What's in a name? Tell us your story.

Rocket75

Looking down the ever growing list of members, it struck me that there are some interesting and distinctive names being used. Some, like mine (Rocket), are derived from existing nicknames, and others are simply the users name eg, Angus.

I'm sure there are some interesting stories behind a few of them.

I for one would like to know who dubbed such a nice fella with the name "Feral".

There are some real crackers on the list, please explain!

Rocket

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Zim man wrote:

captain stabbin is a good name. long ago before captain stabbin there was a captain bottom dweller. not as good a name

my name is coz i am originally from zimbabwe hence zim man

I still prefer to call it Rhodesia :P

Well my name took a lot of time and thought :P Angus being of course my christened birth name. It does of course mean in Scots Gaelic "Unique" or "The One" so its kinda fitting i guess hahahaha.

Angus

in twelth century france there was a faulk the black a french noble man and a faulk le chaseur which i believe means frank the hunter roughly and since i used to dress in tights act all manly and run around beating people with sticks wearing armour ive kept the name :laugh:

:blush: Ash= Ashley

Ashley=

"From an English surname which was originally derived from a place name meaning "ash tree clearing" in Old English. Until the 1960s it was more commonly given to boys in the United States, but it is now most often used on girls."

:blush: :blush: :blush:

my father wanted to name me buzz after buzz aldrin as i was conceived and born around the time of the moon landing. my mother flatly refused because she had her heart set on calling me jamie after jamie redfurn, who some of us older lads would know is a..well, he's one of those. i ended up with jamie but as life went along i was often called buzz by my father and brothers, then friends and finally mum came around. my mates call be buzzid or booze hard, but its usually just buzz.

buzz

When I was trying to look up a user name for eBay, I looked around the room and my sight came across a fishing poster. On there was a Cowfish and it stuck in my head because it looked kinda cool. The 13 part was just the first number that came into my head. So now I use Cowfish13 for every online thingie fromn games to forums to eBay:)

My nick name has been Chubby for as long as I can remember. My in-laws, step daughter and many others still call me by it. A lot of people back in Tassie only know me by Chubby:laugh: Came in handy many times;)

Anyways 1 of my best mates (we've fished together since we were 10) back in Tassie used to call me Chubbstar. So now I use that on the net;)

Jayson

• 4 weeks later...

When I first started staying with my now wife I had a bad habit of letting wind go in the morning (as I thought all blokes did) and the relationship was made between the aroma and Pepe le Pew the cartoon character (a skunk) and the 66 is the year of my birth. The name stuck and it is used by me in lots of logins etc.

I first started working as a Decky when i was 15 or 16.Started on the local prawn boats.I also did time on the Combie Trader.

i then did land based jobs for a bit,then when long lining started up out of Mooloolaba i spent a few years going out to the deepwater on them.Then i got in the habit of going upto the gulf and staights on the prawn boats.

Came back home and found myself working on Charter boats out of Scarborough did this fulltime for a few years.Which leads me to now I work weekends on a charter boat and do a land based job during the week.

And the common thread here you guessed it ima Decky.

When I was a boy I asked my father "Papa how did your father name you?" "Well son my mother gave birth to me & my father came out of Tee Pee to see big black bear, so he named me Big Black Bear." The boy continued."So what of my two sisters names?" "Well son your first sister was born & I went out of Tee Pee to see little white dove & I named her Little White Dove. Your second sister was born & I came out from Tee Pee to see a herd of deer grazing so I named her Grazing Deer. Why do you ask Two Dogs F*%^ing?

Archived