Suburbs Of Origin 2020 - Competition Rules And Details

The Mad Hughesy

Welcome to the mighty Southside team,   @Kat.  That is a nice whiting. Funny how they look so small in a photo but you can get two nice fillets off a whiting that size. Were they soldier crabs that you used for bait? There could be some much bigger ones around your area so you might end up on the leaderboard at some stage. Either way, you are part of the team.

14 hours ago, Kat said:

Hi @Old Scaley, I don't really know what crabs they were.  I was pumping for yabbies and they were coming up.  They were small and black and white?  

Cheers Kat

did they look like this?

Australian Soldier crabs | Ocean creatures, Ocean animals, Airlie beach

I can't find a photo of the small version that are more black and white. seems the blue ones are more photogenic. 

3 minutes ago, ellicat said:

They aren't the best bait going for your bread and butter species but they do work. Try to capture the smaller ones that will fit into a whiting's mouth. Maybe put 2 on your hook.

They are easy (and maybe a little fun) to chase and catch when they are marching around as in the photos above.

Hey @ellicat no I dont plan to chase them down - LOL - I am not insane.  I will give them a try if I end up pumping them up instead of yabbies as I did the other day 🤣

34 minutes ago, Kat said:

Off to MacLeay Island for a few days.  May island hop.  Going to try and beat the leaderboard on flathead, whiting (yeah right), or Bream.  I know we are all on the same team but....

I am addicted and know the weather sucks but at least I am not in a boat 🤣

Good luck. 

Do you know Chris Cox? He lives on Lamb. 

11 hours ago, Kat said:

Hiya.  No.  My parents live on MacLeay.  I actually have only been to Karragarra and Russell so far.  Do you know what the land based fishing on Lamb is like?

Cheers Kat

He mostly fishes from a yak and I have not spent much time fishing there sorry. 

There would be heaps of bream to catch from the jetty if you use small hooks no sinker and bread. 

49 minutes ago, Drop Bear said:

Wow that is quite a talent. Taking just the neck? You must be pretty fast sewing your head to your shoulders or have I got it wrong? 

But if in doubt, you could actually go fishing? 

Fishing? What’s that?

Actually my boat is in for its first service so haven’t even got a boat at the moment.

4 hours ago, Breaming with bro said:

Oh crap I just realised trevally where on the speices list . I will have to give mine a measure tomorrow it’s in the eski along with a cod . It kind of sucks I didn’t measure it when I caught it cause it would have Srunk by a cm or 2 

Go bro! A northsider on the board? Who would have thunk it!