. :):P

Totally against the law,get caught and face huge fines

If you are certain the river can handle another new topline predator on top pf the newly established threadfin then it might be a good idea. I just wonder what all of the other species are going to eat competing against them especially with the huge drops in bait that seems to have occurred in recent times. Years ago some people thought it would be a good idea to release cane toads and rabbits as well :huh:

Brian D wrote:

elops wrote:
nadders wrote:
waldo wrote:
especially with the huge drops in bait that seems to have occurred in recent times.

ummm? theres heaps of bait around lol

I will second that mate !

Lots of prawns to.

Regs Steve

Tha barra eat catfish

well there ya go..if barra eat catfish they sound like an investment lol. i know what sort of pest i'd prefer. i reckon someone has already beaten me to the punch by the look of kevs fish. that hasn't seen the inside of a tank for a while i'd reckon. the there was the one caught up at bribie a year or two ago? how can ya compare a toad to a barra? ya can't do anything with a toad..you can eat barra..have a bit of fun catching em on ya doorstep rather than travelling miles. i wonder what he DPI will do if/when barra turn up of their of volition? start sending em back up north..lol. funny how the gov sets up an organisation and they're the gospel. bit like the epa for me. one minute they're saying you can't dredge bribie passage coz the silt will screw up the sea grass (which wasn't there before the coral/coffee rock got silted up btw). but when a desal' plant was going in they said..'you can't stand in the way of progress'! anyway it's a mute point..i don't know any fish farms with barra? lol :)

Tiny Tin wrote:

Brian D wrote:
elops wrote:
nadders wrote:
waldo wrote:
especially with the huge drops in bait that seems to have occurred in recent times.

ummm? theres heaps of bait around lol

I will second that mate !

Lots of prawns to.

Regs Steve

Tha barra eat catfish

well there ya go..if barra eat catfish they sound like an investment lol. i know what sort of pest i'd prefer. i reckon someone has already beaten me to the punch by the look of kevs fish. that hasn't seen the inside of a tank for a while i'd reckon. the there was the one caught up at bribie a year or two ago? how can ya compare a toad to a barra? ya can't do anything with a toad..you can eat barra..have a bit of fun catching em on ya doorstep rather than travelling miles. i wonder what he DPI will do if/when barra turn up of their of volition? start sending em back up north..lol. funny how the gov sets up an organisation and they're the gospel. bit like the epa for me. one minute they're saying you can't dredge bribie passage coz the silt will screw up the sea grass (which wasn't there before the coral/coffee rock got silted up btw). but when a desal' plant was going in they said..'you can't stand in the way of progress'! anyway it's a mute point..i don't know any fish farms with barra? lol :)

Well you guys must be seeing something that I am missing as the last ten years I've seen falls in a ton of bait species. Gar, winter whiting, squid, hardiheads, mullet, prawns, slimeys even blue jellies are nowhere near the numbers they were in the 90's and 80's. Maybe you are looking at the river in isolation off alow base? I also have people argue that the bigger snapper just aren't coming from the bay anymore, to which they ppoint to their HUGE 50cm to 5 kg fish :laugh:

i reckon no .

when animals are introduced it stuffs things up.

let thing happen the natural way it better .

once species becomes another becomes more dominant and so on it cycles around .

if its stocking a type that all ready there but in low numbers ,that ok.

that's just upping the numbers and helping out to cover what we catch and kill and eat etc.

one of the problems with the human race it we always have to stuff with things .

instead of letting nature and cycles etc take the course .

Davo, a mate of mine who is a bit of an amateur historian reckons barra were often reported in the Brisbane river until the late 1800's. Have not seen the references myself, but I have no reason to disbelieve him.Apparently the river was fresh down to near pinkeba, with sand banks mostly holding out the salt water, rain forest everywhere. It was gravel bottomed and crystal clear. (That bit I find hard to believe!)

u know i would believe most of that too.

i have read stuff for when the first came over ,saying that it was all thick bush semi rain forest,and a clear water and sand gravel bottom.

a lot of the upper river is a lot of gravel still ,just all silted up .

they dredged /mined gravel form the river .

see we came over went for a paddle up the river ,then thought hey lets stuff with it so we can get ships in .

imagine see the river 200 years ago .wouldn't that be a mind blow out.

Archived