How to stop lure hooks rusting

arand18

I don't find moisture the problem but the salt on trebles is a quick death. Also putting a salty lure back into a tray will corrupt other lures.

Henry has a good habit of keeping a little container of fresh water in his tackle bag. Whenever he changes a lure over the used one goes in this container to be dried later.

As far as I know this method has had excellent results.

Angus

yep. just one of those small tuppaware containers with fresh water in there. Drop your lures in there and at the end of the day just hang them up to dry. They're already washed. Ever since doing that I haven't had a rust problem.

Re using salt - that would be 1 step below using acid.

yep I think we have all had a problem with rust along the lines

if you put one used lure back into a tray full of new lures with brand new hooks on them chances are they will all start to rust an corrode- salt spreads like fire- put used lures into a different tray an wash with warm fresh water once home - take the time to dry them off with paper towel or whatever an they will be sticky sharp rust free forever

I rinse mine off, then put inox on them, but I like the fresh water idea, simple but sounds effective

Careful with the inox mate, it's quite harsh on rubbers. Lanox would be a better option.

Does this mean it will harm something like a jackall mask vibe? I have been using inox on all my cranks. I always thought inox was all good. Anyone experienced bad results with inox?

What I do is take a separate container in my bag and every time I swap jigheads, lures, trebles or anything I put it in the separate container. After I get home I take all the used gear out and rinse it under fresh water and dry before putting it back with the others. It won't stop it completely but it helps a heck of a lot.

Hope it helps :)

I carry one of these filled with fresh water ...........also good for misting some fresh water onto your reel if it's copping salt spray.

cheers tim :)

Sheesh.... now that just sounds little to delicate for me! :side: :pinch: :silly: :whistle:

It's good practice when you have high end tackle ;)

personally I think that's over the top for high end tackle. A wash at the end of the day is sufficient to clean your gear even if it is copping an absolute bollocking in the salt.

Mid end gear - yeah sure. I'd consider it.

When you're talking stellas and exists - the seals will do more than a sufficient job to keep the salt out until you get home at the end of 1 day.

Same for rods. Higher end rods don't use parts that are as susceptible to rust and their epoxy finish is at such a quality that no water seeps in at the foot of the guides.

I carry one of these filled with fresh water ...........also good for misting some fresh water onto your reel if it's copping salt spray.

Sheesh.... now that just sounds little to delicate for me! :side: :pinch: :silly: :whistle:

It's good practice when you have high end tackle ;)

Guess that's why my boats only hit fresh water, and therefore constantly misted.

First off, use quality hooks, and I dont mean tournament grade ones, I mean ones that actually have galvanising on them.

Second, everyone elses hint about rinsing them off and drying off at the end of the day is a definite

Thirdly use "lure mates" or similar to store them for any length of time.

Archived