My new rig =D !!! Fishful thinking

51MPL

Hey all, well here comes the close to a chapter (for now anyway :P) and a start of a new one. I've been looking to purchase a boat for quite some time now, tossing and turning not being able to make my mind up on whether i wanted a Hobie Outback or splash out a bit more and get a tinny. I changed my mind more times than i care to remember and annoyed the HELL out of a lot of people along the way (Eug, Keen-as-fisho, Ray, Tomca etc) - asking them countless stupid questions.

So inbetween uni and work I kept an eye out for both, waiting to see if any bargains would pop up. A couple trips here and there to go have a look at some boats resulted in well.. a big waste of time. Lots looked 'ok' from pictures but in actual fact were far from what was described so i kept looking. 10 year old hull & motor packages were averaging out around 5-6k or thereabout but i just couldn't find one that ticked all the boxes.

Finally a stacer popped up, 3.8 - full casting decks, 25hp blue-band merc, minn kota up the front and a what generally looked like a very tide example. Call was made as soon as i saw the add but he had sold it that afternoon! My hopes sunk and along with it came in thoughts of - why dont you just buy a damn hobie, way cheaper no fuel no rego... But i decided i like company too much and in the future, i hope to be able to give back to the community where many members have taken me out and taught me so much (Mick-Fillet, Zimman, Keen-as-fisho to name a few).

Anyhoo, few days ago up popped a 2008, 399 stacer proline - 25hp Blue-band Mercury motor, i think kitted out from factory with front and rear casting decks + carpetted middle section, couple swivel seats with multiple mounting points, decent looking combo. I called instantly no reply, I emailed with no reply, i texted with no reply until a few hours later - "Sorry i just" .. HUH? Don't tell me it's happening again, finally found another good looking setup and it's gone? *DOH*

I replied and asked "sorry i just what?", he replies later with "sorry i was just at work, been flatout so havent had a chance to reply" - BOOOM! Call him straight away and im there next day to check it out.

It looked pretty good in real life but gave the whole thing a look over and i was pretty impressed. Dropped a deposit down and went back today with Dennis (Keen-as-fisho) and he gave it a thumbs up so i parted with my little green men, and this little fella made his way home with me.

377794_10150377030772918_656477917_8436682_1923133837_n.jpg

389090_10150375052112918_656477917_8430624_1393952480_n.jpg

It was unregistered so made my way to QT this arvo - paid rego for boat and trailer and i'm on the water with dad as soon as i buy new stickers or whatever to change to the new boat rego :D

Also gotta re-do my marine licence so i did the test a couple years back but forgot to hand the form into QT.. that and i had no idea where it is. Ah well - i'd rather a quick refresher course before hitting the water as captain anyway.

Pretty bad pictures i know just off my phone, i'll give her a cleandown on sunday and get some more photos!

Can't wait to get on the water and blood her! Dunno how hard it'll be until i get a leccy :D:D:D

Great boat mate. That will get you all over the bay on a good day. We will see you over at Dunwick in Winter. :P

Yeah once i get some experience in the calmer water i'll follow you guys out to mud then eventually over to Dunwich :D:D

I reckon Dunwich can be easier than Mud at times. Although Dunwich is further the waves are not as effected by the current so much. The mouth of the Brissy can be quite wild at times as the water flows out. It will not take you long to get your confidence. Next time I am heading out I will drop you a line and you can follows us around. On a good day in the Bay it is easier than the river i reckon.

If you got your licence before all you have to do is ring Qld transport,ask for marine licences and they will check your name and tell you what to do. I just had to go through it all as I lost my wallet.

Hey Dino, sorry i was a bit confusing re the licence situation but this is what happened.

Did the test and passed.

Completely forgot about handing the form in.

By the time i rememebered i couldn't find it anymore :(

So yeah i doubt QT can do anything about it and i'd rather get a refresher course on all the rules and regs so i'm a bit safer out there. Thanks for your reply though

Gonna take dads ute whenever i go fishing - during the floods etc we were helping around our area a lot and one of the people who lived down the street gave us a van in return for all the cleaning and reno's we did :)

so yeah lucky that rodeo is always spare sitting at home

and sure manni, let me know where though i'll need to launch a couple hours before you and dell because you guys are too fast :P

Archived