Father & Son Day Ruined by Revenue Raising

Devster

Father and son fishing trip ruined by Revenue Raising

It's been a while since I have had a post, but I needed to share this experience, even it is a way for me to let off some steam.

On Saturday I had arranged with a mate for us to go fishing out at the mouth of the Caboolture river as the Winter Whiting seem to be in good numbers and in good size. He was going to take his daughter(10)in his tinnie and I would take my eldest son (7) in mine.

We headed out for what was looking to be a glorious day, an anglers dream. Not a cloud in the sky, not a breath of wind in the air and the water was like a millpond. We arrived at our fishing spot and started to fish using, Berkly sand worms. The worm you use when you're not using a worm. :P

It wasn't long before my son had landed his first fish, a good size Winter Whiting. With a grin from ear to ear he said I'm beating you daddy. :woohoo: Anyway 10 minutes on and my son had 4 in the bucket and I hadn't even had a bite.

After a few hours and about 50 good sized Whiting, a nice flattie and a sole between the two boats my mate spotted the water police. He shouted out to me I hope you've got all your safety gear. With my son firmly in his life jacket, a heap of buckets, life jackets etc I confidently said no worries.

We watched as the police, slowly made their way to our 2 boats. There was even a boat that tried to do a runner but they dropped what they were doing and pursued them. This was my first indication that they were serious, and I started to get a bit nervous.

I eagerly tried to listen as they spoke to my mate first, but I was just a little too far to hear the conversation. When they had finished with him they made their way to me and politely greeted me. He told me they were doing a safety inspection and commended me on having my son in a life jacket.

He then asked if I had flares and a V-sheet. I said, dude I'm not 2 mile out to sea, I'm just past the mouth of the river. He said that "because this is 'a Bay', that once you go past half a norticle mile out from land, it's classed as 'Partially Smooth' water which by law requires you to have flares and a v-sheet. So I'm going to have to issue you with an infringement notice."

I was gobsmacked, :ohmy: a $200 fine for a legal technicality, which I later learned they used to fine every boat in the area. He said he had booked over 20 people throughout the morning, including my mate, who is a safety nut when it comes to boating.

No warning, no you had better get back into the river, or I'm taking down your details so if I catch you out here again we'll fine you. Just bam, that'll be $200 thanks! If that is not revenue raising I don't know what is! He also had a go at me about my nav lights not being parallel to the centre line of my boat and also because I didn't have a white light on board. I said, dude, it's day time, why are you hassling me about my lights.

After receiving the expensive piece of paper, he appologised for ruining my trip but ordered me to go back into the river. By the time he got to us there was hardly a boat left out fishing as they had fined them all.

As we were heading back I had to explain to my son why we were heading back and why I probably won't be able to take him back there for some time. Talk about your father son day being ruined by revenue raising. :angry:

ellicat wrote:

Ah forget the fine. Focus on how good a day it was fishing with the young fella. You can get a fine anytime, but the young bloke wont be the same age ever again. (Unless he gets dementia like me :blush: :laugh: )

yeh yeh the young bloke will stoked about those whiting

I think it's important to understand that just because 99.5% of the time you're not gonna need lights and/or safety gear, doesn't mean you shouldn't have the gear fitted properly. Yeah you're not out during the night, but what if something doesn't go according to plan and you get stuck out longer and further out than you expected? It happens. And you weren't far from shore, but what if you got blown out to sea? And I'd hazard to guess that on occasion you might have ventured a bit further out with that same lack of gear anyway, and just not got caught....?

Sounds like they could have slapped you with a couple more fines too, but decided against raising too much 'revenue' and cut you some slack, so it couldn't have been all about the money making.

I think part of the reason these guys tend not to give warnings is that they figure you've been doing the wrong thing on many occasions up until now and just not got caught yet, so they figure you deserve a fine. That and they probably don't patrol the area often enough to check up on the blokes they give warnings to.

-Steve.

I get your frustration, obviousley you wouldn't endanger your sons life by heading out without safety gear... But that is the law, and it is pretty easy information to find as I checked when I first got my boat.

I hope those whiting tasted just as good, even after the fine

I agree its not nice to get kicked in the back pocket but you do not expect to get a pat on the back and be told don't do it again if you get caught going through a red light etc.

I know that a few years ago it used to be the norm that you got a warning but I think that everyone used to ignore the warnings and didn't change their habits hence the current hard line approach.

Another favorite area that they check is the compass adjustment buoy area.

Cheers

Ray

on this page is the maps for smooth waters .

/>http://www.msq.qld.gov.au/Waterways/Smooth-and-partially-smooth-water-limits/Swl-brisbane.aspx t

i look at the maps i find the it easier to understand than the description .

when i went in the MBC i had a good look at these as i don't have flares or a v sheet ,and i didn't want to push my luck or risk it .

Sounds like you had a good morning fishing, with 50 whiting ! nice....

200 deniros is a hefty fine, maybe turn it into a positive life/learning experience for your son and explain to him the reason it pays to be up on all the regulations and even take him with you to the shop to get your v sheet, flares and a white light.

This could actually be a very positive leanring experience for your son if you go about it the right way....

And don't forget to check the expiry date on your flares before heading out. If you don't check it the WP will.

I keep my flares in a waterproof plastic container and I write the expiry date on the container with a marker pen, so I see it each time I hose the boat out. If I don't have a visual reminder I'll forget for sure.

tangles wrote:

And don't forget to check the expiry date on your flares before heading out. If you don't check it the WP will.

I keep my flares in a waterproof plastic container and I write the expiry date on the container with a marker pen, so I see it each time I hose the boat out. If I don't have a visual reminder I'll forget for sure.

Aside from the huge bucket of whiting and your sons grin from ear to ear, this is the other best bit of news/advice on this thread. I have mine in a small elcheapo tackle box with the expiry also written on the lid.

And just on the navigation light issue. Have a quick look at this publication by Maritime Safety QLD and see if you can spot the anomoly that a lot of people are apparently being spoken to about.

/>http://www.msq.qld.gov.au/~/media/msqfiles/home/safety/navigation-lights/pdf_nmsc_brochure_tips_installing_nav_lights.pdf

The boys and girls in blue are certainly about. I've been pulled over 6 times in the last 4 months.... just wish I could claim "frequent searched points" from them as I think they have my rego on speed dial.

It's just safer and easier to have everything you need on board in case you do head out further and they really don't take too much room. That way you are covered as they are doing their job and stopping the fools that really do put themselves and others at risk.

Well obviously not everyone knows, as they said they had booked every single boat in the area, which he said was over 20. Chances are If I did have a V sheet and flares he would have tried to get me on something else. It just annoys me when they say they are looking out for our safety, when they are clearly looking to find something so they can book everyone!

Just for the records if your in a smaller boat with smooth water safety gear don't attempt to go to Mud Island via the brizzy river there is a small stretch that is partially smooth before you get there and is constantly patrolled ;)

another one to watch if you have inflatable life jackets make sure you have proof of purchase dates or test dates I was lucky and had conventional jackets on board as well ;)

Cheers Gaz

Devster wrote:

"He then asked if I had flares and a V-sheet. I said, dude I'm not 2 mile out to sea, I'm just past the mouth of the river. He said that "because this is 'a Bay', that once you go past half a norticle mile out from land, it's classed as 'Partially Smooth' water which by law requires you to have flares and a v-sheet. So I'm going to have to issue you with an infringement notice."

I might be wrong, but I think the 2 mile limit is for epirbs not flares?

For people who only go into partially smooth waters once a year or so and who don't have flares and don't want to outlay money for the occasional trip- maybe ask on the forum and someone might lend them for a day in exchange for a few whiting or a six pack?

good topic, i dont believe they were revenue raising but teaching you a hard lesson about being safe on the water, iv only been boating every weekend for 3 years and have seen alot of tossers doing the wrong thing and not giving a stuff about anyone else, i personally think theyre should be more water police out there to get some anglers to pull there socks up and think smart, you seem like a decent sort of a bloke who was just having a good day but unfortunately 'assumed' or thought that particualar rule applied about 2 miles blah blah but in the end it is the skippers responsibility to uphold all responsibility for those on board, other anglers and them self, day i bought my boat i enquired about every single piece of safety equipment that i needed and to this day this equipment has never left my boat and iv had numerous police check my boat and is good every time, personally of my experience the biggest problem iv encountered is peoples lack of knowledge or ignorence when it comes to boating in general and BOAT LIGHTING FOR F#$@S SAKE, id love a dollar for everytime iv heard but not seen a boat fly past me at night or nearly driven into a boat, bloody to many bozos out on the water thats why i try to isolate myself to other fishing spots

Archived