Where to catch fresh water Eel

sprintcardude

G'day everyone, i have done some sharking recently and i am needing the X factor to help me get over the line. I think the change that is needed is the bait and fresh eel is the way i want to go. All i need is a place where i can go and catch the eels. I have tried places close to my area and havent had any. i neeed a place that you people has had some success and got some eel. Please all i am after is a place where i can catch eel.

Cheers Justin ;)

ah, roughly where do you live?

Your other option is of course the ultimate shark bait, and the rivers anglers arch enemy, the pike eel. Just drop a bait in any dirty river on the bottom and you'll either get catties or pike eels.

Very slimy, teeth like Chad Morgan, but as sharp as a great whites. Very friendly and docile (NOT). Best blessed by your handy wooden priest the second it gets close enough.

put redclaw pots out a maroon dam.

I get heaps of huge eels in mine

I have never got any in mine out there shortie

If you are at sunnybank I think any of the local creeks and dams/ponds around you will hold eels. I would think that even Stable swamp creek off Troughtons road would hold eels in the deeper holes. I am not a local but there is where I would be looking. That was just a quick google fo the area.

what have you been using for bait for the eels we use roo most of the time if not just abit of steak soaked in tuna oil when your fishing for them you need to let them take the line for awhile for them to swallow it then bring them in quickly cause they are the masters of getting off

cheers nick

On the north side just at some local creeks. They are literally everywhere though and easy to catch (I think I used to resort to eel fishing cos it was the easiest thing to catch :P)

Look for the deep pools in creeks or anywhere really. I've caught a few in fast flowing water too. So as I said they aren't too fussy. Any creek or dam should have them. Just take a few lines to give yourself the best opportunity of getting one but expect turtles as by catch.

Have a drive around and find a little creek or something and give it a go and hopefully you'll get a few :)

Good luck

You could get them in close to the rocks/mangroves where you are fishing for the sharks; they are the same eel, just living in the salt. Just wondering if it might be more interesting to use livies? Still get the sharks you are after but opening yourself up for other things like Jew, salmon etc.

i get mine behind the capalaba tavern put a hook and small sinker on builders string line with a small bit of meat put 3-4 lines out tie them to a tree and come back in about 1/2 hour

i smoke mine too good for bait .there teeth will wear through nylon

if you want to burly for them anything burnt feathers / hair/ fur/wool will bring them from miles away

good luck

I have found roo to be the best. It has a great strong small to it. They will it anything as they are opatunistic eaters

Concentrate targeting them of a night time . Scrubby creek, slacks creek, bulimia creek, well all creeks.

Use google maps and surch and surch for a creek or dam, just make sure you can fish them.

In all the years I have dropped pots in n.p.d, maroon, simerset ect, I have never got 1 eel

on them

Try underwood dams, scrubby creek ec

Looking at HillCrest,Brown Plains,Logan River inlets.Look at Eel Spots here on the Forum Archive.

I use a small Float,with 20lb Steel Trace and Long Shank Hooks with about 6.4kg mono line on a Light Rod setup.You will find Tilapia in these spots as well.

Add Don't forget a large sharp knife or a handy piece of wood because the Long finned Eel comes out hissing and wriggling.

Are you allowed to fish in scruby creek???

You can fish Scrubby Creek.

Go to Adam Goulds park and there is several jetties built on the little lake.

Fish straight under the jetties and you will catch more eels than you will ever need.

It is also full of decent sized carp and a few yellas as well.

so on this subject, do you just frezze the eel to use later or do you need to treat it with something first?

.the best treatment for eel is split them in half salt them down put honey over them then smoke it put in the fridge to cool down goes down nice with a cold beer

Archived