92 members have voted

1. 1. Same-sex Marriage

• For
    • Against
    • Whatever

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I get on extremely well with the lesbians next door.

They recently asked me what I would like for my birthday.

I was stunned when they gave me a Rolex.

It was very nice of them, but I think they misunderstood me when I said, "I wanna watch."

I was living with my g/f for 5 years before I married her, and why did I marry her, its because there was something missing in my life, it would have saved me alot of $$$ and infact i could have had a nice boat with the amount i paid, but i did it because i wanted to belong with her and she belong with me, once we got married, my life became complete.

I guess what Im saying is that gays and lesso's would feel the same, and I have nothing against that, they bleed the same, they fish like all of us, they drive trucks, they even have kids (altho thats one thing i don't think the world is ready for yet, as the poor kid will be picked on like no tomorrow). Its the stupid christian's (sorry not all christians, im just meening the ones that are using religion to be against gay marriages), that are coursing all of this, and yet they are the most hypocritical people around, I know a few that are really hard core , yet they are having sex before marriage, having kids before marriage, and yet they say gays are going to hell.

Go figure.

Anywho, thats what i think.

i voted yes, i have a few gay and lesbian friends and i can see that they dont want to get married just for the sake of getting married like i see alot of hetro couples doing and then spliting up a year later.

the comments that gay marriage would make a joke of your own marriage is a load of rubbish, how on earth is it going to affect or change the way you feel about your wife and the commitment you have made to her, it wont affect you in any way shape or form. just regurgitating something that you have heard on the TV is my guess.

i know i will be loving my wife either way, and it wont be making a joke of our marriage. but each to there own

There are much bigger injustices in the world, they just don't get the same media coverage, so I have decided not to care about the gay marriage issue. In saying that, I am not opposed to it.

I know a fair few gay blokes, and girls actually, I'v got nothing against them but the whole thing seems like a bit of a pain in the ass to me

Its great to see Anna Blight & her rat bag government is tackling the big issues & employing the states wealth (what left that is) where it serves the greater community... good one guys...

Are you Kidding

I guess she's has a few inspirations in federal government with Penny Wong, Bob brown & the red nut head of the Country Gillard

It's a complex topic. One that stirs deep emotions I reckon. Initially when the topic arose I was against it for no other reason than it wasn't a significant enough topic to me that I was annoyed the federal pollies were wasting time on it....just another Greens issue receiving higher priority than it deserved. I still think that is the case. However as the topic time lengthened I asked myself why I was against. I couldn't come up with a good answer (to me) and then realised I couldn't care less. Marriage is just a word after-all.

Let's not allow the thread to degenerate into a hate-fest. Respect others opinions for they are just as right to them as yours are to you.

I'm married and ask anyone that knows me and they will tell you that I am also openly gray. :lol:

Marriage, definition - The formal union of a man and a woman, recognized by the church and/or the law, in which a couple become husband and wife.

^ that is what a marriage is to me ^

The legal union of 2 males or 2 females should come with the same legal rights as a married couple would get. The right to see them in hospital as next of kin, the right to estates, etc etc.

between two men or two women it is a union but not a marriage. That is the only thing I have a problem with.

However as the topic time lengthened I asked myself why I was against. I couldn't come up with a good answer (to me) and then realised I couldn't care less. Marriage is just a word after-all.

it's refreshing to see that people can still be open minded about topics like these, kudos to you brian.

at the end of the day i don't believe in marriage itself (in regards to a lousy piece of paper). i don't really care what the church thinks and feel that a biological union between two people (i.e. kids) is the biggest link that two people can have.

as for the legal recognition i think that both heterosexual and homosexuals should be allowed the same rights/priveledges.

What about hermaphrodites?

If I was a hermaphrodite I would seriously never have to leave the house :P

On same sex marraige though, 2 people of the same sex should have the same rights as one from each side. I have friends who have had 'committment' ceremonies etc but are still treated as separate entities in all things legally.

i am totally against same sex marriage if it is performed by a priest as the religous doctrines are all against this sort of thing however once you have the bloody religous side out of the way im only too happy to endorse any kind of legal or selfproclaimed hand tying ceromony i think its ridiculous they dont get a fair go in the eyes of the law my votes still outish on adoptian i cant make up my mind but i think im for it as there just arent enough reasons to be against it ...

still cant work out why the gay comunity is trying to endorse an out of date ideal like marriage anyway... still takes all sorts

jason

Totally for it, not letting people who love each other and want to make a commitment to each other have the same rights in society is discrimination pure and simple. There are many things that same sex couples do not enjoy that hetero couples enjoy such as medicare safety net (total accumulation before reimbursement), Next of kin rights, and in addition to this as quoted from the Australian Human rights commission website:

"Same-sex couples and families get fewer leave entitlements, less workers’ compensation, fewer tax concessions, fewer veterans’ entitlements, fewer health care subsidies, less superannuation and pay more for residential aged care than opposite-sex couples in the same circumstances.

Same-sex couples are denied these basic financial and work-related entitlements because they are excluded from the definitions describing a couple in all the federal laws in Appendix 1. Federal law after federal law defines a ‘partner’ or a ‘member of a couple’ or a ‘spouse’ or a ‘de facto spouse’ as a person of the opposite sex."

Totally for it, not letting people who love each other and want to make a commitment to each other have the same rights in society is discrimination pure and simple. There are many things that same sex couples do not enjoy that hetero couples enjoy such as medicare safety net (total accumulation before reimbursement), Next of kin rights, and in addition to this as quoted from the Australian Human rights commission website:

"Same-sex couples and families get fewer leave entitlements, less workers’ compensation, fewer tax concessions, fewer veterans’ entitlements, fewer health care subsidies, less superannuation and pay more for residential aged care than opposite-sex couples in the same circumstances.

Same-sex couples are denied these basic financial and work-related entitlements because they are excluded from the definitions describing a couple in all the federal laws in Appendix 1. Federal law after federal law defines a ‘partner’ or a ‘member of a couple’ or a ‘spouse’ or a ‘de facto spouse’ as a person of the opposite sex."

I totally agree that any union of two people in a committed relationship should enjoy the legal rights of a heterosexual couple. where I differ is the declaration of marriage. I must note that I am somewhat against marriage having a failed one after 20 years.

Originally Marriage was only conducted by a church but that has since been relaxed and now non religious couples can get married. For me Marriage is still the bastion of the church and I can not understand what all the fuss is about. Marriage to me is a crock of poo as an almost majority of people do not honor the vows they make when they get married.

The points made above are not dependent on the right to get married. These legal requirements can be accommodated without a Marriage. Equality should cover these couples. It is wrong that a fellow can have fought in the war and died but his partner can not access his armed forces pension just because they are gay. good enough to fight for the nation good enough to enjoy the rights others enjoy.

What about hermaphrodites?

If I was a hermaphrodite I would seriously never have to leave the house :P

On same sex marraige though, 2 people of the same sex should have the same rights as one from each side. I have friends who have had 'committment' ceremonies etc but are still treated as separate entities in all things legally.

Just 1 extra vertebra and I wouldn't either.... :ohmy: :lol: , but I'd still need to be married as someone needs to do the washing up etc

This lad was brought up by 2 lesbians.

/>http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=yMLZO-sObzQ

I am female and I have been with my girlfriend for 12 years. I do not give a rats posterior what people think. We have been together for 12 years and going strong. What we have is stronger than what alot of other heterosexual couples have. To me, it is the love and bond that defines a unity, not a piece of crap paper.

There are people who have been wanting to get out and let friends and relatives around them know what they are feeling but its because of "judgements" they are afraid to. Is it fair? It is a big step. Instead of slapping them and making them feel like the odd ones out, help them be who they are.

Tight lines,

Coen

This lad was brought up by 2 lesbians.

/>http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=yMLZO-sObzQ

I am female and I have been with my girlfriend for 12 years. I do not give a rats posterior what people think. We have been together for 12 years and going strong. What we have is stronger than what alot of other heterosexual couples have. To me, it is the love and bond that defines a unity, not a piece of crap paper.

There are people who have been wanting to get out and let friends and relatives around them know what they are feeling but its because of "judgements" they are afraid to. Is it fair? It is a big step. Instead of slapping them and making them feel like the

Tight lines,

Coen

well put and good onya. my sister and her partner have been together for 11 years now

both were in hetro marriages that failed before they met, got four kids between them.

I think we may be missing the sub-text here.

ECat if you've found a man that you love and that loves you, you don't need anyone's approval just do what feels right. :woohoo:

Let gays marry or just make marriage illegal altogether, anything to stop the hillbillies, terminally stupid and ignorant from reproducing.

I think we may be missing the sub-text here.

ECat if you've found a man that you love and that loves you, you don't need anyone's approval just do what feels right. :woohoo:

Let gays marry or just make marriage illegal altogether, anything to stop the hillbillies, terminally stupid and ignorant from reproducing.

How many kids do you have bayden

Hi guys, kept out of this until now but have read every post with interest.

I am disappointed to see some of the younger members against it, i thought they would have a more open view on the subject than us older guys, i was wrong.

I do not have a problem with same - sex marriage at all, i have friends who are gay and they are some of the nicest people you would ever want to meet.

Certainly better than some of the feral heterosexual people i have met that's for sure, every-bodies different in their own little way, believe it or not there are some people that don't like fishing.

Treat people as you would like to be treated, and live and let live.

I personally think that if your only reason for disagreeing with this is religion then you don't even have a reason, just this old fellas 2 bobs worth, cheers wayne

Well said wayne.

At the end of the day i am sure that every here is related to, or knows someone who is gay.

My sister is gay, my brother inlaw is gay and i know alot of gay people who are no different to me or any of my mates.

Obviously alot of their lifestyles are different but most of them are in long term relationships and most have kids too.

These kids are happy and healthy with an understanding of their parents choice.

But Seiously Wayne... is this an urban myth or what?....

"some people dont like fishing"

:-) :-) :-) :-)

Ok so there's been mention of both sailors and Christians, so here's my two bits worth as being both:

I'm Christian but in a minority in the faith as I'm for gay marriage. Grew up with a sunday school teacher Mum and went to a Catholic school. However, have been around the traps a bit and have served in war zones with, and been comrades with lesbians, and have had civilian neighbours that became friends that were gay. I could never see that they made a choice to be gay, they are just wired that way. I never saw harm in them.

Through this life experience have made my own mind up about things, and have adjusted my beliefs accordingly.

I'll admit as a heterosexual I find any affection between two men pretty disgusting, and anything between two women pretty hot, but I'm not going to judge them over it and I will treat them the same as any other couple.

Footnote: Sailors will only take the typical joke about sailors so far. So beware.

Hi guys, kept out of this until now but have read every post with interest.

I am disappointed to see some of the younger members against it, i thought they would have a more open view on the subject than us older guys, i was wrong.

I do not have a problem with same - sex marriage at all, i have friends who are gay and they are some of the nicest people you would ever want to meet.

Certainly better than some of the feral heterosexual people i have met that's for sure, every-bodies different in their own little way, believe it or not there are some people that don't like fishing.

Treat people as you would like to be treated, and live and let live.

I personally think that if your only reason for disagreeing with this is religion then you don't even have a reason, just this old fellas 2 bobs worth, cheers wayne

No surprise about the young fellas. My oldest bloke is testosterone plus and 16.5 years old. He has a passionate dislike of gays. He didn't get it from tolerant old me, although I think I was the same at his age. I reckon you get wiser and more tolerant with experience and age and feel less threatened by the unknown.

Like tiotony I can't stand seeing 2 blokes kissing. It just makes me crook. :sick: I still haven't gotten over seeing the Crying Game either. :lol:

Archived