Help me help Lake Kurwongbah

Angus

Ok team.

I have been approached by a group of well minded fishermen and have been asked for support.

These guys basically want to turn Lake K (as i shall call it from now on) into a sustainable recreational fishery.

We can help in two way:

1. Organise an event to put intense preasure on the Tilapia Population over the course of one or more days. We could even do this twice. By removing as many in one hit as possible we would be giving native fingerlings a much better fishing chance. The group proposes to put into the dam commencing in November the following fish.

120000 Bass

20000 Yellow Belly

2000 Mary River Cod,

200 Saratoga

500 Gar

2. The Govt has offered to match whatever can raised to aid this stocking. Thus if we could get say 50 blokes along for a Tilapia Bash, and charge around $30 per head we could raise personally $1500 for stocking and a further $1500 from the Govt. Nt to bad for a days fishing. Further more with our membership growing id like to think we could get more than 50 there. Prizes would not be huge as its would be strictly non profit. However we would be doing a good deed. Id still try and organise maybe a kayak or something as an overall prize.

Anyway from this post i am just looking for a show of support for this idea? The more concrete evidence i have for numbers and commitment the more i can help these blokes.

Cheers.

Angus

Robski: No mate sorry. Dont quite understand why. Possibly the fear of irriponsible people moving them around.

Anyway special permission needs to gained which for this even we would of course be getting.

Thanks for the support!

Angus

Sounds like a great idea!!!

Assuming I have nothing on, COUNT ME IN!!! Nothing better than getting out and depleting a pest species population to make way for some awesome natives! Imagine what the fishing could be like there if these fingerlings could establish some large populations in the lake.

Good work on getting us involved Angus and even better of you to provide a prize. Hopefully it will result in a big turnout.

-nelson-

If we can get enough people there we should be able to make a dent on the tilapia population. It would probably be a good idea to hold regular fishing sessions there to keep the population down until the natives have established and reached a good size.

Make a day of it, organise a BBQ and make it a big meet and greet with a beneficial purpose. Could even advertise elsewhere if we want really big numbers and by doing so could advertise AFO. Just some ideas...

-nelson-

Petrie Lions club had a kids comp there a few months ago, over 1000 Tilapia into the wheelie bins. They put on a very good day. 200 kids.

I am planning on going along to the Pine stocking association's next stocking meeting, looking at lending a hand on the Kurwongbah stocking group (an offshoot of the Pine one)

I'll come along, but all I caught last time was turtles!

I will be in if i can satisfy 2 things... I work sunday to thursday so if it is a weekend a saturday would be best as it is a new job and dont like my chances of getting a sunday off...The other, my car is on its way out and dont think i would make it too NP. If anyone on the south side could give me a lift i would defiently be in!!!!!!!!!!!:woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:

Whoops! i didnt see this post till after i posted my restock fun raiser idea! Sorry!:blush:

Although maybe this would could be that fun raiser idea situation. I'm sure we can add a few dollars to the kitty with the bbq and drinks idea. Count me in. Im still willing to supply snags and such!

Again sorry, should have looked through posts first!:blush: :blush:

Thanks guys,

Ill draft up this letter of support and add our commitment.

with Maybe some additions such as a raffle, bbq etc id say we could do some serious good.

Thanks for the email Andrew, i might contact them even if only for a bit of organisational advice.

Angus

Angus,this may sound abit silly but with hundreds of tillies that will be takin and killed maybe we could get someone or a company that makes cat food or fertilizer or something like that to supply a large bin for the disposal of these pest and for a small donation to the stocking program they can have what ever is caught.....

Just an idea............

Dazza: I agree with the merit in your idea. However ill have to sort out the legality of it. I know its makes perfect sense. However with all the red tape and stuff that sometimes comes with this sort of endevour it might be possible. Im pretty sure its full stop illegal to transport Tilapia in any shape way or form. Ill try and find a way around, but obviously its not my final call.

Angus

the councils would and should provide bins

however the fact is they wouldnt want any companies profiting of of tilapia throught the use of them commercially for food human or animal best bet is to keep some for youreslf throw the rest in bin

• 2 months later...

Long story short.

The potential organisor who asked for our vocal support to gain council interest never took it further, although the desired interest was gained. We could take it further in the future as strictly a AFO event. However quite frankly i have not had time to look into it further. Plus im not to keen until its summer and potentially more productive for Tilapia anyway.

Leave it with me and i promise ill try and put something together for the summer.

Cool?

Angus

Archived