Silver Perch at NP

robski

jimmybob wrote:

great catch mate.. i love those fish..fight harder than a bass the same size and taste awesome too..well done mate:)

Got a 42cm one in the Severn River a few years back and he was pretty good eating fresh from a clean river. Have heard differing views though.:huh:

He took a bit of line but I thought a bass would go harder (but I've never caught a bass on a line before though:blush: )

i have got a nice one of bout 40cm in np damon worms..it went hard..and the one i got at hinze went nuts compared to the bass the same size we were getting....i think as they get bigger they turn herbivores thou...and they do get oversize in the dams too but cuz they eat weed n stuff ya dont see the big ones..pic of hinze silver...yummy:) [img size=448]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/h4-3f80b47732c4c8b6ff93bc6a0de7ec47.JPG

post-180-144598431004_thumb.jpg

Silvers give a good account of themselves. They fight well but both Bass and Silvers fight pretty evenly.

Here's a 40 odd cm one I caught on a Spinnerbait as I was firing a few quick casts up in the shallows of an arm as I was making my way around. Got him about 100m away from where Brian got his.

He hit the lure sweetly and managed to get the first hook, stinger hook and 3inch soft plastic trailer perfectly down the hatch. I don't know how he did it as the gap of both the hooks was wider then his mouth :S .

Troy [img size=444]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/TroyPBSilverPerch.JPG

post-68-144598431011_thumb.jpg

I have caught several silvers out at NPD over the years, most were taken from shallow bays and weed beds, but also have taken several from 20 to 30ft on bait. One of the best bays [when it had water] was the bay between bullocky and the rangers house.

I have taken them on s/baits,g/vibes,and small h/bodies plus shrimps,worms and grasshoppers.

When fishing from the bank they are usually not far out. Most of the ones i have got put up a good fight as they are all muscle.

Dino

Archived