Headed north to red country

jon

3 hours ago, jon said:

Thanks Hamish. We fish talicas and torsas generally talica tens and twelves on 40 to 60 lb line but when we know the reds are around we pull out the torsa 20’s and 30’s and fish 80lb line and leader especially if the sharks are about!

Hi jon

Cheers for the advice. Makes lots of sense about the heavier lines. You'd probably want to be getting fish up ASAP if there's lots of shark about!

Cheers Hamish

7 hours ago, benno573 said:

Cracker trip sef. One where everything just lined up perfectly and the fish played the game too. 

Whats your preference - red, trout, nanny or goldband? For me the coro wins hands down.

Anything but coral trout lol, tbh red throat would have to be close to my favourite along side red emporer. But it all tastes pretty good I just find coral trout to be a bit bland.

Edited by jon

6 hours ago, kmcrosby78 said:

Nailed it again @jon, that's a VERY impressive (and tasty!!) haul of fish. How did you catch the dolphinfish and what length did it go? Also, how long is the boat out of interest? I hadn't heard of them before but looks a nice rig.

Not to sure kelvin as I didn’t measure it I just knew it was bigger than any that I had caught before. It was a total fluke as I dropped a massive squid with a 12 ball sinker my mates yelled out there was two huge dollies under the boat. Next thing I know there was no weight on my line and the braid started to go horizontal, luckily I had the brains to quickly back the drag of sunset to a more acceptable level for Pelagics lol 😂 .

I think the boat is about 7.5 close to 8 metres it’s  hands down the best boat I have been in. Apparently there real popular down south I think there’s a 3 year wait to get one built custom. It turned what is 4 hour trip in my boat into about 2.5 hrs. He got No change out of 200k though. So much space though and just eats the chop. And still gets 1km per litre fully loaded up and doing 30 knots

Edited by jon

4 hours ago, jon said:

Cheers bro, yeah the drive home is a killer, everyone one wants to take first shift and no one wants to drive the last few hundred coz we’re all wrecked. This time we couldn’t handle it and pulled up on the side of the road at Tiaro slept for about five hours then hit the road again. Was the safe thing to do.

Yeah I've always wondered that when I've read 1770 reports - I couldn't do it (well, not solo anyway .....). Good to hear you guys pulled over and recharged when you needed to Sef 🙂. Oh and nice quick thinking on the dollie - nice work!! And that boat sounds like a beast!

• 3 weeks later...