Seaway blog

Mylesfisher

Day 1  20/08/2022

We started the day by pike fishing at the pier it was bad and I got tangled 3 times my mates pike lure was even snapped off 😬. We thought that we would have to try yakka. Mg mate left to go back to his place. Since the spit was bad with a 1.4m swell I went on the drift near the pipe in 3 casts it felt like I was snagged but no it was 3 yakka all nice size I was so happy. I ran up to the runway and I did my first drift and then my second no bites I did my third not even a tickle and I did my fourth. I was pretty confused at this point the jewies were not attacking it as much oh well everybody has donut sessions even with bait another day another learning experience hopefully a silver ghost will hit the ground running on my 30lb 

15 hours ago, jon said:

Keep trying, some people take years to nail their first big Jewie. Some people never get one so don’t be discouraged if it takes you a while to work out the big jewfish code. They can be a hard fish to work out. My best success has come from the deeper holes around the tide changes in the colder months at night time. Anchored up or land based with livies

Couldn't agree more - Lots of sessions to land my first jewie in the port of brisbane but combination of livey at night (from the poo shoot), drifting close into the shipping container lights (without getting told to move on) on a slack tide was what landed me my first jewie.

Thanks guys I really appreciate the feedback I have looked at the weather and it looks bad 16-28 km winds sometimes and I dont want to get me self into a mischeif I will go for some tailor and anything big near the pipe and around the estuary with 4" minnowz opening night and some 5" jerk shads with 4/0 3/8 ounces the minnowz will have 1/6-1/8 ounce and 4/0 I might go with a mate and hopefully I'll catch a biggun do you know anytips on these plastics?

10 hours ago, Mylesfisher said:

Thanks guys I really appreciate the feedback I have looked at the weather and it looks bad 16-28 km winds sometimes and I dont want to get me self into a mischeif I will go for some tailor and anything big near the pipe and around the estuary with 4" minnowz opening night and some 5" jerk shads with 4/0 3/8 ounces the minnowz will have 1/6-1/8 ounce and 4/0 I might go with a mate and hopefully I'll catch a biggun do you know anytips on these plastics?

Plastics are hard to fish in the seaway especially with the big run in at the moment. Have you got any metals? The 3/8 will get down on the change of tide but that's late tonight.

Good way to target GT's over the pipe is to start your drift above the pipe on the run in and drop the metal close to the bottom and rip it back as hard as you can to the surface. Soon as you are past the pipe go back up and start again. 15 to 30g Halco Twisties or similar.

Tailor i would go a bit further up the Broadwater or even Nerang River late arvo and look for the birds. Or look for the bust ups. Again use the metal but throw it at the birds/bust ups and crank it back quick.

Thanks Lee Roy 

yes I do have a 30g twister that I could use I have seen bust ups before at the seaway so yes I will try that is there any specific spot for tailor in the Broadwater? And also is there any lure that I could just casually throw around the rocks when going up and down like a hardbody or a plastic cheers, Myles

I know the xrap is good as the updated minnow but which size would match the lure 4 down and im still not sure about the deep diving lure and the popper it looks really interesting i could probably match it with something around 95-125mm like a splash prawn but a baitfish not a prawn any reccemendations would be great

I will be taking a break from fishing and I will just drive around my boat today's session really threw a spanner in the works I headed out with a mate who has done some fishing before but no that experienced I was putting a bait jig onto my rod pulling at the swivel making it tight and crek the rod snapped a loud #### could be heard as I screamed I will probably get a refund due to the sheer little amount of force I put in. We put the jig onto the other rod which was such a bad quality rod and caught nothing. I chucked my remainder of softies and only caught 3 30-35cm bream and nothing cool yeah I need to take a break

I put the rod in the back rod holder and i was in the front seat taking the hooks out of a whiting i pulled a bit not to the breaking point and it snapped it broke of the end and second last loop bits and the shaft there the rods can be fixed but I find them to be stiff and unuseable if there was any other way of fixing it that would not make it stiff please tell me