It's A Long Time Since I Used This Forum Category

ellicat

Hey ellicat

That rig looks awesome, hopefully she will serve you very well.

It looks like a fantastic boat for the bay as well, and you've got a windshield for the chop (so hopefully you won't get soaked like I do on the kayak when it's rough 😉). 

I hope to hear some reports about it in the coming weeks and months. 🙂 Good luck! 

Cheers Hamish 

2 minutes ago, AUS-BNE-FISHO said:

Hey ellicat

That rig looks awesome, hopefully she will serve you very well.

It looks like a fantastic boat for the bay as well, and you've got a windshield for the chop (so hopefully you won't get soaked like I do on the kayak when it's rough 😉). 

I hope to hear some reports about it in the coming weeks and months. 🙂 Good luck! 

Cheers Hamish 

Yep, hopefully I'll be contributing a few more worthy reports.

3 minutes ago, ellicat said:

That's the other news...

I decided to make it a non smoking boat to aid me in giving away the filthy habit. I'll save $300 a week if I give it up, so would have paid back a large chunk of what she cost, in a year.

2 minutes ago, ellicat said:

Yep, hopefully I'll be contributing a few more worthy reports.

Hey ellicat

Good luck with quitting smoking, it will be good if it can pay off the boat by doing so. 🙂 

Hopefully we will hear some more reports too, I suppose you know some spots from going around in The Force 🙂 

Cheers Hamish

1 minute ago, Hweebe said:

Awesome, congrats mate. Looks a very clean boat. Lightly used by the last owner. Anything you would like to add before you hit the water for a fishing session or is it good to go?

It's pretty much ready to go. I just have to fill the water bottle and then the esky. 😉

It hasn't been serviced for 18 months so that's one of the first things to happen.

Congrats. 

Good donk on there too. 

Have you ever used an anchor retriever? Save your back the hard work, even though you have others now to do it but those things are worth every cent. 

If you read books then get a hold of Allen Carrs easy way to quit smoking. There's a free copy online. 

Worked for me. 22yrs and I gave up by the end of the book.

It's like a self hypnosis.

Worth a try if you want to stop. However that's the key, you gotta want to stop. 

I built my boat with what I saved.  

Wow, you are good at keeping a secret, I was at your place Friday arvo and no mention of it ......... 🙂   On a serious note though, this news has made me VERY happy on both fronts. I had a feeling you were having thoughts about buying a boat and it looks like a beauty, nice and neat and plenty of room to fish out the back. If it doesn't already, order a chain sock off @aussie123 for your anchor chain - I put one on mine on the holidays and it is so much better on the hands, nice and quiet and will stop your nicely painted hull from getting banged up. I can swing by one arvo after school and give you a hand to put it onto the chain.

And great to hear you are kicking the smokes - between that and getting some salt air in the lungs you'll be like a teenager again (watch out wifey ..... 😉). And wow, that's alot of money to be saving!!!!

Is it easy to back into your driveway? Just need to rely on people being patient and not flying around the corner I suppose 🙂 Can't wait to see you out on the water mate - well done.

Thanks Kelvin. Yeah, I used to back the Force up without too many issues. This one's a bit longer so will have to get used to that. Need to use the footpath to avoid the traffic at peak times though. I won't be acting like a teenager until I've re-saved the boat cost, according to my playmate. Haha

I just ordered the sock, so I'll let you know when it arrives.

1 minute ago, aussie123 said:

Awesome boat Brian and I think it may be the same model that my mum and dad had which was a fantastic rig.

What size chain do you have as the chain sock comes in 2 sizes to suit either 6 or 8mm chain.

Make sure you watch this video below on how to fit the sock properly as it can save you hours of frustration due to the gal on the chain.

Thanks Lance. I just went and measured it in the dark and I'm pretty sure it's only 6mm, which is what I ordered.

3 hours ago, rayke1938 said:

Congrats. Now we know why the garage clean out. Are you donating the force to the maritime museum?🤤

Thanks Ray.

I wish it would fit in the garage but there is still too much stuff in there and she is too long anyway, so it'll rest in the backyard under a tarp and under the watchful eyes of the 'ferocious' dogs.

Haha, the Force's future is still unknown. It's been living at a mate's place so I'll probably leave it with him. Might take a picture for posterity's sake.

2 minutes ago, jon said:

Nice rig there Brian u must be excited, I like the amount of clear deck space it has. Probably be pretty good on fuel to. Perfect for the bay but big enough  to get to boat rock on good days

Thanks Sef.  I think I'll get a few more k's out the tank than the old Force. Going to Boat rock, the question is if I'm up to it. Haha

48 minutes ago, jon said:

Nice rig there Brian u must be excited, I like the amount of clear deck space it has. Probably be pretty good on fuel to. Perfect for the bay but big enough  to get to boat rock on good days

Yeah. Nice size. Easily handled by one person or take a mate. Looks in bloody good nick too!

45 minutes ago, ellicat said:

Yes. It is probably at my limit sizewise. I was looking at a 5.2 but @benno573 reminreminded me of my restricted abilities.

Hey ellicat

Righto, I see the boat is 4.96M (According to Google). Does the extra size make a lot of difference in capabilities, where to park it, or like you said when it gets that size is it just to hard to handle? 

Cheers Hamish 🙂 

Yes, a bigger boat usually comes with a bigger motor and greater ability to go into rougher waters. Parking is not an issue, the problem comes when handling it when retrieving from the water and winching it up onto the trailer etc. I run out of puff pretty quick when winching @Old Scaley's boat and this one is slightly larger. Anything more and I'd never get the thing up by myself. I'm going to buy an electric winch like the one someone posted from Anaconda a couple of weeks ago.

Currently I only have the more expensive Powerwinches on the website but there is 2 new winches that have just become available so they are not on the website yet.

Check out these 2 links on the importers website.

RELAXN® ELECTRIC WINCH - BOAT TRAILER - 2000LB (907KG) $155.00

https://www.samallen.com.au/index_inner.php?page=100003&searchType=&search=&itemID=17319&category=4

RELAXN® ELECTRIC WINCH - BOAT TRAILER - 3500LB (1588KG)  $190.00

https://www.samallen.com.au/index_inner.php?page=100003&searchType=&search=&category=4&itemID=17320&part=542822

3 minutes ago, aussie123 said:

Currently I only have the more expensive Powerwinches on the website but there is 2 new winches that have just become available so they are not on the website yet.

Check out these 2 links on the importers website.

RELAXN® ELECTRIC WINCH - BOAT TRAILER - 2000LB (907KG) $155.00

https://www.samallen.com.au/index_inner.php?page=100003&searchType=&search=&itemID=17319&category=4

RELAXN® ELECTRIC WINCH - BOAT TRAILER - 3500LB (1588KG)  $190.00

https://www.samallen.com.au/index_inner.php?page=100003&searchType=&search=&category=4&itemID=17320&part=542822

The 3500lb recommends boats to 14'. Do you reckon I'd get away with that ?

It would depend on your trailer setp and how much weight you are pulling Brian.

Personally I would probably ask Ray what his winch is as I think it is a cheaper Ebay winch but it has performed brilliantly over a number of years now.

These ones are a new product so I have not even had a chance to look at one yet so I honestly could not recommend them yet.

Thanks Lance.

Hey @rayke1938 , what's the go with your ebay one ?

Whitworths have one for $260 that looks decent and says is strong enough for an 18 footer.

https://www.whitworths.com.au/electric-trailer-winch-3500-wireless-remote-control

There's also this one from ebay-

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/I-MAX-12V-5000LBS-Portable-Electric-Synthetic-Rope-Boat-Winch-Trailer-ATV-4WD4x4/271625991166?hash=item3f3e2bb3fe:g:deIAAOSwfhlb8OV1&shqty=1&isGTR=1#shId

What are your thoughts ?