Pin Flathead Mission - 5th August 2007

Angus

I am keen as to get a crack at those big flatties, but I am one of those who will be boatless. (my 10 foot tinny with 6hp would struggle and I don't intend to swim home!:unsure: )

So if I could add myself to the list of hopeful deckies, perhaps closer to the time I might snag a ride. Happy to pay fuel or provide some lures etc. I will keep an eye on the thread with fingers crossed.

Hope to see you there.

Rod

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey Rocket,

The boat hire that used to be at Jacobs Well used to hire boats with a 6hp on the back and they would have been 12-13 footers.

I hired 'em a few times without a problem and would go up to Kalinga Bank in them. (That's as far as you can go before hitting the Jumpinpin Bar)

As long as it's not too windy you could probably do the same in yours. If it is windy there's plenty of shelter to be had. Also there'll be plenty of help around from AFO members if need be, as well as the five million other boats that frequent the area. Just bring your phone and get some numbers off the rest of us.

Give it some thought anyway.

Cheers

Elli and Sards, thanks for the feedback. I have only recently bought the little tacker and the motor is in the shop, so I don't know if it will be in working order for the Pin trip. I'll probably take it for a few trials a bit closer to home if the motor makes it back in time, but probably won't take it to the Pin.

But I hope to see you there;)

Rocket75 wrote:

Elli and Sards, thanks for the feedback. I have only recently bought the little tacker and the motor is in the shop, so I don't know if it will be in working order for the Pin trip. I'll probably take it for a few trials a bit closer to home if the motor makes it back in time, but probably won't take it to the Pin.

But I hope to see you there;)

Hey Rocket - we'll get you on board somewhere, that's for sure. But here's a thought. Would not this day be a good day to test the little tacker out? I mean if something goes wrong we are right there with a tow! Just a thought!

I am still in and have a deckie organised from work. Also may have another boat from work heading out with us aswell. So look out Sards, strength in numbers!!

Rocket Rod - I agree, what better day to get your boat on the water and test her out. Will be plenty of others around to give you help if you need.

Guys i think there are still at least 2 people looking for a ride.

It should be quite as AFO armada out there!

Maybe closer to the date if no more seats pop up those still looking would consider splitting the cost of a hire boat?

Angus

Lozzel wrote:

I'll know closer to the date if I can make it.

If I am going \"Rocket Rod\" can have a seat in mine, as I wont have a deckie.

Will send you a PM closer to date.

Swap you Rocket, you take my boat and I'll deckie with Lozzel. :woohoo: I could do woth a day off lazing in the sun.;)B)

Brian, I think that perhaps I would make a better deckhand than skipper!

Besides, from what I have seen in recent posts the deckie always catches more anyway:laugh:

PS I don't have a licence anyway, one of the reasons a bought a 10ft with a 6hp;)

Hope to see you there.

Ahhhh nope, we'll end up putting a lure in the back of your head and your bigger then me! Too cold to go swimming. :woohoo: :pinch:

Besides we forgot Johnny the website deckie!. Seeing he owns the site it might be a good idea for me to give him a ride.:whistle:

Can I charge him extra Karma?:woohoo: :lol:

Tell me if I am wrong but I thought Feral said that as long as there is a licenced person in the boat the driver doesn't need a licence? Can anyone copnfirm?

There is actually no specified age restriction for an unlicenced driver as long as supervised by a licenced driver who can take immediate control if necessary.

An unlicenced driver cannot tow a skier or tube, and the licenced driver must be able to pass a breath test too.... Damn huh!!

Good call Lozzel.

I was out on the Swaines one year with my dad. One day it went from glassy to mean real quick. Im glad we had an awesome skipper.

Im pumped for this flatty trip. Should be a really good day. I will be keen who gets the fish of the day as im sure that fish will be in with a good shot at FOTM.

Angus

Guys and Girls,

Just having half a think about this trip and seats in boats, hire boats etc. and thought it might be a worthwhile idea for 'skippers' to register in the Attend Events section and place beisde their name if they have spare seat/s. Deckies who wish to attend could also register with a comment of 'seat required'. Once registered, the comment section can be updated at anytime with + or - seat numbers.

This way, its a one stop match up shop for bums and seats, instead of people having to re trawl through the threads looking for prospective fishing parters.

Sound like a fesible idea?

Guess its time to bring this thread back to the surface in preparation for this weekend.

Kriso - Did you read ny Jacobs Well report? Spot X is not that far of a swim away, and your boat would handle it there no problems at all.

Rocket - Have you scored a deckies seat yet? I think Nafa (Shane) is looking for a seat too.

Skippers, update your registration if you have a seat spare and let the 'events board' do some matchmaking!

Hi Angus, Lets get moving!!!

1 - Which ramp are we meeting at ??

2 - What time are we meeting ??

3 - Tide times for 5-8-07 are as follows.

Brisbane Bar

Low -- 08.00 ht 0.36

High-- 14.23 ht 1.99

+ 30 mins for for cabbage tree point.

That makes it Low water at 8.30 am.

Is this a good tide to fish??

I'm in for an early start (If I'm going)

I have never used the Cabbage Tree ramp, but Jacobs Well parking fills up around the 630-700am. Its suppose to be a 4 lane ramp (when people can back straight) so not too long waiting to launch. There is a fair amount of centre parking behind VMR leading away from the ramp and also some less populated BBQs and tables next to VMR opposite the swimming area. Bait, tackle, and PIES at the shop and there are public toilets too.

Is Cabbage Tree or somewhere else more suited? I will go whereever.

Cheers,

Hey everyone.

I have spoken with my mate Tristan (Funfisher) and we are not launching until 8:30-9:00am.

This decision has been made due to the tides and the fact we will be out all day.

Our best chances are from 10:30 till about 3:00.

We will be launching at the cabbage tree creek ramp.

If anyone wants to launch earlier, we can meet you there. But we like the idea of launching at a civilised time, fishing the best time, and staying out all day.

Bare in mind there is also a Bream ABT on that day. However this should not effect us that much as we will be fishing flats.

Cheers guys.

Angus

i'll be launching at first light. i've always found early am and the last of the run out the most productive time for hunting lizards. will meet you sleepyheads back at the ramp at 8;30ish and show you what you missed out on,then head back out with you to try these high tide methods.

can someone that knows there way around that area possibly post some directions to cabage tree point ramp, wich exit to take off the m1 etc

Take Exit 38.

Head towards Jacobs Well. There are two turnoff roads (that are signposted) to Cabbage Tree.

The first is called Shortcut Rd, but i can't remember the second one.

/>http://maps.google.com.au/maps?f=q&hl=en&geocode=&q=Shortcut+Road,+Jacobs+Well,+Queensland&ie=UTF8&ll=-27.743404,153.340945&spn=0.025258,0.032487&t=h&z=15&om=1

Post edited by: ellicat, at: 2007/07/30 15:41

Cabbage Tree Ramp is one of the better ones, 3 or 4 lanes and sand off to the side. Not much parking at the ramp but plenty up the street.

I'll be there early thank you. Gonna head over to the mouth of the pin for some tailor then drift back with the tide for the flatties. But I must confess I will be targeting School Jewies with some huge plastics.

I'll catch you guys along the way I suppose.

What's the weather saying.

Archived