Sunny Coast Spanish Mack Mission 2022.

GregN70

My goal is to catch a Spanish Mackerel, I’ve been chasing these for years with no luck, especially out of Yeppoon in Central Qld of late where they appear to be extinct there.

So the plan is this: I have 2 weeks off in January/February and Im planning a trip down to Mooloolaba Sunny Coast area. From my research that time and place seem to be my best chance of running into one of these oceanic speedsters.

I’m taking my 581 Mclay Crossover Cuddy Cab, 140hp Suzuki and plan to pester the local tackle shops for info on where and when while there. Will mainly troll, lures, and rigged swimming dead baits. But will mix it up depending on conditions etc.

I am taking the following offshore type rods,

1.       PE3-4 Demon Blood OH Rod, with a Saltiga 30HA Star Drag running 50lb braid (250m)

2.       PE4-5 Demon Blood OH Rod Saltiga 35 Lever Drag with 60lb Braid. (330m)

The overheads will run a top-shot of 50 0r 60lb nylon/flurocarbon for a bit of shock absorption, perhaps 20m or so.

Also taking a Nomad Blue Water 7” spin stick, PE 2.5-4 with a Certate SW 10000-H and 47lb braid (300m) for throwing small stick baits and flasher lures etc.

Is there anything im missing, or recommend I need for this mission?

Forget about lures. Slow troll dead/ live baits around the outer gneerings/blinker area. Just look for all the other boats doing the same. 
plenty of info on rigs, techniques and best baits out there. Google “bump trolling” that’s what they call it in florida cos they bump it in and out of gear to keep it slow. Best of luck

4 hours ago, Andrew_P said:

Forget about lures. Slow troll dead/ live baits around the outer gneerings/blinker area. Just look for all the other boats doing the same. 
plenty of info on rigs, techniques and best baits out there. Google “bump trolling” that’s what they call it in florida cos they bump it in and out of gear to keep it slow. Best of luck

Yep, thanks. I've become quite good at rigging baits and can get them to swill really well, up around yeppoon where I have been trying for the last couple years, I've used Tailor/Bonito/Ribbonfish/Yellowtail Pike. Make up a rig with front hook, stinger at rear, chin weight, sometimes a skirt or an islander style trolling head, etc. So i'll start there.

The inner gneerings are so close, I thought you'd have to get out to the barwon banks to do any good. That's great if the fish are that close. Here at Yeppoon the closest Mackerel area is 31km East from the Marina, but the better mackerel areas are 50-60km from the ramp.

Mate if you come to cairns i,l get you one in a morning.  cpl mile out.  cost ya a carton.

Also look these up.. TrollTrue heads. usa yank thing. about 10$ each. Made of lead painted. Hell easy to rig dead bait. First time i used it i got 2 decent 10 kg spanish in half hr. Used on a baby barracuda and a gar. Was very impressed. Slow trolled 1-2 knots with elec motor . Apparently you can troll em the usual 8 knots. my other mac that morning was on a live School mac.

trolltrue.PNG

Thanks for the tips.

I also find this kind of funny too. My Ex Father-In Law, lives at Evans Head NSW, and he showed me his Mackerel gear. It consists of large handlines filled with rope, a short length of thick multi strand wire and a 8" metal spoon with one big hook. He always seems to catch a few good Macks every year down there despite not having the right baits, not using nylon, not even using a rod and not even owning a sounder, just using land marks.  Perhaps im over thinking all of this, and basic and simple is better?

12 hours ago, GregN70 said:

Thanks for the tips.

I also find this kind of funny too. My Ex Father-In Law, lives at Evans Head NSW, and he showed me his Mackerel gear. It consists of large handlines filled with rope, a short length of thick multi strand wire and a 8" metal spoon with one big hook. He always seems to catch a few good Macks every year down there despite not having the right baits, not using nylon, not even using a rod and not even owning a sounder, just using land marks.  Perhaps im over thinking all of this, and basic and simple is better?

yep.. they realy arent that hard to catch

• 4 months later...

Well I had my Holiday down the Sunshine Coast area, but sadly the weather gods were unkind, so I only got outside once and it was still very rough so fishing was almost impossible. Thanks mostly Ex Cyclone Seth. Anyway, my dreams of catching a Spanish mackerel will have to wait another year until I can get back down the sunshine coast again..

Cheers

13 hours ago, kmcrosby78 said:

They are definitely in your area, I'd do what you can up there to crack the code. Talk to staff at tackle shops, people at boat ramps, check for Facebook groups, etc. My brother lives in Gracemere and just bought a new boat (he previously had two but sold them both) and has been straight back into them after a hiatus. He has a spot somewhere not too far (not totally sure on distance) from the mouth of the Fitzroy that is a large rock/pinnacle that seems to consistently hold them when in season.

Would have to be 30-40km from the mouth of the Fitzroy as that entire area is currently almost freshwater at the moment & has been since November 

27 minutes ago, kmcrosby78 said:

Just had my brother confirm it's about 60km out. I didn't realise it was that far. 

Everything is that far up here.  The furthest i've been on a day trip was to try some deeper shoals ESE of Douglas, which was about 123km east from the boat ramp at Yeppoon, so a 250km round tip. Yet still only got 4 small fish. Trout, Red Throat x 2 & a Maori Cod.

Capture4445558889.PNG

On 19/9/21 at 9:43 PM, davostephens said:

Mate if you come to cairns i,l get you one in a morning.  cpl mile out.  cost ya a carton.

Also look these up.. TrollTrue heads. usa yank thing. about 10$ each. Made of lead painted. Hell easy to rig dead bait. First time i used it i got 2 decent 10 kg spanish in half hr. Used on a baby barracuda and a gar. Was very impressed. Slow trolled 1-2 knots with elec motor . Apparently you can troll em the usual 8 knots. my other mac that morning was on a live School mac.

trolltrue.PNG

Hi Davo. Just saw this thread. I ordered some of these online from the manufacturer in the USA a few months ago but they ended up refunding my money because they don’t ship to Australia. Do you remember how you got a hold of yours?

cheers

Greg

On 31/01/2022 at 9:12 AM, Neil Stratford said:

Greg , if you want to catch a Spanish Mackerel   , this IMO is what you need to use.(see photo below.)

They just can’t resist these baits and the bigger the Bonito the faster they absolutely will go off. There’s no luck involved , the skill  is in catching the bait , the bait rigging ,how the boat is driven and then bullying the fish ito the boat before it becomes the prey. 

As mentioned in this spiel , Yes I’ve fished out from Seaforth - specifically in the Smith Group  , this area goes off for Spanish and is a place that every mackerel fisherman should visit . You live approximately  half way between Brisbane and Mackay . I know where I’d be looking  and it isn’t Mooloolaba.

Yes bummer for you , The mackerel on the mat were caught off Mooloolaba two days before Xmas 2021 - all on Bonito , pity you got crappy weather, good chance you would have got one as they were there in pretty good numbers .

Good luck getting your first Spanish.

Neil

Thanks Neil, the Smiths look pretty good on Navionics, Qld Globe & Bathmaps.

As for Bait, around this Yeppoon area where i Normally fish, I have spot where I catch Watsons Bonito pretty easy and in the past I get a few at the start of my trip, keep them alive and troll them live, with a nose bridle and stinger hook in the tail. Sometimes up near the surface, and often off a downrigger too, depending what the sounder is telling me. But it would seem they don't like live Bonito, I might have to do a few bait runs and put some in the freezer and rig them as dead troll baits.

Cheers

On 31/01/2022 at 12:15 PM, Neil Stratford said:

I set the boat speed  going forward at about 3 knots , drop the baits in one at a time and count back about 40 sec in free spool gently thumbing the spool to keep the line tight  , once lines are set , I then slow down as slow as the boat goes.

Neil you are so generous with your information. Thanks so much legend.